Any tips to help avoid late night cravings?

Options
I'm new to this and miserable. I feel like I'm forcing myself not to eat. Any suggestions to help avoid this feeling rather than giving in?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Save a few calories during the day to snack before you go to bed?
  • junestarrr
    junestarrr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough protein during the day. It really helps me feel content late at night.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Save a few calories during the day to snack before you go to bed?

This ^
    Don't fight it. Now, and when I was here before, I have a snack every night. Just add your night snack into your diary first, then spread the rest of your calories around your meals.
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Eating some cottage cheese before bed works. The protein in it takes some time to break down, so your stomach will be busy 'eating' that until you wake up for breakfast.

Throughout the day... If you're hungry, eat! Make sure you aren't starving yourself accidentally, really get to know your macros and your BMR/tdee. You don't have to track obsessively, just shoot for a ball park range, and you'll be fine.
  • MsBeverleyH
    MsBeverleyH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    erikgoya wrote: »
    Throughout the day... If you're hungry, eat! Make sure you aren't starving yourself accidentally, really get to know your macros and your BMR/tdee. You don't have to track obsessively, just shoot for a ball park range, and you'll be fine.

^^ Exactly. (And also agreeing with the folks saying to save calories for the evening.) You should not be starving by the end, or even ever, of your day.

I wanted to lose weight quickly so I was only consuming 1200 calories a day - I was absolutely miserable. I've since bumped up my calories a bit, and I'm much happier while also losing weight. :smile: You just need to figure out that sweet spot: where you're not starving, but you're still losing weight!

As also previously mentioned: protein is your friend. Veggies, fibre, whole grains, legumes...are also your friend.

You CAN do this!
  • SlimBride2Be2016
    SlimBride2Be2016 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I found that ghiradelli dark chocolate works, it's filling and it's beneficial health wise. I eat a square or two and cravings disappear. I don't even like dark chocolate but hey it works.. 72% cocoa and 67 cals a square..
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you can't save the extra calories, go to bed early and read a good book
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Miserable should bring up alarm bells. having seen your previous post hen id urge you to learn abut weight loss and properly prepare so you diet can be as effective as possible as well as avoiding the common mistakes of others and the ones that have thrown you off on previous attempts. This time should be different and significanly improved.

In answer to your question above, then you might consider:

1. Get the math right so you don attempt too severe a deficit. At your traget you should be able to still eat a substantial amount.
    2. Ease yourself into getting to your final deficit so you can adjust. 2-3 weeks isnt unreasonable.
    3. Make sure you pick a diet that will fill you up as well as providing good nutrition. Hunger isnt fun.
    4. Spread your calories to hit the importnat points for you during the day. As suggested above putting some calories behind for snacks is useful.
    5. Often your body can mistake thirst for hunger. So drink some water and then wait 15 mins to see if it goes away. You should be keeping yourself hydrated anyway.
    6. Consider adopting exercise as part of your plan to earn more calories.

7. As you are new then feeling miserable, feeling you are forcing yourself sounds too difficult and id be concerned about you keeping that up for many months. I'd start again by preparing, learning how to log,buying some kitchen scales, working out what you need to eat, how you might exercise, getting friends. All non food restriction, but things you should be doing to make your diet effective.

If the water strategy doesnt work, you cnat find an alternative activity, walk, music, bath tv, then its not the end of the world if you eat. Try and avoid bingeing, so moderate, but imo hunger is a waste of time.
  • Twilight_skies1313
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice, this is really helpful! :)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Eat 30 grams of pistachios around 8:00. Helps me every time!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Prelog your day to include the late night snacks.
  • kat_lifts
    kat_lifts Posts: 56
    Options
    Casein protein powder helps me. Its typically sweet; in flavors like french vanilla, chocolate, and cookies & creme. Its the same concepts as the cottage cheese tip that was suggested; its a slow digesting protein and will be sustained release while you sleep. Additionally, to the source of protein, it is super filling!

Hope this helps!
  • Fayeworth
    Fayeworth Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have your evening meal a little later so you don't get hungry so soon before bed.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure you're eating enough and that your deficit is not too aggressive. While theoretically you could lose at a rate of 2 pounds a week, if you're miserable doing it, it's okay to go slower.
    2. Shift around your macro balance to include more protein and fat. Both are satiating. Make sure your last meal includes a good bit of both.
    3. Pre-log your day to allow yourself a protein/fatty snack after dinner like nuts or peanut butter (weighed, of course) or a hard boiled egg.
  • beautyzlight
    Options
    If you can't save the extra calories, go to bed early and read a good book
    Indeed
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Either save some calories for a snack later or do something like take a long bath. I often make a big cup of tea/coffee in the evening if I haven't saved enough calories for a snack. We eat dinner quite early as we have young kids (usually 5-5:30pm) so once they're in bed it's nice to sit down with a cup of tea and my Kindle.

Also make sure you're not restricting yourself too much. If you're under eating then you will be hungry by the evening.