800 cal diet

hey my friends have been on a 800 cal diet for years and look great Im scared it will slow my metabolism and im scared of passing out they also go to the gym and burn Evetthing off

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    totally dumb idea…

at the minimum you should be netting 1200…

please don't do this.

how do you define look great? Is she built like a stick, skinny fat?

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited March 2015
    800 calories is only appropriate for someone doing a VLCD under doctor supervision.

I highly doubt 800 calories is an appropriate calorie goal for you.

Instead, input you info in MFP, select 1 to 1.5 lbs a week (since you have 56 to lose) and follow the calorie goal it gives you, plus at least half of your exercise calories.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    edited March 2015
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    totally dumb idea…

at the minimum you should be netting 1200…

please don't do this.

how do you define look great? Is she built like a stick, skinny fat?

All of this. I eat 2400 cals/day and I think I look pretty damn good. 800 cals/day is definitely NOT healthy.

ETA: I'm 5'6", 127 lbs at 16.5% body fat.
  • thatsarahnoel
    thatsarahnoel Posts: 75 Member
    No.
  • MaternalCopulator
    MaternalCopulator Posts: 125 Member
    800 sounds like a decent breakfast. No, I'm not making a joke.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Do you want to be healthy, lose weight in a sustainable way and make sure your body receives enough nutrition? Unless they are being supervised, then simply NO.

Its bad fo all the above reasons plus it starts a very bad relationship with food and understanding about weight loss.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Bad idea. Just be reasonable.

Also unless your friends are severely underweight I doubt they're actually eating 800 calories every day. It's more likely they're a.) lying, b.) underestimating how much they eat (studies show that women who aren't dieticians underestimate their intake by an average of 429 calories*), or c.) eating 800 for a few days and then losing control and eating a lot more on "cheat" days, therefore balancing it out.

*http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    This sounds like a horrible idea, there is no way that someone can only eat 800 cals which gets burnt off at the gym and keep this up for years - probably couldn't even do it for weeks before doing themselves serious damage. Your friends are probably eating more than they think.

Please just do it the safe way - follow the goals MFP sets and you will lose weight safely
  • TheVogonVegan
    TheVogonVegan Posts: 75 Member
    Definitely agree, bare minimum to not start getting into ED territory is 1000 per day, and that's really low. I eat 1500 per day, am set to lose 2 pounds a week (and am actually doing it!), and I feel good during the day. Go off what MFP tells you is best for what you want to lose, not your friends who honestly should probably see a doctor...especially if they've been doing that a long time. They likely have an eating disorder or are poorly informed about their nutritional needs.
  • tlbev2015
    tlbev2015 Posts: 28
    800 cal... NO! NO! NO! THIS IS NOT HEALTHY. Use MFP it is a wonderful tool full of very helpful information. Use the HELP feature to find topics of interest. Here is one on under eating... Although I have not had the best food relationship, I am improving this, and I know that under eating is just as dangerous to your body as overeating. You risk damage to all organs, muscles, and bones. Please research healthy ways to lose weight. And friend me if want moral support!!

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987
  • transparentenigma
    transparentenigma Posts: 565 Member
    800 calories a day is a bit extreme unless under doctor supervision. And I highly doubt that any physician worth his/her salt would recommend this diet for "years".
    I know its frustrating to look in the mirror and see pounds you wish would just melt away, quickly. Believe you me, I have done the wishing route many of times.
    But just as you did not put on the weight quickly, chances are, you will not lose it quickly and in a healthy way.
    I think you should aim for 1200 a day, increase your exercise and talk to a nutritionist and a PT at the same time.
    Remember, it doesn't make sense to have a "perfect sized" body, if the method that you used to get it has destroyed or weakened the organs inside until they fight back or give up and you end up very sick, or heaven forbid dead.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    800 sounds like a decent breakfast. No, I'm not making a joke.

for realz…my breakfast came in at 700 today ...
  • scar47
    scar47 Posts: 56 Member
    Your friends are in no way healthy people. Listen to the advice above
  • Thanks guys I'm going to eat 1200 a day I think that's a good goal for me Im going to start any ideas in a meal plan let me know
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    lol your friends are idiots, I'd seek new ones. I have meals more than that