Men lose weight so easy...

Options

Replies

• scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This is what I hear from time to time from women... I'm sure it has nothing to do with weighing all my food and hitting the gym 6 days a week!

So do you think men really lose easier than women?

I have no idea how difficult women in general find losing weight, but when I see the sort of macros/calories women have to cut to, I do feel for them. I mean in proportion to size, build, etc it should be fine. But most things you eat seem to be in 'man sizes' so I'd imagine it's a bit more of a job for a female to then cut that down. But I hope when people say it's easier for men, they just mean it's a bit easier and not easy. Because it isn't easy at all, not for anyone. I'm just over 10 stone and it's an absolute struggle at times that leaves me anxious if I think I've gone just a few grams of carbs over what I'm aiming for.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    when I hear a woman say men lose weight faster I assume she's lazy making excuses. you don't hear me complaining that I dont lose blood weight every month.

Seriously?? You ever had an anatomy class?

Or a girlfriend :huh:

• Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    when I hear a woman say men lose weight faster I assume she's lazy making excuses. you don't hear me complaining that I dont lose blood weight every month.

^^^^^What a douche bag :o

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Something that I think is important to keep in mind here:

We're discussing the relative difficulty between genders. It certainly is not "easy" for men to lose weight.

Sometimes discussions like this can become insulting because it paints a picture that men can just lose fat with ease or without any effort. And that is simply not the case.

Comparatively, I believe on average it's a bit more challenging for women.
    I agree with all this. I think on the whole it is more challenging for women.

But what I hate is the "you're taller/bigger so you can create a bigger deficit and eat more." Yeah sure, but I also have to eat more in order to be satiated. My mouth, stomach, etc are not the same as that of a 5-foot woman. I could make the same ridiculous argument that women "have it easy" because they can be not hungry on a smaller number of calories than I can.

And I hate the total math fail of comparing pound for pound loss rates of someone whose ideal weight is like 150% of the other person's. Of course the bigger person is going to lose "faster" when you completely ignore proportions. Same goes for the size of a calorie deficit. By this logic mice must have it really extra double super hard, because think of how long it must take a mouse to lose ten pounds. ;)
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

tumblr_inline_n79tyvZLhV1rk4p6f.gif

Are you by any chance a U.S. senator?
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yes because they don't ovulate or menstruate. They bloat sure, but that's about it. They don't have like one week out of the month where it is the opportune time to weigh oneself, like us ladies. They can weigh whenever. They aren't really plagued by waterweight.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I think men have physical and hormonal differences that make it easier compared to women to see and get results. However I don't think that makes it "easy for men to lose weight".
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of that commercial for some weight loss thing, a woman is there eating her salad trying to lose weight, her husband sits down next to her, drinks a glass of water and boom, looks thin...then the dog comes along, drinks out of his water bowl, and boom looks thin. And shes just looking at them like wtf?!

I dont even know what product that commercial was for, but I laugh whenever I think about it, because it really feels that way!!!

• KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Oh, great. Another way us males can be resented for being male.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh, great. Another way us males can be resented for being male.

Whaa? No way. I dont resent men at all... I'm grateful to be born a woman, wouldn't have it any other way! It would suck to resent men considering that would severely limit my pool of dating prospects...to like, zero. LoL!

Its nothing more than an observation and musing on our differences...at least from my perspective :blush:
  • TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Edit.... some people thought I was being serious..... apparently.
  • MsBeverleyH
    MsBeverleyH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Well, I've only ever been one gender. So I don't really have anything to compare it to, you know? You'd have to have a heck of an experiment to officially see what happens, and personally I don't have time to orchestrate that.

Whether it's muscle and/or hormones and/or emotions, I really don't care. I think what's important is that you do whatever you need to do in order to see the results that you'd like. If anyone says "oh, you lose weight easier cause you're ______", then they're just ignorant tools who clearly don't know how hard you're trying.

Aka: to 'heck' with them.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    This is what I hear from time to time from women... I'm sure it has nothing to do with weighing all my food and hitting the gym 6 days a week!

So do you think men really lose easier than women?

It can definitely feel that way. I mean, if me and hubby both order the same meal at a restaurant, we aren't going to receive different portions based on gender (nor would I want anything like a children's menu, except for women, to be offered), so it can feel a little unfair that he could eat the entire meal and it could be just 1/2 of his daily needs, whereas if I ate that entire meal it might meet or exceed my entire calorie allowance for the day.
    But, he's taller and a lot more muscular than I am and has a fairly active job, so my feelings that it's unfair that he gets to eat more are kind of bratty and I recognize that.

The biological factors that give men a bit of an advantage, however, are not enough to dismiss a fit males' fitness as being due simply to biology with no credit owed to his own discipline. It would indeed be laughable if an otherwise healthy but overweight out-of-shape sedentary woman credited a fit males' fitness, and excused her lack of fitness, to the differences in the biology of the sexes.

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yes. Men are loaded with testosterone, which builds/retains muscle. Women are loaded with progesterone and estrogen, which want to hang on to fat to nourish a pregnancy.

The differences usually make women's weight loss slower than men's.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

giphy-facebook_s.jpg
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Having never been a man, I can't give a definitive answer to that question :) It's like those that say it's harder to lose weight when you are short (I'm 5'2"), but since I've always been short I can't agree with that either.

My workout buddy is male and I can say that he struggles with losing weight, in a different way from what I go through. Each one of us experiences things in regards to losing weight in different ways with varying levels of difficulty.

Losing weight in general is difficult!
  • pap3rw1ngs
    pap3rw1ngs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Not in my experience. I've been overseeing my husband's intake (since I make his meals) and he doesn't "cheat" at all and yet he's not losing at the steady rate I would expect him to given he's 50+lbs overweight.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It is possible that men in general lose easier than women, or it's possible they don't, I don't know. At the same time, I seriously doubt someone is trying to undermine your success or any hardships you've faced. I think it was @herrspoons‌ who often says sth along the lines of "People don't really care how much you lost or how, they care about their own problems"? Sorry if I got that wrong. Whoever it is, they're right. Just move on.

Regarding the guy who was so concerned with blood weight... I am going to be the eternal optimist that I am and assume that he is just very very young and trying to sound interestingly blunt, and coming across the way he did only by accident. It happens so often when you try for the "interestingly blunt" too hard...
  • BeardedStudWarrior
    BeardedStudWarrior Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I wish I cared enough to read all the posts... But I am really lazy. Ill just say that everyone is different and everyone loses different and who cares who loses easier. Now............ DANCE PARTY!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    "Easier" doesn't equal "easy" and that's the only issue here. I just sort of shrug and ignore people at that point.