What Do You Like as Good Sources of Iron?

Options
Packerjohn
Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
Title says it. 2 out last 4 times I tried to donate blood I was told my iron was low. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting enough in my diet. Eat a ton of chicken breast but red meat once a week at most.

Going to discuss with the doctor in a couple days. Thanks.

Replies

• tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong with spinach.
  • otheliemoor
    otheliemoor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Liver
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Packaged breakfast cereal. If you don't want a whole bowl, throw some Grapenuts on your yogurt. Citrus helps your body absorb iron, so a strawberry spinach salad is great.

My Doctor recommended a supplement taken with orange juice. If you take a one-a-day, check to be sure it has iron (most will have child proof caps). Iron is less common than it used to be, it's dangerous if children take to much.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    The orange juice idea is good (iron absorption is aided by foods high in vitamin C) but beware of calcium-fortified OJ. Calcium blocks iron absorption.

Foods high in iron: meat, fish, poultry, beans, dried fruit, green leafy vegetables, fortified cereals breads and pastas. Try to eat these foods with foods high in vitamin c and 2 hours apart from foods high in calcium.

FWIW, the test for anemia they use at the blood mobiles is set higher than what you'd typically see on a lab test. Meaning, you could be turned away from giving blood for low iron and test out at your doctor's office as NOT being anemic.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love my gluten free rice chex. 1C has 50%DV.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

Definitely spinach, raw in salad, wilted in soups, roasted/stir fried with other veg and lean meats.

• Packerjohn
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hstull82 wrote: »
    I love my gluten free rice chex. 1C has 50%DV.
    Thanks for the comment. In an effort to be healthy I quit eating the typical breakfast cereals (that tend to be fortified with iron) and started with various Kashi cereals. The ones in our cabinet now don't have any iron but a cup of the Rice Krispies in there has 50% of RDA of iron.

The GNC Mega-Men multi I take doesn't have any iron in it either.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »

FWIW, the test for anemia they use at the blood mobiles is set higher than what you'd typically see on a lab test. Meaning, you could be turned away from giving blood for low iron and test out at your doctor's office as NOT being anemic.

Thanks. Actually I was turned down initially twice, but the second time they checked another finger and it was okay, but figured it had to be low by their standards.
  • ms6serenity
    Options
    Put flax seeds in your spinach salad;)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,920 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Definitely spinach, raw in salad, wilted in soups, roasted/stir fried with other veg and lean meats.
    Iron in spinach is not absorbed well, very low actually but if eat it with something high in vitamin C (acidic) like a salad or have it with meat, especially beef the absorption is increased dramatically.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15880905