Daily Calorie Help Wanted

Options
So I was curious how everyone determines the amount of calories per day that they consume. Do you go by myfitnesspal or by some other site?? I have been trying to stay around 1200 calories a day...however this is not working for me at all, but having problems figuring out how to determine the correct amount of calories I need. I am about 14.6 lbs away from my goal weight so it isn't like I have a ton to lose or anything.

Replies

• hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think you have to experiment a bit. Even though a lot of people say 1200 is manageable for them, for me I can lose eating 1400 or more, and I'm almost 20 years older than you. Have you set MFP to lose 1/2 a pound a week? If so, what calories does it recommend? I'd aim for that eating back some exercise calories.
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    No, I have kept it at losing 2 lbs per week which sets it at 1200. I will have to see what it gives me when I set it to 1/2 lb a week. May be more manageable and may still lose 2 lbs a week.
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just go by what MFP says, and try to be brand specific, although I am not 100% SUPER DUPER accurate since I chose not to weigh my food. Usually when you have less than 30 lbs to lose, 1200 is probably too low. I'd see what it says at 1 lb a week, then .5 lb a week. If you have been used to eating 1200 cals though, bumping it a tad to like 1350-1450 would probably still get you there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So I was curious how everyone determines the amount of calories per day that they consume. Do you go by myfitnesspal or by some other site?? I have been trying to stay around 1200 calories a day...however this is not working for me at all, but having problems figuring out how to determine the correct amount of calories I need. I am about 14.6 lbs away from my goal weight so it isn't like I have a ton to lose or anything.

Set MFP to lose 1lb per week. When you get to 10 pounds or less left, change that to 0.5lb.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    No, I have kept it at losing 2 lbs per week which sets it at 1200. I will have to see what it gives me when I set it to 1/2 lb a week. May be more manageable and may still lose 2 lbs a week.

Think about whether 2 pounds a week is reasonable for you with only 15 pounds to lose. I've never lost more than an average of 1/2-1 pound a week even when I was taking off the extra 50 pounds I gained with my first pregnancy--extra as in what was left after the birth. You may need to experiment to find your sweet spot for losing.
    In terms of eating less calories without feeling hungry, I've found that adding in veggies for some of my snacks has really helped with satiety. I have always gotten very hungry within 2-3 hours of eating, so now I eat celery or carrots before starting the real snack, and it really helps. The one day I didn't, I was over 2,000 by the end of the day.

• benee16
    benee16 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Also to consider, just because you put 2lbs per week doesn't mean you'll lose that. MFP does not go below 1200 in the setting. If I try to lose 2 lbs per week, it will put 1200 and then tell me I will only lose 1.something pounds. You may be too close to your goal to lose 2 lbs a week and keep within healthy calorie intake. Or you may have to bump up your exercise to get there.