Fruit and veggie calories . . .

Options
weehah
weehah Posts: 81 Member
When I look something up in the MFP database for foods like honeydew melon and avocados, I see so many different caloric values. How do you know which one to use? Do you have another resource on the web for finding out how many calories are in fruit and veggies?

Replies

• djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I think the consensus is to get a scale and go by weight because there can be a significant difference if you had a small avocado but the calories you find and add on here come from a large one.
  • weehah
    weehah Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    But even by weight, I can't find one answer to how many calories per ounce. Know what I mean?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're on a computer look for the one without an asterisk - usually if you search by "avocado raw" it will come up (the ones with the asterisk are user entered). Or just look for one that gives the calories for a weight, rather than 1/2 an avocado for instance.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    I usually choose the one without the asterisk, as well. Or if I can't find one without it, I will just google the item and then take the average calorie count from the results i get - there is usually an entry made with the google results average since I am sure a lot of people have to do that. :)