HELP! Blood burst from my nose while working out!

Options
2»

Replies

• trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Are you using a nose spray for allergies? Flonase and it's generic list nosebleeds as a side effect. Just a thought.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I doubt you need to go to a clinic...you were sick and you tried to do speedwork. Ease back into exercise with lower-intensity stuff first.
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I used to get impromptu nosebleeds. Either through exertion when playing lacrosse or even if I got over-excited! It would bleed very heavily and would eventually stop when the clotting mechanism did its job and many boxes of Kleenex later.

Eventually my GP referred me to a ear, nose and throat surgeon who looked up my nose and said that I had a blood vessel that was quite large and very close to the surface and almost protruding from the mucosal lining....a bit like a nasal varicose vein!
    He said that just a normal sudden elevation in blood pressure would make this vein burst.
    He made a swab and dipped it in some sort of acid and carefully dabbed the vein with it to "kill" it off. That was it. This was back in the 70's so maybe they use a more modern method now like a pulsed laser, I don't know.

Not painful at the time but got a little uncomfortable by the time I reached the hospital car park when it felt as if someone had punched me on the nose! The discomfort did not last long at all.

I never had a nosebleed again.

I would get it checked out just to be on the safe side.