Booze and your workouts

Options

Replies

• rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    log it all but it has an effect on how i workout the next day so have to be careful. one glass of wine can make me feel crappy. a far cry from my younger days
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I'm in a calorie deficit right now. If I go out and have a few (too many) beers like I do on occasion, then the main workout-related issues for me are dehydration for my next morning run (which is easily managed if I can just remember to do it) and not having enough fuel (actual food) from the evening before to perform well on my run.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I only drink a couple times a month, so when I do, it's only 2-3 drinks and I'm done (and I still might even feel mildly hung over the next day!). So I never drink the days before really long marathon training runs. However, warm spring days and summer are right around the corner... and post-run shandy is a shining beacon of hope in the last miles of an 18 mile run. :) But generally, I find that alcohol isn't really worth the calories nor the headache (literally).
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a good heavy calorie beer every night.....usually about 200 calories or thereabouts. I will drink it maybe an hour or two before bedtime. I love my beer and just fit it in my calorie count.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Every evening for me. Beer and whiskey. Never to the point that I can't get up for my morning workout though.

After a hard long ride or run, invariably I will "rehydrate" with a nice beer.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I drink beer and switched over to corona because it *seems* lighter. But since the holidays, I've been enjoying wine and champagne. I have to be careful with the latter because it goes right to my head.

I will state however, that I lost definition in my abs from all the drinking. I was probably going out 3-4x week.
  • marlea211
    marlea211 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Personally I find drinking stalls my weight loss and as another user wrote makes me less careful about what I put in my mouth. I drink Malibu and diet pepsi or wine. Wine seems to slow me more because of all the sugar. I gave up margaritas and daquaris or any cream liquors. So it all depends on my goals. If I'm serious I might drink one drink in a week. If I'm not so serious I still count it. My weight will stall for three days after consuming more than 2 drinks. No matter what the poison.
    Good post. Thank you. I've enjoyed what others are saying.
  • Lovefastball99
    Lovefastball99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. More than welcome to see the amount I drink and how often. I have been very open in multiple threads about my consumption. I like it. I won't give it up. And I fit it into my calories.

NORMALLY I do not see a change in my performance at the gym. If I have a heavy late night... I will be sluggish and I must rehydrate and wait until the afternoon to workout. But that is so seldom that I don't worry about it.

Usually I drink 1-2 glasses of wine or 2-3
    Double rum and sprites. I'm about to test out the rum with a different mixer to see if I can shave off 100 calories. Cheers
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Every evening for me. Beer and whiskey. Never to the point that I can't get up for my morning workout though.

You and I must have shopped at the same liver store. Sometimes I swear I am immune to alcohol...

• glevinso
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

You and I must have shopped at the same liver store. Sometimes I swear I am immune to alcohol...

Mine is well trained, that's for sure :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Alcohol consumption and its affect on performance is a very personal thing. For me, I drink some wine or beer with dinner most nights (not enough to have any sort of hangover or anything) and I have found little to no affect on my training or ability to build muscle (when I was bulking).
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    When I started out I would factor it into my calorie budget, but I just couldn't justify 500 calories on booze. Now I give myself 2 days a week to indulge. On one day it has to fit into my calorie budget and the other day is cheat day.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    troytroy11 wrote: »
    Dopeitup that must be about 3 to 4 drinks a day?

Depends on how you look at it. It was one large-format bottle of beer most days. So 22-25.4 ounces of an 8-10% ABV beer typically. Roughly 500 calories. Some days more, some days less. This was every day for around 3 years, I had around 1200 unique beers in that time.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    I haven't drink since last October but when I did..I usually drink after my workout on a Friday.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Olivia that is a very wise choice and a combo that has its potential of causing me to work out unintentionally so I try to avoid it however it sounds great!
    Springfield best of luck when you do your try outs and you are right the list IS endless. Don't forget to have fun though that is the whole point.
    Rachy that is funny how that happens isn't it? I can still pull an all nighter but my body is less forgiving now days.
    4leighbee what calorie do you sacrifice for alcohol for your workouts? For me it is fat I don't like the way the two burn together.
    Kristine I envy your ability to be sensitive to 3 drinks however the headache next day is not worth it. 18 mile run? Keep up the good work!
    Curt the heavy calorie beer is something I really enjoy as well but I do switch to light and red beer in the hotter months. The added tomato helps.
  • troytroy11
    Options
    Glevinso, do you rehydrate with the beer before water? I have done that on occasion but read that is bad. I feel no different when I do.
    Sunglasses Corona is in fact lighter but it is almost like you have to put lemon or lime in it or something and that can be a hassle. It does have less calories.
    Marlea I find the hardest thing of all is to consistently over time keep track of the drinks. Sometimes I want to lie to myself but I end up tracking the right amount. Thank you for saying it is a great post! It IS awesome to read what everyone is saying and VERY helpful. Thank you!
    LoveFastBall it seems like the rum would be a little harder to work with considering what it is made from but you may actually be able to utilize those calories from the rum better than others. Instead of sprite, try just club soda and lemon juice?

• troytroy11
    Options
    Lonewolf I do not remember being hung over with whiskey in decent amounts. Not a bad choice really.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Glevinso, do you rehydrate with the beer before water? I have done that on occasion but read that is bad. I feel no different when I do.

Well, it is fairly common for me to start and end my big rides at the local brew pub. At the end of 5+ hours in the saddle, there is nothing like dropping into the pub and ordering a giant beer. Granted I always start with a lighter one (no stouts, porters or anything like that). I usually will ask for a glass of water as well, but to be honest I rarely actually drink more than a few sips of it (I stay plenty hydrated while actually riding).

• mrscouponer
    mrscouponer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think it all comes down to balance. Just like we hear it is valuable to have a good work/life balance, it is important to have a good diet/life balance. Eat (and drink) to live, not the other way around. With that mindset, you can look at your goals, life events, etc. and decide what is best for you. Maybe it is periods of abstaining from alcohol to meet a fitness goal. Or maybe you know that Saturday with the guys is going to involve more than two beers and you cut back calories throughout the week to compensate.

I completely agree.... I don't drink to excess..... Rarely very ... But I do have 4-4 oz of wine... It's all about moderations and following your values and goals...
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    ... 4leighbee what calorie do you sacrifice for alcohol for your workouts? For me it is fat I don't like the way the two burn together.

I am not organized enough to have a good answer for this. I watch sports and play pool once a week usually, and my favorite thing to eat at the bar (for "dinner") is melted cheese over French fries (small portion but lots of cheese). I am not your model MFP participant. :blush: I usually run long that day to build up my available calories and eat less of everything throughout the day so I can feel less guilty by the end of the evening. Not the "right" answer, but it is the truth. I also have the next day off so I can run long again. It works for me. I'm obviously not a perfectionist when it comes to this journey.