chickpeas

lizp114
lizp114 Posts: 202 Member
Hello everyone, I am thinking about trying chickpeas. I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good recipe to start out with?

Replies

• davi0937
    davi0937 Posts: 1 Member
    Crispy Chickpea Fritters
  • LaceyCOBound
    LaceyCOBound Posts: 2 Member
    Here's a couple of recipes to start - I'm personally a fan of #4 and #7.
    The Kitchn
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Personally, I think the best way to eat them is in a salad. Just toss some in with the rest of your ingredients. I have a recipe for a Mediterranean chicken and chickpea salad that has a Greek yogurt base, but of course I can't find it. It has feta cheese and cucumber in it, too.

On a side note, I have tried the roasted chickpeas. If you've ever had Corn-Nuts, that's what they reminded me of. I'm not a fan, so I never made them again.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited March 2015
    I made a soup last week with chickpeas, spinach and lots of garlic and rosemary. It was terrific. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/hearty-white-bean-spinach-soup-rosemary-garlic-recipe.html. Note that the recipe calls for white beans, but I had chickpeas.
  • WhyW8
    WhyW8 Posts: 54 Member
    Hummus. Once you make your own, you will find it hard to buy store bought. I have that as an afternoon snack. I dip carrots, bell peppers and sugar snap peas in it.
    I have also added them to salads and also tried roasting them in the oven with spices. That last one didn't turn out well for me and I had to chuck the batch.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Falafels! Yum!
  • Cantaloupe321
    Cantaloupe321 Posts: 53 Member
    http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/herb-pistachio-falafel/

I've found that it take 20-25 minutes for the falafel to fully cook. I've never tried the cashew nut dressing, but it sounds good.
  • katcbowers
    katcbowers Posts: 1 Member
    I just made this today! It is so yummy! http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/4131623-Greek-Chickpea-Salad
  • geohunt
    geohunt Posts: 9 Member
    Here's a couple of recipes to start - I'm personally a fan of #4 and #7.
    The Kitchn

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Love me some chickpeas! There are great recipes out there!
  • geohunt
    geohunt Posts: 9 Member
    I smashed a can of chickpeas with a fork and added chopped onions and celery. Mixed in greek yogurt. Served on a flatout spinach wrap with lettuce. Good and filling though next time I'll mix in some llight mayo. Very inexpesive as well. I made three wraps with one can.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    geohunt wrote: »
    I smashed a can of chickpeas with a fork and added chopped onions and celery. Mixed in greek yogurt. Served on a flatout spinach wrap with lettuce. Good and filling though next time I'll mix in some llight mayo. Very inexpesive as well. I made three wraps with one can.

Great point. MANY beans make the basis for a good sandwich spread!
  • cloudninesunshine
    cloudninesunshine Posts: 2 Member
    In a curry! Coconut milk, veggies of choice (I like sweet potato, carrots, edamame beans, and tomatoes, but anything you like will do), chickpeas and loads of yummy spices (cumin, chili, garlic, coriander, turmeric). Onions is probably a good addition as well, but I wouldn't know since I can't chop the little *kitten* without losing my sight for a good 15-30 minutes. I usually eat it as a soup stew with a naan/other flatbread, but you could pour it over rice if you're into that.