Discouraged...why do I even work out 3-4 times a week for hour or more!?!?

Options
I am feeling very discouraged. I usually try to hit the gym at least 3 to 4 times a week after work or weekends and work out for 1 hour or more. My routine is 30 minute cardio usually the elliptical machine followed or mixed in with strength training that are some free weights and weight machines. I finish off with working up to 10 minutes more of cardio either Jacob's ladder or the stair stepper machine. I rejoined the gym Jan 10 so it's been about 2 months now and I am not seeing any results. My daily calorie intake is usually 1300 and sometimes not that, I don't eat back my exercised burned cals either. I keep track of my cals burn with my Polar FT7 Heart rate monitor watch. I am not loosing any weight??? I had lost alot of weight in 2012 and 2013 hit my personal weight goal in April 2013 and since then some pounds have came back on that I am trying to loose. I have gained instead of loss in the last two months also. I am very truthful about logging my food...the good and the bad! I am wondering why I even bother to hit the gym and pay the monthly fee!! HELP!!!

Replies

• Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The gym is for stregnth fitness and general health, it can aid in creating a deficit. If there is a hold up after two months it must be with your math concerning calories. Have some others look over your diary to see if something is amiss.
  • karinagw
    karinagw Posts: 25
    Options
    Is there the possibility that you are losing fat but gaining muscle (which is heavier)? Ignoring the scale, have your measurements changed?
  • lynnk1971
    lynnk1971 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Have you took any measurements? I used to run 4-5 times a week but last couple of weeks tried strength training... Ive gained 3lb but lost 1 1/2 inches from my waist an anch off my hips 1/2 inch from my arms... I was only 10lb off my target weight!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Has your cardiovascular fitness improved, or your strength? Those are the reasons you should work out. Cardio is also fairly useful for burning a few extra calories to fit an extra bit of food indulgence into your diet. Careful logging coupled with a sensible calorie deficit is more useful for weight loss.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Four things:

1) What you eat and how much you eat will determine your fat loss. Exercise is designed to improve other facets of fitness (cardiovascular, strength, mobility, balance, speed, etc).

2) Your effort in the gym seems quite adhoc with no real emphasis toward anything other than taking up an hour.

3) What got you here, won’t get you there (that’s the title of a good book, but seemed appropriate here). The body has the really cool survival mechanism that says, if you’re going to starve me and try to do these things, I’ll just shut down other things until we find an adequate supply of food. You should always eat back your exercise calories, because you need to energy to do the next workout (see #1 above). Again, your eating seems quite adhoc.

4) Weight is a single data point, and not a very meaningful one at that. It is like seeing you have gas in the tank and not paying any attention to the other gauges (oil, heat, rpm, etc.). You should be more concerned with body composition. Instead of (or in addition to if you can’t help yourself) you should be taking body measurements (neck, chest, stomach, waist, hips, upper arms, upper legs). Your effort in the gym, and your eating plans should be designed to change these. We all carry fat a little differently, so you’ll know which of your measurements you’ll want to see move down.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Make sure you enjoy your exercise because it is chiefly for energy and health. It won't directly help with weight loss.

Experiment with a slightly lower daily calorie restriction (assuming you are over the 1200 daily).
  • nataliejenkins123
    nataliejenkins123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    karinagw wrote: »
    Is there the possibility that you are losing fat but gaining muscle (which is heavier)? Ignoring the scale, have your measurements changed?
    I agree and was going to say this!!!
    Ive been strict at 1200 cals staying under 100g carbs and exercising 3 x a week doing pretty much what you are but doing high intensity interval training as my cardio but ive only lost a pound here and there, sooooo disheartened but my brother told me that what I'm prob losing in fat im gaining back in muscle... So the hubby took pics of me and I used a photo editor to put them side by side and the differnce is noticeable!!! I suggest you take measurements and take pics???
    Failing that you may need to mix your training up a bit as you may have hit the 'plateau' x
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Four things:

1) What you eat and how much you eat will determine your fat loss. Exercise is designed to improve other facets of fitness (cardiovascular, strength, mobility, balance, speed, etc).

2) Your effort in the gym seems quite adhoc with no real emphasis toward anything other than taking up an hour.

3) What got you here, won’t get you there (that’s the title of a good book, but seemed appropriate here). The body has the really cool survival mechanism that says, if you’re going to starve me and try to do these things, I’ll just shut down other things until we find an adequate supply of food. You should always eat back your exercise calories, because you need to energy to do the next workout (see #1 above). Again, your eating seems quite adhoc.

4) Weight is a single data point, and not a very meaningful one at that. It is like seeing you have gas in the tank and not paying any attention to the other gauges (oil, heat, rpm, etc.). You should be more concerned with body composition. Instead of (or in addition to if you can’t help yourself) you should be taking body measurements (neck, chest, stomach, waist, hips, upper arms, upper legs). Your effort in the gym, and your eating plans should be designed to change these. We all carry fat a little differently, so you’ll know which of your measurements you’ll want to see move down.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4rHY9AmPJOX5fZEumABubtdrOvaJYny2pamDKA7VzvmWf3zx1
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Ive been strict at 1200 cals staying under 100g carbs and exercising 3 x a week doing pretty much what you are but doing high intensity interval training as my cardio but ive only lost a pound here and there, sooooo disheartened but my brother told me that what I'm prob losing in fat im gaining back in muscle... So the hubby took pics of me and I used a photo editor to put them side by side and the differnce is noticeable!!! I suggest you take measurements and take pics???
    Failing that you may need to mix your training up a bit as you may have hit the 'plateau' x

NO NO NO

Why do people insist on this???

You are NOT gaining muscle mass (at least not enough in sufficient quantity to mask weight loss) eating 1200 or 1300 calories a day.

Please for the love of all that's holy stop repeating this nonsense.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

NOOOOOOOO
  • jennifershoo
    Options

NOOOOOOOOOO
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    OP, you are underestimating what you eat and overestimating your calorie burn.
  • karinagw
    Options
    To the NOOOOOOO people. Then, how do you account for those whose weight hasn't significantly changed but their measurements have dropped? Are you saying that it's solely due to toning?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food before you log it, or just logging how much you thought it was?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sorry you CAN lose weight directly from calories burned, its not much different from food not eaten. Exercise can be highly valuable for that and increasing metabolism.

The thing that people forget is you have to do a lot of it and tbh most people overestimate the amount they do and the effort they put in. They then use inflated numbers from some of MFP or some machine readings which has the potential to be inaccurate.

If you do enough then calories burned can be a real boon.

Agree with Allanmisner on points 2 and 4.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    To the NOOOOOOO people. Then, how do you account for those whose weight hasn't significantly changed but their measurements have dropped? Are you saying that it's solely due to toning?

Water loss, fluid redistribution, localised fat loss. Toning doesn't exist - you lose fat OR build muscle outside some pretty specific exceptions, which do not apply here.

^^ This

Or...even more likely... they're eating more/burning less than they think they are and are just not that accurate at measuring
  • karinagw
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you. Screaming Nooo is not helpful. Explaining why a commonly held misbelief is wrong is.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Sorry you CAN lose weight directly from calories burned, its not much different from food not eaten. Exercise can be highly valuable for that and increasing metabolism.

The thing that people forget is you have to do a lot of it and tbh most people overestimate the amount they do and the effort they put in. They then use inflated numbers from some of MFP or some machine readings which has the potential to be inaccurate.

If you do enough then calories burned can be a real boon.

Agree with Allanmisner on points 2 and 4.

Who said said you couldn't? Lol

All we are are saying is you need to be in a in a deficit. Plain and simple.