What do you do with your shame clothes?

Options
13»

Replies

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I don't have shame clothes, I do have a few too-small items that I really loved and which didn't get worn a lot. I keep the closest size to the one I am now close at hand and try on occasionally, a month more max and I'll be wearing it. As they go from too small to too big (hopefully) I will be donating. I only have highh-quality, little worn, tailored items in that category - simple items like jeans and knits were worn out before my size changed.
  • cazpom37
    cazpom37 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    yeah change how you see those clothes. instead of shame, try calling them goal clothes. i had a bunch of clothes that didn't fit anymore (they were size 16 and i was a size 24 so i had to lose a lot to get back into them) i put the ones i really didn't want to throw out in a bag and put them into the bottom of my wardrobe. every few months i tried them on to see how much more i could get on (i could only get the trousers up to my knees at first but they slowly pulled up more and eventually i could get them on but not zip up)

that day arrived when i tried them on and they fastened up perfectly. i was made up. put your favourite pieces to one side and give anything you don't want to save to charity. i even hung a pair of trousers up in my bedroom to keep me on track :smiley:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When I shrink, I bring the clothes to a seamstress to take them in a size or two. After I lose more, no amount of sewing can save them, so I give them away.
    The only clothes in my home are the clothes that are tailored exactly to my current weight/shape.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    stefsc1 wrote: »
    My small clothes are "goal" clothing, not "shame" clothing! Why would I be ashamed that I'm working my way towards fitting into smaller sizes?

Anything that I think I have at least 3 more months before I fit into are stored in a suitcase in the garage. Jeans that are only 1 size too small are pushed into the back of my closet to be pulled forward when the ones I wear currently get too annoying to keep pulling up all day!

One day I just went through all of my clothing and discarded items that I didn't like enough to bother trying to fit into someday, and clothing that is now too big for me, but I really shouldn't wear again anyway even if I regain weight. I'm keeping a few of my favorite, most flattering pieces from my heaviest weight just in case, but I donated most of them.

Yeah, I don't get why I would be ashamed about having clothes (of any size). I actually buy clothes a couple of sizes smaller, and I've never been thinner than I am now so I don't have older thin clothes, but if I did I would keep what I like and donate what I don't. For my bigger clothes that no longer fit, I donated all of them or gave away to other family members. Some of them were never worn!
  • honeybee_kisses
    honeybee_kisses Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the ideas guys!

I call them shame clothes because I think it's a funny term for them, but some people are taking the term much more seriously than I am. Not trying to be offensive, I just don't take gaining some weight that seriously. I'll get back into them soon enough!

I think it's quite funny, I get the humor in your post op ;)
    I kept everything that didn't fit me for a while then had 2 babies in one year, got disheartened and donated them all lol. Good excuse for shopping once I get to where I want to be though I suppose!
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I got rid of most of my smaller clothes and only kept a few favourites. Surprisingly I can fit back into a few now so am glad I kept them.
    I am deciding what to do with my now loose clothes. I like the pp idea of keeping one size up and one size down for fluctuations in weight.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Stuff that was too small? I tried everything on and put them into a bin. I put the smallest stuff on the bottom and the stuff that "almost" fit towards the top. Once a month I try on the stuff on the top layer. If it fits, it came out of the bin. I emptied the bin out last week (meaning everything fits now and some of the original top layer stuff is too big!).

I'm actually at the point now that I have no more smaller clothes to try to fit into, so I'm going to have to start buying things. Although my sister is going to give me some hand me downs, so hopefully I can get away with not spending too much yet.

Stuff that's too big? Once it's ridiculously big, it goes to Salvation Army. I've been trying to do the when something comes out of the too small bin because it now fits, something too big has to go.