Logging Inaccurately

Options
I have a family meal later on for Mother's Day (UK), and I want to log today but I have no idea what I'm logging.

I can enter rough estimates judging by what the meal is but what if my estimates are way too high or too low? Should I not bother logging as there's not much point?

I'm going to eat less of the fattier stuff and more of the veg etc but I don't want to sabotage my whole week's effort just from one day, and I won't know the damage as I can't log it properly. If it helps I've stayed within my 1200 every other day this week, but it's my first week of being 'back on it' so to speak, so I don't want to fail at the first weekend.

Advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Enjoy Mothers' Day. If you're like me, don't forget: one of the reasons you decided to take this journey was to feel comfortable in your own skin on days like these and others. This, "I'm going to eat less of the fattier stuff and more of the veg" sounds like a good plan. From what you've learned so far, try to make the best choices and don't worry too much about the logging. One day/meal without exact logging won't do you in. Have fun, and Happy Mothers' Day!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Normally id just chill and not worry or id have done a little bit of extra exercise each day last week to earn some calories for today. Theres all sorts of strategies you could use.

Pick one and feel comfy its all part of your plan, as jane said its just one day.
    Enjoy the food.

Here are some ways or thoughts on restricting/ controlling calories if you dont wnat to completely let go.

1. Portion control, you must have an idea how small the portions are youve been eating so eat suitable size porions, use a small plate.
    2. You can bulk up on the healthier less calorific foods and just eat sensible amounts of the high claorie ones(loke you said) The way things are cooked adds greatly to caloris so oil, butter etc increases the calories steamd and boiled does not.
    3. If youve done 1200 (accurate), then thats a weekly deficit of c3000 calories. Its unlikely you are going to undo all that with a single meal, probably 800-1500 tops.
    4. If you get that worried agree to walk an extra 20 minutes a day next week.
    5. Enjoy your food and time with your mother.

Managing events like this is all in line with MFP being about lifestyle changes you cna live with rather than being too rigid.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies:)

Logged with estimates and it totals at around 2400, although for all I know this could be way off. I'm now 400 cals over my weekly intake so guess this first week is a dud! Back on it tomorrow.
  • honeybee_kisses
    honeybee_kisses Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Happy Mother's Day! We've spent the day at my mother in laws, lots of family, everyone had to bring a cake...I had 2 slices and then a few other bits such as tasters from the cheese board, piece of quiche etc and had no idea how much I ate so I just quick added 1000 calories. Probably way off lol but I accept there will be days like today from time to time. Hope you enjoyed you day :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    natboosh69 wrote: »

Logged with estimates and it totals at around 2400, although for all I know this could be way off. I'm now 400 cals over my weekly intake so guess this first week is a dud! Back on it tomorrow.

So you made a choice to log during a fairly challenging week and were successful at doing that. To me, not a dud. Good luck on all your future goals!

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Keep logging everyday and you will do great. :)
    Think of weight loss as developing new habits.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options

I agree with JaneiR36 this is not a dud. you made an effort to track what you ate and that is good. You may be surprised this one day may not have much affect at all.

The best part of your post "Back on it tomorrow"

keep up the good work and happy mother's day
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Not a dud. One thing I've learned recently is that your data is so important. Sometimes I wouldn't log a high day, but now I always do. I want to be able to look back and see where I lost, where I gained, when I hit a plateau. If I have the data I know exactly why my body is doing what it's doing.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I agree with JaneiR36 this is not a dud. you made an effort to track what you ate and that is good. You may be surprised this one day may not have much affect at all.

The best part of your post "Back on it tomorrow"

keep up the good work and happy mother's day

Thank you :)
    Not a dud. One thing I've learned recently is that your data is so important. Sometimes I wouldn't log a high day, but now I always do. I want to be able to look back and see where I lost, where I gained, when I hit a plateau. If I have the data I know exactly why my body is doing what it's doing.

Same tbh I never used to log 'cheat days', but this time around I'm making sure to log as accurately as possible, even on the bad days. I want to be able to tweak things as needed but need accurate data and stats to do so!