Dieting while beastfeeding

Options
Ive been given the okay by my doctor to lose weight while nursing my 7 month old (I nurse during the evening and at night, supplement with formula during the day).

I am looking to lose no more than 1lb a week. Ideally I have about 40lbs to lose but am aiming for 25 right now. I have a very sedentary life due to working a desk job and then taking care of the kids when I get home. MFP put me at a calorie goal of 1240 (I plan on incorporating 30 min workouts 4 times a week and did enter this as well).

My question is how many extra calories a day should I be eating to account for breastfeeding? I ate more then 1240 calories a day last time I went on a weight loss journey right before I got pregnant and was successful. That was eating 1500/day. Should I change my weight loss goal to .5lbs per week to make up for this? I am doing a low carb, higher fat/protein diet if that makes any difference.

Replies

• emmavagg
    emmavagg Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The NHS says an exclusively breastfeeding mother will burn around 500 calories a day so I have personally set myself a goal of 1700 to lose 2lbs a week. I would say that you could add an extra 250 calories a day and just see how it goes. Good luck :)