Looking for a great fitness tracker

I am looking for a fitness tracker but not just any tracker. Of course it needs to do the typical stuff like step counts, distance, etc.

However, I need something that will map my run without my phone. There are times where I just want to leave my phone at home and track my progress via a map.

It also can not be bulky. I was looking at the Magellan Echo Fit but it just looks bulky. Bulky is not good if I want to wear during soccer games to track my progress.

Replies

• I_am_WonderWoman
    I_am_WonderWoman Posts: 10 Member
    I have the Fitbit Surge and really like it. It has GPS and shows me my pace, average pace, and HR while I run. It makes a map of my runs, also mapping out my HR and calories burned. It also shows my splits. The watch is a little bulky and definitely is not as sleek as the other models.
  • Looking at gettin this for my birthday...
    ym3bacww51p2.jpg
  • Lacipeanut
    Lacipeanut Posts: 28 Member
    I love the Misfit Shine. Doesn't track stairs or heart rate, but you can run without your phone and it does pick that up automatically. With an adjustment on your phone prior to exercise, it'll do swimming, yoga, and a few others. They're working on more algorithms. Once the adjustment is made on the phone, you don't take it with you. When you sync after your workout, it assigns calories and points. I tried it cycling the other day. Worked beautifully. Next: the POOL!!!!
  • qwikstreet
    qwikstreet Posts: 94 Member
    I was looking at the Fitbit Surge but the price tag is hard to overcome right now. However it is the slimmest gps style tracker I've come across. Hopefully a good deal comes across slickdeals.net for one.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    qwikstreet wrote: »
    It also can not be bulky. I was looking at the Magellan Echo Fit but it just looks bulky. Bulky is not good if I want to wear during soccer games to track my progress.

Soccer leagues will typically not allow you to wear a watch during a game, as it is a rule violation and a safety hazard.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    I love my Fibit Charge HR
  • dawn_noelle29
    dawn_noelle29 Posts: 114 Member
    edited March 2015
    I use a VivoSmart by Garmin and it's amazing - you can buy the one with the HRM strap which from what I hear is more accurate than one that is built in to the wrist band. It can be used in water, it's comfortable, it syncs with your phone so you'll receive text messages or calls through it, and you can skip and play your music with it. If you're looking for one that you can map your run, this one isn't for you.
  • qwikstreet
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Soccer leagues will typically not allow you to wear a watch during a game, as it is a rule violation and a safety hazard.
    That I am fully aware of. Over the summer I play about 3 scrimmage games a week against our high school squads and want to know how far I run out on the wing and also when I am playing keeper.
  • qwikstreet
    Anyone use the Garmin Forerunner 10? I see the price of them just dropped under $100. Not bad for a GPS watch. If you have one, how does it do for just a night of walking after dinner or a bike ride?

Any issues having Garmin Connect transfer data to mapmyfiness?
  • coryrood
    coryrood Posts: 100 Member
    Polar M400
  • NofatdaddyMike
    NofatdaddyMike Posts: 574 Member
    M400 all the way!
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 90 Member

I had so many issues with Garmin Connect that went out and bought the Polar M400.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    No issues with Garmin Connect here. It feeds Strava and MFP for me without problems.
  • NofatdaddyMike
    NofatdaddyMike Posts: 574 Member
    I had a Vivofit and considered the FR15 but didn't like have to sync by cable only. I also had problems with the Garmin Connect. Days without being able to sync on phone or website, things like that. Made me mad enough to switch. Plus I wanted something to step up my game. No regrets. +
  • mwyvr
    I only use the cable for charging.

While I thought wireless sync was a bit of a splurge I'm very glad I went for it. I've got the FR620 and find the Bluetooth sync works absolutely flawlessly every single time. It also has WiFi sync: that is more hit and miss. My guess is it has a low power transceiver (would have to) which makes only a tenuous connection in the house. No matter, Bluetooth sync via my phone is great.

The FR620 isn't a general purpose activity / fitness tracker though. I got it very specifically for running which is what it was designed for. Firmware later added cycling support that meets my needs.

I use my phone for keeping an eye on my daily movement via Google Fit, but I don't use those stats anywhere. Usually when I'm out moving with purpose it's a run or a ride anyway.
  • itsmeGennie
    itsmeGennie Posts: 39 Member
    Anyone use the Garmin Forerunner 10? I see the price of them just dropped under $100. Not bad for a GPS watch. If you have one, how does it do for just a night of walking after dinner or a bike ride?

I think it depends - they just had an overhaul that they still have not finished - it links with everything I need Strava, smashrun, mfp,daily mile.

I like my FR15 but I kind of wish I had a "prettier" watch.

• mwyvr

I think it depends - they just had an overhaul that they still have not finished - it links with everything I need Strava, smashrun, mfp,daily mile.

I like my FR15 but I kind of wish I had a "prettier" watch.

• mwyvr
    edited April 2015
    Pretty?

n3lw0j0kbogr.jpg

The FR220 and FR620 are not bad that way... Sure is lighter and less bulky than older generations.

It is currently pouring outside, and that's one of the reasons I use a fully waterproof device instead of my phone. I've already killed one phone screen with rain and sweat.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    When you say track via a map do you mean simply record your data or do you want map like display while out?
  • qwikstreet
    I was looking to track and not display. I ended up starting with the Garmin FR10. With my coupons and points, I got it for about $60. It's good for running and cycling but that is about it. I also use it when coaching soccer for the stopwatch.

Maybe if I use it enough I can justify spending about $200 on a good one.