Speed up metabolism and calorie count?

Options
Hey all,
I've been working with my doctor on losing weight for about 4 months now. I haven't made much progress for one excuse or another. However, one of the reasons he said it would difficult for me to lose the weight is because my metabolism is sluggish and needs a "kick in the butt." He said to do that I could go as low as 1600 calories safely without any dangers and that would work.
This worries me tremendously, because I'm at around 2500 calories right now, and that's already cut. I NEED to lose weight for health reasons, and preferably a small chunk quickly so I can start exercising (physical health reasons) with a less likely chance of injury.
Questions are:
Is it really healthy to cut that many calories so quickly?
Is there anyway I can start to speed up my metabolism?
Would it be healthy to aim for 2-3lbs/wk for the first two months, then cut down to 1 pound a week there after?
Any knowledge would be appreciated - thank you!

Replies

• RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I actually have no clue what I'm eating. But I do know I'm maintaining. I have no clue. I do lose weight fairly slow. But I'm hoping to find a way to get it going a little faster. I'm 6ft even and weight about 284lbs
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So, you have no clue what you are eating, which means you could be eating 4000 calories easily? Why would you lose weight then?
    As for the 1600 calories, my maintenance without exercise is around 1450 to stay in a healthy weight, so, if the question is whether 1600 is some sort of starvation, the answer is no. I eat around 1600 -1700 with a few hours or running and streght training per week, which is about the average for most women with a sedentary lifestyle, it is not particularly low.

Try this calculator:
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    Even if you were eating truly 2500 calories, it looks like this is above maintenance if you are mostly sedentary
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Would it be healthy to aim for 2-3lbs/wk for the first two months, then cut down to 1 pound a week there after?

That should be fine.

You weren't clear if you have a true medical disorder affecting your metabolism, like hypothyroidism. If so, fix that. If not, just be more active. And start logging what you're eating, accurately. Read the stickies at the top of this forum.

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on where you are at now. LOG whatever you eat normally and whatever you DO normally to see where you are coming from. Only then can you see where you need to go, and the changes you need to make.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I started here a lot heavier than you and just followed the MFP guidelines for losing 2lbs per week but it came off quicker than that at the start. If I were you I'd try the same but it will mean logging your food carefully so you know as surely as possible that you aren't exceeding your calorie goal. People often just want a quick fix but cutting your calories too drastically may actually slow your metabolism rather than boost it as your body does it's best to cope with the perceived famine by releasing the energy more slowly. A 2lbs deficit and increasing your exercise now rather than waiting (gentle walking or swimming - whatever you can manage) will get you off to a great start. No point talking about increased deficit if you're not actually logging your food. Make it too hard for yourself and you'll never be able to stick with it.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    So, you have no clue what you are eating, which means you could be eating 4000 calories easily? Why would you lose weight then?

Try this calculator:
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    Even if you were eating truly 2500 calories, it looks like this is above maintenance if you are mostly sedentary

I am POSITIVE I'm not eating 4000 calories. If I was, my last few visits to the doctor (which have been monthly) would have shown me gaining fast, which means I've been within my TDEE.
    Which, according to this calculator, is 2594 when I put myself as a desk job/couch potato.
    I didn't specifically ask about losing weight. My question was in regards to if going down to 1600 cal would slow my metabolism (even more, if the drs right about it being sluggish) and would it be safe.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

You weren't clear if you have a true medical disorder affecting your metabolism, like hypothyroidism. If so, fix that. If not, just be more active. And start logging what you're eating, accurately. Read the stickies at the top of this forum.

It's not related to my metabolism. I have moderately degenerating thoraticlumbar scoliosis. My spine from L2-L5 or 6 ish is curved at about 30*. Plus patella instability. I also have a mental illness that makes it easy for me to get overwhelmed easily, which is why counting calories is so challenging for me. None of this was an issue for weight loss goals until I had my daughter 2 years ago. So my hope is losing 15-30lbs through just diet will take the pressure off my back and joints so I can add some decent exercise to my day.
    Thank you, I'll check those stickies out!
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    Options
    I started here a lot heavier than you and just followed the MFP guidelines for losing 2lbs per week but it came off quicker than that at the start. If I were you I'd try the same but it will mean logging your food carefully so you know as surely as possible that you aren't exceeding your calorie goal. People often just want a quick fix but cutting your calories too drastically may actually slow your metabolism rather than boost it as your body does it's best to cope with the perceived famine by releasing the energy more slowly. A 2lbs deficit and increasing your exercise now rather than waiting (gentle walking or swimming - whatever you can manage) will get you off to a great start. No point talking about increased deficit if you're not actually logging your food. Make it too hard for yourself and you'll never be able to stick with it.

Exsactly, that's where my worry is. Plus, as long as I can remember I don't think I've ever had a 2200 calories or less diet. Jumping straight to 1600 would be far too overwhelming for me. I'll see what I can do about logging food better. :)
  • cindytw
    Options
    Again, I would just do your thing for a week and see what you are at to start. Because maybe you can manage a deficit at 2000. You don't know unless you see what you are at now! Overwhelmed is not a necessity here! Especially with more tolerant folks. Some will be hard and fast, some will ridicule you for this post. But the thing to remember is to gauge where you are at and do your best to improve! In small amounts if necessary!
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    Again, I would just do your thing for a week and see what you are at to start. Because maybe you can manage a deficit at 2000. You don't know unless you see what you are at now! Overwhelmed is not a necessity here! Especially with more tolerant folks. Some will be hard and fast, some will ridicule you for this post. But the thing to remember is to gauge where you are at and do your best to improve! In small amounts if necessary!
    The overwhelming comes from my Bipolar. I make nearly everything from scratch and without recipes, I don't typically measure anything either. So I realize me counting calories will literally be a full week of me measuring out everything and then uploading it here to get a nutrition label and then making sure I measured my servings out so I can clock them right. That's on top of being a student and a single mom.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The way to start is to get the basics right and start using MFP properly, that means just logging your food so you know, its imperative you know and understand what you are eating. Its also important to weigh your food. Imo for at least a few weeks its more important to know this rather than worry too much about whether you are deficit or not.

Your maint at a guess at that weight is c 2500 calories, its perfectly ok to go down to 1600. If you are under medical supervision then you can safely go down much much lower. Many people here do 1200, but 1600 would be more realistic and its all about what you can sustain and not be miserable.
    Is it really healthy to cut that many calories so quickly?
    Yes, but you need to be able to cope with it, so you might want to take baby steps i.e reduce by 100 calories every 2 days or just go straight for it. A few weeks readjustment isnt going to harm you.
    Yes you can do exercise and gradually increase the pace so you have a slightly raised heartrate. So you start with walking and for a period do brisk walking. Its the raised heart rate you want. Eventually you will be aiming for a sweat or to get your heart beating at a faster rate. This will assist your metabolism. Try water exercises aerobics or swimming as that will support your weight. Suggest you speak to a physio about what exercise you can do. Any movement is good.

On 1600 you will be just under 2lb a week. 1-2lb a week is considered healthy and realistic. Exercise can help you burn calories, start with wherever you are and just gradually increase pace frequency and duration. Walking is how many people start.

Bearing in mind your mental illness, then keep it simple and take baby steps to gardually make changes and get used to it. Be patient, but he key will be you understanding and controlling your deficit. Logging accurately is the first step.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    At present you have no idea what you're eating

That's why you aren't losing weight

Yes weigh your foods, yes make your recipes and yes stop making excuses

It's not your metabolism or your busy life it's just your food consumption
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

It's not related to my metabolism. I have moderately degenerating thoraticlumbar scoliosis. My spine from L2-L5 or 6 ish is curved at about 30*. Plus patella instability. I also have a mental illness that makes it easy for me to get overwhelmed easily, which is why counting calories is so challenging for me. None of this was an issue for weight loss goals until I had my daughter 2 years ago. So my hope is losing 15-30lbs through just diet will take the pressure off my back and joints so I can add some decent exercise to my day.
    Thank you, I'll check those stickies out!

Well, you'll find an excellent support group here that can talk you through the overwhelming issues. Just keep asking questions, get a good friend list and work things through.

Initial rapid weight loss supervised by a physician isn't unhealthy. At your weight, dropping to the recommended calories for 6-8 weeks won't cause issues - do be aware of and possible start a journal on how you feel - issues around unmanaged hunger, depression, or bingeing can arise when large cuts start. Just be aware of that and if you find yourself having issues ease up a little.

But you need to track to know where you are in your calories. Believe it or not, it is very easy to either undereat or overeat with large cuts when we don't know calorie counts and hunger signaling goes a little off kilter.

The single most effective way of "upping" your metabolism is moving more. While exercise is excellent, it really is about moving more throughout the day. It counts more than what we bring to the table as exercise activity. Yet with pain and knee/back issues we will tend to move less as a relief strategy. If you do not have physical therapy to help with the TS and the patella instability, try to get some. Both one of my daughters and I have some minor scoliosis (minor compared to your) and specific exercises have helped to improve pain/mobility issues.

With pain and back issues, start exercise slowly but do find options that might also help be more active - not only for the weight loss. Things you might want to consider are swimming and yoga (you might not be able to do much initially, but it is very low impact).

Good luck.

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I know a few people on Bipolar medication and they struggle with weight gain because of it. So don't be too hard on yourself.

Definitely, do what cindytw says and give it a go for a week, log your food and see for sure what you are eating. You will be surprised at how easy it is to eat extra calories. I feel you need to eat less than 2500 cals but please be guided by your doctor. And as tigger999 says, be patient.
  • cindytw
    Options
    The overwhelming comes from my Bipolar. I make nearly everything from scratch and without recipes, I don't typically measure anything either. So I realize me counting calories will literally be a full week of me measuring out everything and then uploading it here to get a nutrition label and then making sure I measured my servings out so I can clock them right. That's on top of being a student and a single mom.

OK and we all have things we have to overcome. AND we all have to find a way to breathe and just do it and not attach so much emotion to it. It is what it is, your starting point. Your question is what to do AFTER you know where the start is!