Exercise, food & Shift work.

Options
Hey anyone out there struggle with maintaining a routine exercise and diet plan when on shift work? I work mainly nights, sometimes days, all 12 hour shifts. I find it hard to be consistent, I try to stick with going for my jogs on my days off, but it takes at least a day and a half to recover from nights. Any tips/advice or motivation? I'm on a 1400 cal/day diet so I try and pack my lunches but ughhhh i get so hungry at work lol :neutral_face:

Replies

• colleenski1981
    colleenski1981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts too. Day shifts I generally take as rest days but I most always lift weights or run before nights and days off. I use a pre-workout to help combat the night shift fatigue.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I work nights too. 5+ years and all of my weight loss has come while working the night shift. I get in exercise when I can, I track my food intake and set a schedule I follow pretty consistently but above all else I place sleep as my #1 thing. I have found when I lack sleep, everything else suffers. I am too tired to workout and over eat to help me stay awake while at work.

I just saw how old this post is, I wonder if the OP will even see this.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Maybe your work is too strenuous on 1,400 calories. I work construction 14 hours a day, 6 days a week and I eat about 1,990 calories a day.

Trying upping your intake by lower your loss to 1lb or 1/2lb a week. A way to feel full during work that I like to do, I have a piece of fruit or veg every two hours. Most are low in calories, and they'll give you more energy on those swing shifts.