YMCA vs Planet Fitness

Options
2»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Do a trial at each and decide after you evaluate.
  • Lacipeanut
    Lacipeanut Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I gave up on Planet Fitness and didn't join the Y here because the one thing I wanted was easy access to a pool. The Y's pool hours didn't match mine, so I checked out a local gym. Pool is open when I can get there. Otherwise, I'd probably have joined the Y. All things being equal, I liked the wider variety of equipment at the Y.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love my YMCA! It has separate adult and kiddie pools, tons of classes, two floors of cardio equipment, a full free weights area with two squat racks, and a good personal training staff. All things, I might add, that my local PF does not have. So for my area and for my goals, there's no contest between the Y and PF.

It's not fancy, but it's unpretentious and gets the job done for me and my whole family. I think the membership fee is absolutely worth it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    ♫♪ It's fun to sweat at the Y.M.C.A! It's fun to sweat at the Y.M.C.A!♫♪ (when you read that, you sang it) I choose Y over PF. 3 squat racks, 2 swimming pools, tons of classes you can participate in.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Y here, too, hands down.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    i think it depends on what you need, your budget, and the area you live in.

The Y has more services and classes (and usually a pool or two!) but it is a lot more expensive. The same goes for 'destination' type gyms (once just opened up in raleigh and my friend pays $140 a month) hey- its her checking account LOL

I go to a PF and have their $10 / month membership. I've been at all different times of day (from early morning to mid afternoon) and don't recall ever having to wait for cardio equipment (which is mainly what I use). If the strength training area is quiet, I'll often get on those machines after the elliptical and bike. It's super clean, well staffed and for me, its all I need. Is it for everyone? Well, considering theres a ton of people (esp on mfp) that think its horrible, obviously not, but like i said for ME.... it works, and I enjoy going.

go to both, get trial memberships, and see what one feels best to YOU.
  • angeleye69us
    Options
    mmitri12 wrote: »
    I've got both a YMCA and a Planet a Fitness near me. Debating which one to join. Both have equipment that I don't have at home. Any advice?

YMCA has all types machines classes pool sauna track I had planet fitness I wanted more variety
  • VagablondViking
    VagablondViking Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I pay for a Y membership (not bad when it's a household membership split three ways with my roommates) even though I could work out at my university's gym for free. The Y has a pool and more extensive hours. Also, I'd much rather workout with a wider age range instead of being trapped in a room with a bunch of teenagers in bootyshorts. Worth every penny. Definitely make use of free trials before you commit to either.
  • mmitri12
    mmitri12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I want to a mix of cardio and weights, plus acess to a pool in warmer weather. I eventually want to build up to doing a Disney marathon, plus lose weight. I have my goal on here at 150 pounds based off of my endrochinologist's advice, but want to eventually get in in 130 range.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Rura Penthe would be preferable to Planet Fitness...

If Planet Fitness has a shapeshifting supermodel -- where do I sign up?
  • ls1guy98
    ls1guy98 Posts: 5
    Options
    Had both. PF all day everyday. YMCA had way to many kids and young teens everywhere on everything. Although I've noticed a good bit of PF bashing on MFP, I think it's fine to get a good start into lifting or fitness in general.
  • Scorpiotwin
    Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used to be a member of the YMCA, but now I'm with PF. I work crazy hours so having 24 hour access is important. If you weight training I believe that you can accomplish a lot at PF. The Years does have more to offer, but they are way more expensive. A single membership at my Y was about $50. If you have kids the Y is better for families.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've been a member at both but much prefer the Y!