Squatting Shoes

Options
alyhuggan
alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey, I'm considering buying a pair of squatting shoes and want to know if anyone else has any experience with them!

I've also not seen a massive range of well known companies selling them so recommendations would be a bonus!

Edit: Should have specified it's olympic shoes I'm looking for (with the raised heel)

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Buying shoes for squatting is going to depend on you and your mechanics. Some people like flat shoes similar to Chucks and some people need Oly shoes. I've tried both and my regular gym shoes work great.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    My daughter got me a pair for Xmas but I only wear them if she trains with me, I prefer me wee plimsole things or bare feet.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Barefoot all day. Wearing shoes to squat just feels weird now.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I use Oly shoes, mainly because I have bad ankle flexibility from rugby damage. They're not cheap, but they help me a lot.
    Ryudori wrote: »
    Barefoot all day. Wearing shoes to squat just feels weird now.

See! Two different people with two very different answers.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Lifting shoes are a crutch to compensate for mobility issues. I use them now to help get a good range of motion during squats, but I’m also working on the underlying mobility issues in hopes that I won’t always need the shoes.

I have the Adidas Men’s Powerlift Trainer 2, which I paid $130 for. Considering I use them for less than 20 minutes a week, that’s not a good economic choice. But they do exactly what I need, so it works for me.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Just got a pair of Powerlift 2's. Paid $89.99 + free ship at dicks sporting goods. After getting a white/blue I went with the Grey/Green/Blue.

Worth every penny. No more knee pain. You feel glued to the floor.

dickssportinggoods.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=powerlift%202&origkw=powerlift+2&sr=1
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Nike Romaleos, definite must for oly lifting, helps with my back squats too, but the leverages I'm getting from my front squats, is translating a lot into making my snatches and cleans better.

The romaleos are for wider feet, the adidas is you have normal width feet. The crossfit shoes are bunk, basically raised heel with a running shoe's cushioning. Exactly what you don't want for slinging around some weights.

Final thought, $200 or so for a good pair of lifting shoes is an easy and cheap investment, best thing I did was transition from my five fingers to my romaleos. Better stability, better foot compression, better spread control, and the heel lift is nice.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    erockem wrote: »
    Just got a pair of Powerlift 2's. Paid $89.99 + free ship at dicks sporting goods. After getting a white/blue I went with the Grey/Green/Blue.

Worth every penny. No more knee pain. You feel glued to the floor.

dickssportinggoods.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=powerlift%202&origkw=powerlift+2&sr=1

Just bought these exact shoes, set me £90 back but if it rids me of pain in my knees I will be more than happy!
  • merann333
    Options
    Olympic lifting shoes are not a crutch for poor mobility. If you can't squat properly without shoes, in trainers, etc you still won't be able to squat properly in olympic lifting shoes. Ultimately, proper mobility through the ankle and especially hips is key no matter what shoes you wear.

However, they will benefit you in a couple of ways... First and foremost is the fact that they provide a solid, no slip, completely flat, stable foot base to lift from. Second the heel lift does allow for a greater range of motion to give olympic lifters the ability to "catch" at depth and then stand up under loading like in the snatch or clean and jerk.

I've lifted in tons of shoes over the years. Personally I prefer Addidas shoes... As a woman they are cut a little narrower and fit my foot better.

Unless you are going to start weightlifting competitively, there's no need to break the bank on a pair of shoes... For squatting only the less expensive models will do great and give you a year or more of use.

Happy lifting!

(Btw - I'm a USA Weightlifting Sports Performance Coach and also have been competing in the sport for 5 years. My husband is a USA Weightlifting Advanced Coach so we are a little biased toward the use of shoes)
  • VagablondViking
    VagablondViking Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Definitely recommend some sort of shoe that's not too cushy. Chuck Taylor's are my choice. I'd squat barefoot, but it's not allowed at my gym.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Lifting shoes are a crutch to compensate for mobility issues. I use them now to help get a good range of motion during squats, but I’m also working on the underlying mobility issues in hopes that I won’t always need the shoes.

I have the Adidas Men’s Powerlift Trainer 2, which I paid $130 for. Considering I use them for less than 20 minutes a week, that’s not a good economic choice. But they do exactly what I need, so it works for me.

Not really. There are plenty of athletes with sufficient mobility that still use them for other reasons.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    I use the Nike Romaleo 2's - http://www.roguefitness.com/nike-romaleos-2-wl-shoe-black

They are a bit pricey though.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    merann333 wrote: »
    Olympic lifting shoes are not a crutch for poor mobility. If you can't squat properly without shoes, in trainers, etc you still won't be able to squat properly in olympic lifting shoes. Ultimately, proper mobility through the ankle and especially hips is key no matter what shoes you wear.

(Btw - I'm a USA Weightlifting Sports Performance Coach and also have been competing in the sport for 5 years. My husband is a USA Weightlifting Advanced Coach so we are a little biased toward the use of shoes)

Thanks for your insight. Understand if you're doing the more technical oly lifts where you would want a proper oly shoe. If a person is squatting/deadlifting as part of a Stronglifts or similar routine do you think they are desirable or needed? The vast majority of the big deadlifts you see the person is wearing a very flat shoe.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Don't deadlift in oly shoes. Flat foot is optimal.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    merann333 wrote: »

Thanks for your insight. Understand if you're doing the more technical oly lifts where you would want a proper oly shoe. If a person is squatting/deadlifting as part of a Stronglifts or similar routine do you think they are desirable or needed? The vast majority of the big deadlifts you see the person is wearing a very flat shoe.

That's because most people do not pull in oly shoes, although there are exceptions:

There are a lot of powerlifters, strongmen, weightlifters, bodybuilders, general athletes, and regular gym goers that do Squat in them though.