So depressed about weight.

Options
Hello,

I have been using MFP off and on since April, I have been working out since last year and have lost 0 that's ZERO lbs..so I started tracking my weight and taking a supplement...so guess what I have gained 5lbs. I am now 5'8" and weigh 180. I am sitting crying because I can't figure out what to do. I am just so depressed about it all I don't know what to do. I have 3 kids under 10 and a husband who loves me but I hate the way I look. I was always the skinny girl, I weight 145 when I got pregnant with my first and it has just never gone away. I now weigh the same amount i did the DAY I GAVE BIRTH to my daughter 3 yrs ago.

ughhh

susan

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Try tracking here consistently not on and off. Weight loss will happen if you track religiously and not on and off. Exercise does not equal weight loss. It is mainly diet.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Hey there Susan,

You have to be ON to work. Log everything that goes in your mouth. Be brutally honest about it, good bad and the ugly. You can do this but you have to truly want to do it.

Here to help :)

Jen
  • bug1106
    bug1106 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I have no kids but its so depressing to not feel beautiful. Some tips a few people tell me is to track. Ever single thing that you put in your mouth. muscle weighs more than fat so maybe your weight is from muscle. Have you taken measurements? that helps me out a lot when i am feeling down, like this week in have been in a depression hole.
  • paigemulroe
    paigemulroe Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Try tracking here consistently not on and off. Weight loss will happen if you track religiously and not on and off. Exercise does not equal weight loss. It is mainly diet.

I agree, I have only been on here for six days now, but consistency does seem like that is what is needed to succeed. I still do understand how frustrating it is to not lose weight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat daily (on average if it varies)? What type of exercise do you do and for how long and how often?
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    Totaly understand, I was have been tracking for a week now exercising every day, but didn't weight when I started because my scale was broken (figured I was starting at 180 which is not good at 5'1"). Bought a scale yesterday and was so excited to weigh this morning and almost cried when it said I now weight 183.8! Spoke to my friend and she reminded me it's not just about the scale take time to meassure your self inches are more important thand weight! So when I go home tonight I will meassure, and try again next week! Hang in there stay consistent, I always hated it when people would tell me only you can fix it...but honestly it is in our hands, so stay accountable and lean on us for support! Best wishes!
  • sphenisciforme
    Options
    It is possible - I started at 188 and am way below that now - my best buy was a food scale - I have it under my plate when I dish up my food, zeroing it before adding each item, and log everything. You soon become used to doing it, but as others have said, doing it consistently is the key. Add me if you wish.
  • nyqueensguy
    nyqueensguy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have a somewhat similar story. This time I'm counting everything that goes in my mouth!! its only been ten days and Im still only down 3lbs. I know its from overeating. ive been working out every week and actually gained weight!
  • susantlawrence
    Options
    I average around 1200 or 1300 a day and I work out by running 30 minutes then cycling 45 and then I lift free weights doing legs one day and arms/back the next 5 days a week
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Just my guess, you are not eating enough given your height and activity level.

Figure your TDEE based on current exercise/activity level and eat at a 15-20% deficit. That should result in a loss of about 1 to 1.5/lb per week.

That's what is working for me.
  • bearcrusher
    Options
    So sorry you are having a tough time with your weight loss. I have heard the horror stories of trying to lose weight when you aren't that large (180 isn't some giant number like 400 lbs)

The only advice I'd have for you is get good at logging everything you eat. I know it's a pain at first but if you do gain weight at the end of a week you can at least look back and see what you think might have caused the problem.

Anyways I'd love to add you as a friend and maybe we can motivate and work together to lose those extra lbs.
    -Mark
  • lal2600
    lal2600 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Something what I do that has helped in not only do I log everything I put in my mouth but I think about what I'm going to eat and sometimes look it up first and see how many carbs, protein, fat & sugar it has and revamp how I cook or decide not to eat it at all. So before has helped me not just after the fact. It has changed how I look at things.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not trying to make wrong conclusions here, but are you being consistent with your eating/exercising routines? That was just my thoughts when I read that you've been using MFP 'off and on' for a cpl months now. If so, there's no shame...you just have to work on being more dedicated. I think many people are on that boat here and there. I've just recently gotten back into a better routine after falling off track for...months!!

I don't know what you're doing, but I've found that I've been pretty successful (lost 33 lbs over 3 months) by making a few simple changes: breakfast every day, at least 10 glasses water every day, no snacking between meals, listening to my stomach and STOPPING eating when I'm full and by walking a few miles a week or cutting grass.

However, when I'm feeling more vulnerable, and I mindlessly eat junk food (once or twice a week), it does damper my progress. I started my journey June 2012 and have been weighing and documenting my weight faithfully every week. Although I quit losing weight for about 10 months, at least I stayed at where I was.

I know some people may think weekly weigh-ins might be too often, but it helps keep me going.

Good luck! Feel free to add me...I can try to offer support & can use some too! :-)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Just my guess, you are not eating enough given your height and activity level.

Figure your TDEE based on current exercise/activity level and eat at a 15-20% deficit. That should result in a loss of about 1 to 1.5/lb per week.

That's what is working for me.

Yup. me too
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've done MFP for about 3 years. During the "off and on" times, I've lost about 0 pounds (lost some and gained some). During the "On" times is where I lost weight. So my advice is to push yourself to stick to a program and log your food every week. It's surprising how much you forget or badly estimate when you are just doing it in your head - write it down. Good luck!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I average around 1200 or 1300 a day and I work out by running 30 minutes then cycling 45 and then I lift free weights doing legs one day and arms/back the next 5 days a week

I'm sorry you're feeling so down. So many of us have been there. I know I have. The 1200 calorie + working out thing didn't work for me, either. You're probably more active than you think and your body needs more fuel. I'd suggest you change your goals here to lose 1 pound per week and eat at least half of your exercise calories, if not all. Log your calories consistently everyday. You must be consistent. Pretty soon you'll be so hopeful and positive about your weight loss and fitness that days like this will be a thing of the past. Give it a try. :flowerforyou:
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    They (wilsoje74 and jwhited71) are right on... As they say, Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. Log log log, make sure you workout, and workout hard! Don't just go through the motions. Change things up, rely on MFP and other friends for support and then you should start seeing changes. Feel free to add me, I am on MFP almost every day...
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

THIS! You have to be consistent with logging (exercise helps, but weight loss (number wise) is mainly your diet/ what and how much you eat). When I'm not tracking on here, my weight will stay pretty much the same, give or take a few pounds. It stays the same whether I exercise or not. However, when I log regularly I don't have any problem losing weight. I'm not dropping pounds super quick, but the scale does go down. Give it time. Try logging consistently for at least a month before weighing yourself again. Good luck!
  • kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere "Your body keeps meticulous track of what you consume whether you do or not"

As others have said...consistency is king. Easier said that done sometimes though.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options

EAT MORE!! You are burning up lean body mass by not feeding your exercise. Be honest with your calculations, and use TDEE-20% as your daily goal.