Always Eating Over Calorie Limit

Options
DedicatedDreamer5
DedicatedDreamer5 Posts: 9 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello! I've been really struggling with eating within my MFP limit. I upped my calories to lose 1/2 pound per week instead of 1 to give me more to use and ease my way in but I STILL go over (and by going over I don't mean 50 calories. I mean like 300-900 calories over. Sometimes even 1,000 over :( ) which is makes me really embarrassed to admit :/

I know there are no "bad" foods and that I can eat what I want within reason, but that's where I struggle. I never stop with just one serving or just one dessert. I always eat more.

I also have a hard time because I can't measure or weigh anything because I can eat only at my university cafeteria or grill (I live on campus and have a meal plan this semester).

I need to lose 45 pounds to not be overweight or obese, but I just don't know what to do. I'm trying to celebrate the small victories (like sticking to couch to 5k plan for a week or for making a good decision for a particular meal) but I know I'm not going to lose weight if I never maintain a calorie deficit. I'm just kind of discouraged right now and have no idea what to do.

Thanks so much for reading! Do you have any suggestions that might help me?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've been really struggling with eating within my MFP limit. I upped my calories to lose 1/2 pound per week instead of 1 to give me more to use and ease my way in but I STILL go over.

I know there are no "bad" foods and that I can eat what I want within reason, but that's where I struggle. I never stop with just one serving or just one dessert. I always eat more.

I also have a hard time because I can't measure or weigh anything because I can eat only at my university cafeteria or grill (I live on campus and have a meal plan this semester).

I need to lose 45 pounds to not be overweight or obese, but I just don't know what to do. I'm trying to celebrate the small victories (like sticking to couch to 5k plan for a week or for making a good decision for a particular meal) but I know I'm not going to lose weight if I never maintain a calorie deficit. I'm just kind of discouraged right now and have no idea what to do.

Stop doing it?

Outside of that I have a group of four IRL friends and we have a group goal. I don't want to be the weak link so I make sure I do my best every week. Maybe find similar?
  • jontucc
    jontucc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Some things to try and reduce calories:
    - drink lots of water and tea (no added sugar)
    - substitute things like noodles and pasta for veggies such as zucchini noodles
    - try distract yourself with other activities to prevent eating from boredom

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You need to be motivated to stick to it.
    You have eaten cake twice, Doritos, pastries, and brownies over the last couple days. You obviously aren't committed. If that sounds mean, sorry, but you can't blame your school cafeteria on your calorie overages when you are eating multiple desserts a day. Plan out what you are going to eat and prelog it. Stick to your plan. I assume your school has a menu, so that shouldn't be hard. If you can't moderate your junk food, you will have to cut it out for a while. Re-introduce it in small amounts once you have your calories under control.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Do you keep a lot of the snacks you have in the house, or are they all bought outside? If in the house, consider only getting a single serving when you want one for a while

Also can you pack your lunches sometimes, anyway? Should be able to make a sandwich etc and stick to it. If not, yeah I agree just make better choices when you're out and about - choices that have a better likelihood of keeping you within your goals

I buy most of my lunches from work but can still get a sandwich or a pork chop, and have a salad with leafy vegetables and try to go easy on the dressing (you may not need the full two tablespoons always!!). Or if I do the mashed potatoes, I just have them stop when it seems they're gonna keep ladling it on...

In short though, I think you've probably just started out recently (or maybe not, sorry if that's incorrect). Just keep logging. Rome wasn't built in a day. If you're determined and consistent and keep educating yourself, you'll learn all kinds of tips tricks and strategies that will help you as time goes on, and fit nicely with your lifestyle
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Your logging is not totally accurate. You are using generic recipes, so you could be eating less or more than you realize. And of course measuring instead of weighing, so perhaps weighing your food would help you better stick to your intake needs because it'd be the most accurate?
    Your carbs are also extremely high compared to your protein and fat intake. I eat higher carb, but I also eat 125+ grams of protein and no less than 65g of fat every day. Your macro goals are zero'd out, why?

Your issues either lie with poor macro balance (too many carbs, i.e. not enough fat/protein to fill you up), or mental. Meaning you may not be mentally ready for weight loss.

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've been really struggling with eating within my MFP limit. I upped my calories to lose 1/2 pound per week instead of 1 to give me more to use and ease my way in but I STILL go over (and by going over I don't mean 50 calories. I mean like 300-900 calories over. Sometimes even 1,000 over :( ) which is makes me really embarrassed to admit :/

Since your getting most of your meals through your schools meal plan I would talk with the person who runs your schools cafeteria. They should have the nutritional information on the foods they serve and they should be able to tell you what the healthier options are.

Also I would make an appointment with your schools medical services (if your school has one) and talk to them about your weight loss goals. They may have a support group you can attend.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I looked a few days back in your diary, and you're eating lots of things like brownies, cake, chips... things that are higher in calories and offering little nutrients. The chicken strips you entered don't even show as having protein. :huh:

Seriously though, most of us here are all for eating the treats if it fits your macros, but your macro goals are all set to 0. How the hell is that even possible?!
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love me some junk food. And late night snacks. Seriously, candy is my weakness. Start slow. Cut out pop one week. Then chips the next. Get some fruit to keep in your dorm and reach for that first then if you still want junk go for it. Strawberries and kiwis tend to help curb my cravings for gummy bears. At school lunches pick a salad to go along side whatever else and eat the salad first to fill you. (And try a vinaigrette over ranch, it will be weird at first but now I love it!) Maybe then your portion for something else will be smaller. Drink a glass of water any time you want to eat to help lessen the urge. It's not going to be easy at first but the desire for junk will get less and less. And work out if you can! Then you can earn those extra calories! I still allow myself a small bowl (though tonight I had a pretty decent size one! Oops) of ice cream as long as I work out and plan my other meals around wanting that each day! :) we all have bad days...and weeks...you can do it!!
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Wow, I totally get your pain! And I remember ((shudder)) the cafeteria food I ate on campus. (OK, that was back in the Stone Age, but still...) I sense an ambivalence in weight loss. Some others here have also pointed that out. But more than the ambivalence (and whatever fears and worries looking hot might bring up for you) here's something I learned from an Olympic nutrition coach recently: small regular meals and NEVER skipping on a high protein breakfast tend to help us avoid the sugar craving/baked goods craving thing.

Be easy on yourself. Try to rationally work through what you're afraid might happen if you have a hot body. If you can't do that on your own, perhaps check in with a counselor or therapist. You're smart to be handling this at your age, when losing weight is easier metabolically than it will be when you're older.

With best wishes for your success!
    xoxoxo
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

There are no bad foods, as in you can eat "junk" food in moderation if it fits your goals. If the treats are taking you over your calories by that much, then thet do not fit your goals, and this is not moderation :( I am looking a few days into your diary, and what you are trying to do is impossible without starving, and still not that great for your health. You cannot have almost all of your calories coming from fast food or treats. You will either have to eat very little (and again this will not improve your overall nutrition, only your calories) and feel hungry, or make less calorie dense choices, and review your eating habits: fruit, vegetables, lean meats, fish, yoghurt, milk etc are your friends. Food of all kinds will be around you, no matter where you go, for the rest of your life. It is up to you to decide what you are going to choose. Just because there are brownies and chips and burgers available, ti does not mean you have to eat them whenever you are hungry.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are no bad foods...but, the people who say that usually have great willpower. For me, I can eat one slice of pizza or only one cup of cereal. But when it comes to cookies and chips I CANNOT STOP. so I learned to remove those from my diet for only special occasions.

Maybe stay away from the French fries or sugary cereals or dessert area at your dining hall...whichever foods that you cannot control your consumption around!
  • glutenfreechic
    glutenfreechic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think try one day sticking to your numbers. Just one day. See what it's like, see how you feel. When you reach your numbers after dinner, take yourself to bed witha good book or some motivational reading. Relax the next day, eat as you please, then try the following day to stick to your numbers. Hit your numbers every second day so it doesn't feel daunting. Maybe even journal how each day feels in terms of food eaten and feelings experienced. If it gets hard the days you stick to your numbers remind yourself tomorrow there aren't any limits. Work towards sticking to your numbers for two days ina row, then three, etc.

Each day try to eat foods that give the most bang for your buck, ie the most volume for calories to give you the feeling of being full and satisfied. Factor treats into your numbers too if possible. Be as kind to yourself as you would a good friend. There's no huge urgency to this process, and any progress is a positive thing. Forgive yourself, a lot of us have had this type of problem, we're human, we can move on and we can progress. Remember this can happen to any of us now and in the future. We have to remind ourselves that temptation will always be a challenge, but we don't always have to give in to it. I've struggled with my numbers too, and recently. I'm following my own advice.

Nobody is perfect, but it's worth it when we strive for better and experience the success of achieving a goal. Read the motivational threads, and take on board anything that is constructive and feels helpful. Disregard anything unhelpful.

Best of luck, you can do this.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Plan out what you're going to eat and pre log it

Do not deviate from your plan

You are currently putting on weight so you need to commit to yourself agsin
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Oh and I totally know how you feel! I'm in college and I know how tough it was to eat healthy when having a meal plan. To start, maybe you can do things like having a hotdog or barbecue beef sandwich, but putting the meat on top of a salad instead of in a bun.

Or a salad instead of French fries.

Fill your plate with half salad, and/or only limit yourself to one plate.

Or if you have a dessert, instead of eating a bunch of cookies there, grab one cookie on the way out of the dining hall.

Good luck and I hope this helps!!!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are no bad foods...but, the people who say that usually have great willpower. For me, I can eat one slice of pizza or only one cup of cereal. But when it comes to cookies and chips I CANNOT STOP. so I learned to remove those from my diet for only special occasions.

Maybe stay away from the French fries or sugary cereals or dessert area at your dining hall...whichever foods that you cannot control your consumption around!

I used to eat 3-4 boxes of chocolate in a sitting. Me learning to eat a box over the course of 2-3 months isn't willpower, it's simply me realizing food is food and not putting restrictions on food, and me being in control instead of food controlling me.

Eating stuff only on special occasions is waht also prompted me to binge.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

I eat at my work cafe all the time and when I have asked the about serving sizes they have always given me answers (are they correct I don't know but they have no reason to lie). I have also scanned the barcode of the bread they use to make sambitches.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I used to eat 3-4 boxes of chocolate in a sitting. Me learning to eat a box over the course of 2-3 months isn't willpower, it's simply me realizing food is food and not putting restrictions on food, and me being in control instead of food controlling me.

Eating stuff only on special occasions is waht also prompted me to binge.

This is very valueable feedback especially as to pitfalls to watch out for, but FYI it could still be a viable and effective strategy for someone else.
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Hi there. It sounds to me that you are not emotionally or mentally ready to lose weight. I have highlighted the words that you use to describe your challenges. If you if you NEVER STOP, ALWAYS EAT MORE and CAN'T measure or weigh ANYTHING, and then say that YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO and affirm BUT I KNOW I AM NOT GOING TO LOSE WEIGHT, you are basically programming yourself to fail before you start your journey. The fact that you changed your goals to make it easier to stick to them is a good thing if you change your behaviour around food but that has not happened.

I don't want you to answer if you don't want to but what is the reason that you would like to lose weight? I am asking it only because if it is to please others, may be this is why you could be struggling.

You are more than welcome to add me and come and join us ladies in a super supportive and motivating small community so that you can share your journey with us and see the messes and successes we get ourselves into as we walk the journey together. I started in December with 50lbs to lose, I've still got 34 to go. I use weekly baby step challenges to support me on the journey.

Before anything else though, stop telling yourself that you will not lose weight and you cannot do something about it because that is where you disempower yourself to take appropriate action. May be that could be your first baby step challenge - change your language and your mindset :wink:
  • DedicatedDreamer5
    DedicatedDreamer5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all SO much for your suggestions!!

I really never thought about it, but it's true: I have definitely not been commuted to sticking with it. And I'm definitely going to try to apply some of your awesome suggestions (like eating salad with meals, having junk food as a treat not as my main meal, making sure my food is nutritionally healthy, etc.)

I also am going to look at my mental motivations and stuff and work on those areas too.

Thank you SO much again :) there are so many areas (that probably should be obvious) that I didn't even think about!

And if you have any more ideas/suggestions/comments feel free. I'll take any help I can get haha
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options

At this point ... cut out deserts entirely. None.

I know some of the threads here will talk about moderation, but personally, I've found that if I eat a little bit of something I really like (i.e. chocolate), it is so easy to have just a little bit more ... and a little bit more. But if I cut certain things out entirely, they are so much easier to ignore.

Later ... maybe in a 2 or 3 months ... you might be able to include a desert once a week or so.