i feel like i'm doomed to exercise alone

Options
so now that i've been trying to get healthy i've joined a few 5k races. i cannot run since i'm still out of shape, but i've walked them and now i am actually trying to run during my treadmill workouts so down the road i can be awesome and run one.

i did 2 color runs last fall and had a blast with them and after trying to talk my husband into it, he's told me he thinks its stupid and i'm just wasting money. so then i've tried to talk a few friends from work into different races i've seen come up. one girl walks on the treadmill with me so i thought that was a sure thing, but now she's giving me excuses that she doesnt know if she's up to it due to an old ankle injury. another friend has been dying to take some sort of exercise class with me, but isnt into running. i've told them both i'd walk, i just want a friend to go with for more fun... no luck.

i cannot seriously be the only person who likes these things right?! i'm currently signed up for 7 for this year (including wipeout and i'm so excited) and i feel like i'm going to be the only person out there by themselves. it makes me feel like a loser with no friends AND i cant run...yet. to make matters worse, my MOM felt bad i went to a blood & guts run last year and tagged along. but she's super slow and i ended up having to leave her to be eaten by zombies so i could actually get a workout from it. she understood so i'm not a horrible daughter!!

are there ways to find other "singles" or small groups to go with/meet up with? are there meetups for things like this? there has to be other people who are not running/wanting to get into running but still shy to go alone to these events. i'm mostly just venting but any advice is welcome

Replies

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    so now that i've been trying to get healthy i've joined a few 5k races. i cannot run since i'm still out of shape, but i've walked them and now i am actually trying to run during my treadmill workouts so down the road i can be awesome and run one.

i did 2 color runs last fall and had a blast with them and after trying to talk my husband into it, he's told me he thinks its stupid and i'm just wasting money. so then i've tried to talk a few friends from work into different races i've seen come up. one girl walks on the treadmill with me so i thought that was a sure thing, but now she's giving me excuses that she doesnt know if she's up to it due to an old ankle injury. another friend has been dying to take some sort of exercise class with me, but isnt into running. i've told them both i'd walk, i just want a friend to go with for more fun... no luck.

i cannot seriously be the only person who likes these things right?! i'm currently signed up for 7 for this year (including wipeout and i'm so excited) and i feel like i'm going to be the only person out there by themselves. it makes me feel like a loser with no friends AND i cant run...yet. to make matters worse, my MOM felt bad i went to a blood & guts run last year and tagged along. but she's super slow and i ended up having to leave her to be eaten by zombies so i could actually get a workout from it. she understood so i'm not a horrible daughter!!

are there ways to find other "singles" or small groups to go with/meet up with? are there meetups for things like this? there has to be other people who are not running/wanting to get into running but still shy to go alone to these events. i'm mostly just venting but any advice is welcome

I'm the same way. I would live to sign up for races, but it is kind of boring without a buddy. Maybe just go early and find somebody there that wouldn't mind having a buddy too. Maybe you'll start a great new friendship.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Quite often the local running shoe/ clothing shops ( not so much the chains) do group training sessions, then run the race together. Also try your local rec centre they too do groups for runners and walkers.
    I am a walker, not a runner, and prefer being on my own, my partner will cheer me off at the start, and congratulate me at the end, but we don't do the event together.

Cheers, h.
  • retropactum
    retropactum Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I feel the same way. None of my friends take my weight loss and fitness journeys seriously and have no want to participate in events that I partake in. Even when I'm always there for their activities.

Check out MeetUp.com. I found a few fitness groups in my local area. There are hiking groups, sports groups, any hobby you can think of. You can manage to make a new set of friends that shares your goals and those people can be the ones you turn to for these type of events. :)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I've run a couple of races and I've done them all on my own (with people waiting to cheer for me at the end). I never felt like I was in the minority flying solo. The atmosphere at these things kind of creates a sense of camaraderie anyway.

If you like taking part in these events, just do it for you.

I see lots of notices put up in my gym and in the sports clothing shop I go to from people wanting to meet others to run or train with so that would be a good start, or perhaps there's a local Facebook group you could join to make acquaintances.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Try meetup.com and you can find all kinds of different meetups based on your interests or start a group yourself. I too wish to have a walk buddy but nothing for real in flesh.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    A lot of us have been there, op...

Look for a running group/club! There are runners groups everywhere, and have members of varying levels. Beginners welcome, and you'll get useful input on form, shoe reviews, training techniques, and even swap setlists (mp3) if you have musical chemistry with another runner. Craigslist has a groups section, or rrca *dot* org is Road Runners Club of America with a find a group section and forums.

There is a running community and culture and it's not a waste of money if you enjoy it. I think golf is a waste of money, but I wouldn't speak on behalf of a golfer. Don't let your hubby get you down.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! Part of my problem is that I work a graveyard shift.... And finding groups or running buddies who can/want to do it at the same time as I can is nigh unto impossible. I don't mind running solo. Not at all.... And I will continue, but it would be nice to have a friend to do races with. However, one thing I noticed from the last (okay and first) 5k I did was that they're a pretty friendly crowd. It was easy to find someone to talk to. Finding someone that can match my pace was harder. I was faster than all the walkers, but slower than all the runners.
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My new gym opened this week so maybe I'll meet people there, I had been working out at the office gym and that doesn't work lol. I'll definitely look at running groups. I didn't think I'd fit in there until I could run lol
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My new gym opened this week so maybe I'll meet people there, I had been working out at the office gym and that doesn't work lol. I'll definitely look at running groups. I didn't think I'd fit in there until I could run lol

We have walkers in ours.

You seem to sign up for the overly popular novelty races and its true those are typically done with friends. Stop supporting corporations and run local and youll find plenty of people who do it solo - running or walking
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Running is sort of a solitary activity. If you really want a social environment, start going to fitness classes. The good thing about that is you will get in shape in a group, be more able to run (you said you're out of shape, so probably it would be hard to find a running buddy who is also just starting) and it will be easier to find a buddy. Additionally, you might like the combination of social classes and solitary running.