Woman over 50 - Any supportive sisters on here?

Options
I'm just a bit over 50 and facing down menopause. I had all the tests. My pudgy body isn't hormones...it's ice cream, cookie binges and sometimes just not giving a d@$% for a week or more at a time. It's a lack of willpower in the grocery store. It's that baking calms me down and it is getting harder to find people I can give it to so I don't eat it myself. It's my assistant who brings chocolate to work. It's...oh, it's lots of life issues. Chief among them, not eating regular meals because I am either not hungry or it is impossible to eat in the middle of the work day.

I just hit 180 - my pregnancy weight - except my baby is 24. I have tried so many diets, I have been so emotionally erratic, I feel so very, very hopeless. In the old days, I'd skip a day of eating, drop 4 lbs and feel great. I'm tall - but these days I have an extra chin, sagging skin, and a general sense of shame about my body. It's deeply affecting my self esteem.

If you're over 50 and female, please, please, please, please tell me your success story. I really need some encouragement.

Replies

• turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey California! You are not alone!! I am in the latter side of those 50's and been there, done that and doing it again. On Jan. 7th, I stepped on the scale (which had been in storage for over a year due to relocating) and confirmed my fear that I was up yet again. I already knew it because my clothes were getting tight(er) and I felt bad and disappointed about myself - again. I am a married woman, with babies who are 32 and 34 with babies of their own - can't blame pregnancy weight any longer... lol My husband, bless his heart, has no idea what it is to struggle with weight issues - hasn't for the 36 years we've been married and I doubt at this stage he ever will. Unwittingly, he has sabotoged me on more than one occasion and, like I said, in January, I decided it was enough. He needed to get on board and be a supporter.

I decided it wasn't time for another diet, but a real lifestyle change that I could live with for the long haul. In the fall we had joined a local gym to benefit us both. Even though husband doesn't have weight issues, he does have health issues and his doctors wanted him to get moving too. So.... we started - actually with baby steps as both of us had been very inactive due to "life" for the previous year and have injuries we were dealing with.

Following my aqua therapy in the fall to rehab my knee injury... with the new year, I decided to give swimming a go since the water was a safe place for me to workout. Took a refresher course at the gym where they have a wonderful aquatic area with a lap pool, exercise pool and warm water therapy pool. I wanted to use swimming as my form of exercise as back and knee injuries pose challenges for me when exercising on land. As a disclaimer, I really have never enjoyed exercise. Since January, I have been at the gym/pool 4 times a week. Initially, I could barely swim for 30 minutes at a time, but included water aerobic classes in the mix which gave me good workouts. Now, I primarily swim exclusively 4 days a week for 75 - 90 minutes at a time and add my own interval training and water aerobics and water jogging to round out my time.

Since January, I have dropped 19.7 lbs. and 8 inches. While I am really trying not to sabotage myself with focusing on the number on the scale, I admit it can be a motivator as long as the number is moving downward. I have noticed, however, on the weeks when I didn't see much movement, I noticed the inches dropped and then later the pounds lost seemed to catch up.

I have broken my overall goal for weight loss into mini goals of 10 lb. increments. Ideally, I'd like to lose 40 lbs. more. On the PLUS SIDE... those clothes that were tight(er) in January, I can wear comfortably now. It's a wonderful thing to be able to shop my own closet and wear something other than the yoga pants and loose tops that seemed to be my mainstay for well over a year now and were looking very tired. (I decided I wasn't going to buy anything new until it was smaller.) Those size 18 jeans that were too tight to button, let alone sit in, I've worn with confidence. I look forward to when they are loose.

My husband and I have an anniversary cruise scheduled for July. My goal is to wear a couple of the cocktail dresses that are hanging in my closet that had been too tight while on the cruise. I haven't tried them on yet - somewhat afraid they may not fit quite yet - so I'm looking to lose a bit more weight before I do - again don't want to sabotage myself. Bigger than that goal for me is to buy and wear confidently a swimsuit that does not have a skirt attached. I haven't purchased a swimsuit that didn't purposely have a skirt, for YEARS!

You asked for success stories... mine is still a story in progress, but I am seeing successes. I remind myself that I didn't put on these 60 lbs. overnight and, sadly, will not lose them in a healthy way, overnight either. But, in the past 2 months I have dropped 19.7 lbs. without starving - but by eating better, keeping track of my food and exercise, eliminating most of the junk/processed foods, making it clear to my support team (husband) that he needs to be on board, and being committed to physical activity on a planned/regular basis - something I had never done. My success story is making new, healthy habits - with the long haul in mind.

Please feel free to add me as a friend. I would also love the support and motivation and would be pleased to offer same to a fellow sister over 50! You can do whatever you set your mind to. :)
  • jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and on January 1, weighed 140 pounds. Today, I weigh 131, and my goal weight is 127. I did it by logging calories (1,200 a day), eating whole foods only, and working out (cardio) 50 minutes, 5 days a week. I am not hungry, do not feel deprived, and my mood and energy have improved. I have to say, logging what I eat has helped immensely. Stay in the day--don't project forward. One day at a time, as they say. Do the right things, and good things will happen weightwise--even for us old broads. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Regarding irregular times for meal: look into 16:8 or your own versions of it (like 14:10 or any modification). I always skip breakfast and some days skip lunch and eat when I get home and then again later in the evening. They call this Intermittent Fasting although I basically go that way anyway. When I started MFP in May 2014 I added lots of fresh and frozen green leafy vegetables to my days along with other vegetables such as broccoli, swiss chard, kale, spinach, romaine, cabbage, mushrooms, asparagus, avocados, okra, cauliflower, bell peppers, snow peas, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, winter squash, brussels sprouts, cucumbers, green beans.
    Sometimes it helps to think about about adding foods instead of focussing on what you are giving up.

• CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi there Roda - thanks for the tips. I don't know what 16:8 means, though? Can you explain, please?

• CaliforniaRower
    Options
    Turtle0022 ***BIG HUGS*** and to you too, jvt63. I really appreciate your input, all three of you!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm just a bit over 50 and facing down menopause. I had all the tests. My pudgy body isn't hormones...it's ice cream, cookie binges and sometimes just not giving a d@$% for a week or more at a time. It's a lack of willpower in the grocery store. It's that baking calms me down and it is getting harder to find people I can give it to so I don't eat it myself. It's my assistant who brings chocolate to work. It's...oh, it's lots of life issues. Chief among them, not eating regular meals because I am either not hungry or it is impossible to eat in the middle of the work day.

I just hit 180 - my pregnancy weight - except my baby is 24. I have tried so many diets, I have been so emotionally erratic, I feel so very, very hopeless. In the old days, I'd skip a day of eating, drop 4 lbs and feel great. I'm tall - but these days I have an extra chin, sagging skin, and a general sense of shame about my body. It's deeply affecting my self esteem.

If you're over 50 and female, please, please, please, please tell me your success story. I really need some encouragement.

Hello to CA from PA! :smiley:

Wow, your life sounds a lot like mine. Especially the part about being able to skip a day eating and drop 4 pounds no sweat. Things are different on this side of 50, however, especially post-menopause. Good news (at least for me) is that I am still able to lose weight on a regular basis (down 20 lbs. since Jan. 5). I'm exercising a reasonable amount now and not going berserk- 60 minutes treadmill (moderate pace but at 3-7% grades) three or four times a week and weights (again, moderate routines that I actually want to do). And just as Turtle wrote, I am eating well and not starving myself, either (I'm on 1200 calories a day). Also, my clothes fit me so much better since January!

My goal is to lose weight, stave off osteo, and keep my heart healthy... I've treated my body like an amusement park for far too long so now it's time to get off the roller coaster and act my age lol

From what you've written it sounds like you could do with some meal planning and taking the Boy Scout motto to heart and Be Prepared. If I'm facing the work week without having a fridge full of sensible food (that I've prepared myself) and snacks, it's a disaster. Then you won't feel tempted to give in to your assistant's goodies. Sunday is my day to cook and Be Prepared for the week. But if baking is cathartic for you, maybe you can find a worthy cause to donate the sweet stuff to. Nursing home, maybe? Or if you can't find any takers, challenge yourself to turn your favorite recipes into low cal, low fat versions. It's pretty easy these days with so many online resources.

Don't let hopelessness rule you- fight back and tell yourself that you can do this! Every little bit of good you do today will make a difference tomorrow. Good luck, California!!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and trying to stay fit and maintain around 120. My goal was originally to get down to 115, which was my lowest post-baby weight, but haven't been able to get there or maintain below 120. It's so much harder to take the weight off and keep it off because metabolism does slow down post-menopause. I try to stick to around 1200 + exercise calories during the week and have one cheat day on the week-end. I exercise at least 5 times a week -- yoga, strength training, sometimes zumba or kickboxing, and walking at least 30 minutes a day.
  • elen
    elen Posts: 1
    Options
    I am 53, and have been over weight for the longest time. My current weight is 170, and conservatively, i wish to lower it down to 150. I have been slowly losing weight( I was 180 at the start!!!) through diet and some exercises, dancing to be exact. But, alas, i was recently diagnosed to have slip discs( multi level), the cause of my constant back pain. Now i cant dance or can't do the gym no more. What exercise can I do now. Pls advise. Thanks.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Hi there Roda - thanks for the tips. I don't know what 16:8 means, though? Can you explain, please?
    http://dailyburn.com/life/health/intermittent-fasting-methods/
    Basically Intermittent Fasting for me means having two good sized a meals a day instead of snacking throughout the day.
    The 16:8 means going for 16 hours without food (coffee, diet soda, and that is o.k.) and the rest of the day's food for the other eight hours of the day.
    Probably I eat closer to 14:10 most days.
    This lifestyle helps me not think about food all day like I was before and allows me to have nicer/larger meals when I do eat. I am not doing it everyday, . . . probably five days a week.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    elen wrote: »
    I am 53, and have been over weight for the longest time. My current weight is 170, and conservatively, i wish to lower it down to 150. I have been slowly losing weight( I was 180 at the start!!!) through diet and some exercises, dancing to be exact. But, alas, i was recently diagnosed to have slip discs( multi level), the cause of my constant back pain. Now i cant dance or can't do the gym no more. What exercise can I do now. Pls advise. Thanks.
    Look on YouTube or for DVDs on Amazon for chair and mat exercises. For example, YouTube has some chair boxing videos. Is swimming o.k.?
    Check with your doc or physical therapist on what is safe for you.
    You can lose weight with out exercise but it is good if you can find a way to keep up your muscle mass.
  • CaliforniaRower
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    http://dailyburn.com/life/health/intermittent-fasting-methods/
    Basically Intermittent Fasting for me means having two good sized a meals a day instead of snacking throughout the day.
    The 16:8 means going for 16 hours without food (coffee, diet soda, and that is o.k.) and the rest of the day's food for the other eight hours of the day.
    Probably I eat closer to 14:10 most days.
    This lifestyle helps me not think about food all day like I was before and allows me to have nicer/larger meals when I do eat. I am not doing it everyday, . . . probably five days a week.

• CaliforniaRower
    Options
    Oh! That's very interesting. Thanks
  • CaliforniaRower
    Options
    elen wrote: »
    Hi there! Sorry for your pain. I'm a rower (on the water) but I believe there are good rowing machines in some gyms. It is a very low impact wait to get a lot of calories burned, and get a great workout. Perhaps you should ask your doctor if you can use a rowing machine?
  • CaliforniaRower
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I'm 56 and trying to stay fit and maintain around 120. My goal was originally to get down to 115, which was my lowest post-baby weight, but haven't been able to get there or maintain below 120. It's so much harder to take the weight off and keep it off because metabolism does slow down post-menopause. I try to stick to around 1200 + exercise calories during the week and have one cheat day on the week-end. I exercise at least 5 times a week -- yoga, strength training, sometimes zumba or kickboxing, and walking at least 30 minutes a day.

Admirable! How tall are you?
  • CaliforniaRower
    Options

Hello to CA from PA! :smiley:

Wow, your life sounds a lot like mine. Especially the part about being able to skip a day eating and drop 4 pounds no sweat. Things are different on this side of 50, however, especially post-menopause. Good news (at least for me) is that I am still able to lose weight on a regular basis (down 20 lbs. since Jan. 5). I'm exercising a reasonable amount now and not going berserk- 60 minutes treadmill (moderate pace but at 3-7% grades) three or four times a week and weights (again, moderate routines that I actually want to do). And just as Turtle wrote, I am eating well and not starving myself, either (I'm on 1200 calories a day). Also, my clothes fit me so much better since January!

My goal is to lose weight, stave off osteo, and keep my heart healthy... I've treated my body like an amusement park for far too long so now it's time to get off the roller coaster and act my age lol

From what you've written it sounds like you could do with some meal planning and taking the Boy Scout motto to heart and Be Prepared. If I'm facing the work week without having a fridge full of sensible food (that I've prepared myself) and snacks, it's a disaster. Then you won't feel tempted to give in to your assistant's goodies. Sunday is my day to cook and Be Prepared for the week. But if baking is cathartic for you, maybe you can find a worthy cause to donate the sweet stuff to. Nursing home, maybe? Or if you can't find any takers, challenge yourself to turn your favorite recipes into low cal, low fat versions. It's pretty easy these days with so many online resources.

Don't let hopelessness rule you- fight back and tell yourself that you can do this! Every little bit of good you do today will make a difference tomorrow. Good luck, California!!
    Wow! Thanks so much. I see that it really is a problem of being unprepared. I'm getting the hang of it. I hope to have success like yours in a few months! Thanks again