Weight lifting

Options
why dont u get credit for weight lifting 40 minutes - strength but only get credit for aerobic

Replies

• TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Lifting doesn't burn that many calories if your just lifting. I never log them.

Cross fit would be different
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I know there’s a thread on this reasoning. But my thoughts are pretty simple.

What and how much you eat will determine fat loss. You exercise to work on other fitness goals (cardiovascular, strength, muscle mass, mobility, balance, speed, endurance, etc.). So, if you’re strength training in the gym, the premise is you’re not doing that to lose fat.

Beyond that, remember that this whole calorie in/calorie out model is a series of estimates. In real life, when we use estimates, we round then off to be clear it isn’t an exact number. My advice, plug a number that feels reasonable to you. I used to plug about 250 calories per hour so I could eat back those calories as protein. That usually worked for me, and if it wasn’t working well enough after a few weeks, I’d tweak it up or down depending on what I needed.
  • RobDowney
    RobDowney Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    They are counted if you log them under cardio. There are some decent calculators out there to help estimate the cal burn.
    bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm
    I usually count about 200cals/30min of lifting.
    Obviously varies based on intensity, how heavy you go and whether you keep your heart rate up throughout the workout.