Should i start doing abs exercises

Options
2»

Replies

• satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Being honest, you will need to lose a lot more than 8kg to get abs, as you look about 20%+ body fat at the moment.

I'd advise continuing weight loss whilst using a beginner's compound lifts program.

Thanks for the advise. Yes I am a beginner to weight lifting. I will continue the weight loss journey. My body fat is over 22%.
    The reason i thought of doing ab workout is because my upper body started to look little better than before because that has been regularly utilized doing chest, back, pushups and chinups.. When it comes to lower part the only thing I am doing is lot of running, cycling ,burphee, elliptical trainer, treadmill etc.
  • satisatisati
    Options
    TCO76 wrote: »
    We all have abs underneath the flab. Getting down to a low bodyfat will make them appear. You won't gain any muscle to that area while lifting in a deficit. Strengthening them when you feel, will not hinder you but only help you as you add to the bar. I have never heard anyone EVER, complain that they over trained their core. It is however one of the most hated areas to focus on by many. Do some planks at night while watching tv.
    Congrats on the progress! Keep It going.

Thank you so much for your motivation! Appreciate it.
    I will surely do planks while watching TV as I am always in front of TV at night :smile:

• satisatisati
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    If you enjoy ab exercises, knock yourself out. Personally, they bore the crap out of me so I'm happy with the idea that my abs are getting a workout any time I do compound lifts. Once you lose the last bit of fat around your middle, your abs will make an appearance. Unfortunately, if you're like me, your middle might be the last place you will lose the fat. Patience, and keep at it.

I like doing abs exercises. It is just that I have a lot of body fat currently in my body. So I am focused more on loosing my body weight than working on my abs.
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    SatiaRenee wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you do abs? If you're working every other muscle in your body, does it make sense to say, "Gee, I did my back, chest and arms today. Did lower body hard yesterday. Yep. Not gonna work the abs. Ever." I say, if it's a part of your body, work it. If not, leave it alone.

I routinely leave abs and arms alone as im not a great fan of training them directly. Im not a bodybuilder type though so ....
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I find the "RKC Plank" and side planks really help define my abs, glutes and quads. But also just standing tall everyday, all day, sucking in your gut helps. "Belly button to the spine. String through the head."

A strong core can create better form. A better form can create a stronger core.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This thread brings up so many common points and views that I just don't understand at all.
    Why do so many people wait to strength train or do core work while losing weight?
    Get started on strength from the start, you will be that much farther ahead when the weight is off
    Why is direct core work discouraged with the mantra just lift heavy compound exercises?
    Direct core work is only going to help you in every other aspect of your lifting.
  • satisatisati
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    I find the "RKC Plank" and side planks really help define my abs, glutes and quads. But also just standing tall everyday, all day, sucking in your gut helps. "Belly button to the spine. String through the head."

A strong core can create better form. A better form can create a stronger core.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I do core exercise everyday. I pick one and I do that for not more than 5 minutes. I don't usually repeat the exercise that particular week. Most time it's different.

Couple of things going on with me
    1) I enjoy and love it. That's important. Do it everyday if you gonna enjoy it.
    2) I don't compound lift everyday. Just about enough to assist my main sport.
    3) My core is the most important muscle group that helps in my running. I gotta keep it strong hence I train it everyday.

Everything nails down to your goal, your sport and what you enjoy doing.
  • satisatisati
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    I do core exercise everyday. I pick one and I do that for not more than 5 minutes. I don't usually repeat the exercise that particular week. Most time it's different.

3) My core is the most important muscle group that helps in my running. I gotta keep it strong hence I train it everyday.

Do you mean 50 mins or 5 mins?
  • kristen_bures
    kristen_bures Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Core is the most important part of your body. You should always be doing ab workouts. Whenever I get on an off time of my exercise routine I still do abs.
  • satisatisati
    Options
    Core is the most important part of your body. You should always be doing ab workouts. Whenever I get on an off time of my exercise routine I still do abs.

Thanks for suggestion. I will surely add abs workout into my routine for this month and then see what difference does it makes :smile:
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

Do you mean 50 mins or 5 mins?

about approx 5 minutes every day.

An example - So let's say I worked on my upper body for 60 minutes I'll then work extra 5 minutes and end the workout with one abs exercise and finally some stretching. I always engage my core muscles even when I'm working on my upper body ST.

Another option that you may want to look at and this based of some lifting folks who come to a Pilates studio that I attend and they shared this info with me (I understand that you love to lift). They mentioned that they take one weekly Pilates class for 60 minutes of dedicated core workout. That's their abs workout of the week fully dedicated to core. Pilates also increases the flexibility.

(it's always a good idea to take Pilates and Yoga classes from instructors/gurus who practice them for living).