im not losing any weight so far with 1200 kcal diet..wats wrong

Options
amrittamandarine01
amrittamandarine01 Posts: 10
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Im 23 yrs old and 5'2" tall with 58kgs of weight
Ive been following 1200 kcal diet for 15 days now.. And i weigh the same no reduction is seen watsoeva i do

I try to consume approx 900-1000 kcal per day and i burn about 400 kcal per day runnin and elliptical for 4-5 days per week..
And yet i see no change in the scale..

Im tryin to lose atleast 5 -4 kgs in a month or 45days maximum..
I eat very little and even then i see no diffrence..

Pls help..

Replies

• virelay129
    virelay129 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's because you are not eating enough. The 1200 calorie diet means to eat 1200 calories. If you exercise, you need to eat more. Most people here eat back 50 to 75 percecnt of what they work off.
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    1200 is absolutely MINIMUM (although most agree this is off, and shouldn't be under 1400 calories). And this is NET. So if you work off 400 calories a day, you need to eat at LEAST 1600 calories so your totals end up around 1200. Basically your body is going into starvation mode. I know it sounds backwards, but eat more, and you will lose.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Luckily for your body you are likely to be eating far more than you think due to inaccuracies in logging. You should be aiming for at least 1200 (in all likelihood with your exercise more than that. As your BMI is well within normal range and your goals seems to be a BMI only just above underweight I would ask why you think you need to lose weight? If its a body shape you wish to get I suggest concentrating on proper nutrition and doing some form of resistance training. This is more likely to give you results than attempting to starve yourself. If you go across to the fitness forum there are plenty of people who will be able to give you great advice on a lifting/resistance program

Good Luck
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    virelay129 wrote: »
    It's because you are not eating enough. The 1200 calorie diet means to eat 1200 calories. If you exercise, you need to eat more. Most people here eat back 50 to 75 percecnt of what they work off.
    Meushichan wrote: »
    1200 is absolutely MINIMUM (although most agree this is off, and shouldn't be under 1400 calories). And this is NET. So if you work off 400 calories a day, you need to eat at LEAST 1600 calories so your totals end up around 1200. Basically your body is going into starvation mode. I know it sounds backwards, but eat more, and you will lose.

If she's really eating 1000 calories, she'd be losing weight.

OP, can you open your diary if it isn't already? Do you use a food scale? In addition, why the rush? With little to lose, it can take a long time to come off, especially if you're already within a healthy weight range.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i was eating at 1200 for 4 months and lost around 2 stone doing this. i then plateaued more than once and was stalling even creating a bigger deficit not eating exercise cals back. i was then told to try upping to 1400 to shake things up for a few weeks and i started losing again. still doing 6 days of exercise a week and sticking to 1400 per day certainly helped. i felt hungry at 1200 now at 1400 i feel i can get through my workouts

BTW i am 5ft and 147lbs
  • nathanhine
    nathanhine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you aim for 1200, unless you weight EVERYTHING you will more than likely be eating more. Try carb cycling for something new, and eat around 50-70g of fat per day.
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    virelay129 wrote: »

true, I eat 1800-2100 calories a day and thats still losing 1lb week for me (if fat loss was my only goal).
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Weigh stuff that you eat. /thread
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    nathanhine wrote: »
    If you aim for 1200, unless you weight EVERYTHING you will more than likely be eating more. Try carb cycling for something new, and eat around 50-70g of fat per day.

I was surprised to find that my 112g chicken breasts were really 236g-320g range.

100g is pretty much 30g protein, 4g fat, and 0g carb. when youre trying to stay around a certain calorie range, eating 300g chicken makes you eat at least 300 more calories than intended (in my case, I want the protein and not so concerned about the calories).
  • amrittamandarine01
    Options
    I dunt feel hungry as well.. Im nt on the heavy side..but lately i gained 7-8kgs...so wantin to lose it..cuz i cant look at myself in the mirror so heavy and fat around my thighs :/ ..

So u guys suggest tht if i workout for 400 kcal per day..i hav to fill in the 400 and make sure i end up havin 1200kcal a day ryt? ..

Ok let me try this ;)..

Hope it works
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I dunt feel hungry as well.. Im nt on the heavy side..but lately i gained 7-8kgs...so wantin to lose it..cuz i cant look at myself in the mirror so heavy and fat around my thighs :/ ..

So u guys suggest tht if i workout for 400 kcal per day..i hav to fill in the 400 and make sure i end up havin 1200kcal a day ryt? ..

Ok let me try this ;)..

Hope it works

Please open your diary. It is likely that you are eating more than you think.

• amrittamandarine01
    Options
    Its open.. And im 101% sure im not eatin more..
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring your food, or just guessing at serving sizes? All the foods listed as homemade, are you (or someone in your house) making those or are they just entries you've found in the database (ie, do you actually know what has gone into them in order to have an accurate idea of their calorie content)?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    In addition to the questions Nony asked you, there are days not filled in, and there are generic entries as well.
  • amrittamandarine01
    Options
    I hav prepared them and i knw the quatities.. So im quiet sure abt that..
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i was surprised also the pre packaged things are quite off on weights. i have to weigh everything i was finding portions the package said were really lying. 1400 seems ok for me at the moment but if i plateau again i will adjust
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I hav prepared them and i knw the quatities.. So im quiet sure abt that..

But are you using a food scale to weigh everything? If not, you're eating more than you think.
  • amrittamandarine01
    amrittamandarine01 Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My daily food intake

Breakfast
    Whole wheat bread 2
    1 scrambled egg
    Coffee

Lunch
    Orange / any fruit juice freshly made at home..
    Only if i feel kinda hungry only then i take..jus 3tbsp of rice ( jus for taste) and have it..( tis happens occationally not always)

Dinner
    K special cereal wid skim milk

Snaks
    Marie biscuit 2-3
    With coffee ( 300ml)

Tis is my daily intake..
    Mayb at times ..ter myt b an extra addition of 200 calories ( very rare cases )..

• amrittamandarine01
    Options
    Basically my daily intake does not exceed.. 900 calories..cuz im not a foodie.. I dunt get tempted ..
    And i do 60mins of work out .
    About 400 ckal maximum wil b burnt..for sure.. Atleast every alternate days i do exercise
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    OP--

#1 2 weeks isn't enough time to say "I'm not losing any weight"

#2 If you weigh your food you are incredibly accurate with your input- -everything seems to weigh the same EVERY day(this could be an issue since when I weigh things they seldom if ever weight the exact same)

#3 If you use grams for weighing being as consistent as possible would be recommended since you have a lower desire intake(1200 calories) then many folks here so you much less room for error.

#4 By not eating back your exercise calories you can enjoy a less then optimal workout the next time.

#5 It seems you are at a healthy weight and trying to dump down an additional 16 plus pounds may not be ideal.

#6 In conclusion--weigh EVERYTHING accurately, log it accurately, and after 6 weeks, you see no improvement toward your goal maybe you can research hormonal reaction to limited dietary intake with exercise OR read it now, be realistic with your goal, and good luck.