Kinesiologist recommends 175g protein for 136lbs woman?

Options
Hi, I am not new to weight lifting, bulking/cutting and counting macros. As far as I know, if you want to put on muscle, the grams of protein you eat should be equal to your lean body mass (or some say your entire weight).

So I was a bit surprised when the kinesiologist at the gym said 175g of protein instead of somehere in the 120-140g range for a 136lbs, 5'6" woman.

Thoughts? I will do it if it's all good, but I know once you get too much protein, your body starts converting the extra protein into fat.

Thanks.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what is a Kinesiologist????

if you want to gain muscle you need to eat in a calorie surplus. You also want to get about 40-50% of your calories from carbs and then fill in rest with protein and fat. If you are 136 pounds then yes about 120 to 140 grams would be about right. However, there is nothing wrong with having more protein….

you might want to read the sticky on here about bulking, there is some great info in it.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did read it. I recall it saying grams of protein should be equal to lbs of lean body mass. I have no problem eating at a surplus, I'm not afraid to gain weight. I just don't want to over-stuff myself if I don't have to.

A kinesiologist is apparently a trainer at a gym that "plans training, physical preparation and follow-up of athletes and sports teams."
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    what is a Kinesiologist????

Per wikipedia: Kinesiology, also known as human kinetics, is the scientific study of human movement. Kinesiology addresses physiological, mechanical, and psychological mechanisms. Applications of kinesiology to human health include biomechanics and orthopedics; strength and conditioning; sport psychology; methods of rehabilitation, such as physical and occupational therapy; and sport and exercise. Individuals who have earned degrees in kinesiology can work in research, the fitness industry, clinical settings, and in industrial environments.

OP, the body stores excess calorie consumption as fat and doesn't particularly care if those calories come from protein or another source. So extra protein is no more likely to end up in fat gain.

OTOH I'm not sure that "more is better" really applies in this case, as apparently the body can only make use of so much protein at any given time and the rest is waste.

Perhaps the kinesiologist doesn't have much faith in your ability to accurately track protein intake and wanted to build in a bit of a buffer for error? I dunno, just a thought.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    iorahkwano wrote: »
    Yes, I did read it. I recall it saying grams of protein should be equal to lbs of lean body mass. I have no problem eating at a surplus, I'm not afraid to gain weight. I just don't want to over-stuff myself if I don't have to.

A kinesiologist is apparently a trainer at a gym that "plans training, physical preparation and follow-up of athletes and sports teams."

Oh Ok, never heard of that before.

I would suggest that you make sure that you hit your minimum protein/fat/carb intakes and then fill the rest in with carbs…

really the caloric surplus is king in a bulk ….
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You're fine with the 120-140g range.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    iorahkwano wrote: »
    Hi, I am not new to weight lifting, bulking/cutting and counting macros. As far as I know, if you want to put on muscle, the grams of protein you eat should be equal to your lean body mass (or some say your entire weight).

So I was a bit surprised when the kinesiologist at the gym said 175g of protein instead of somehere in the 120-140g range for a 136lbs, 5'6" woman.

Thoughts? I will do it if it's all good, but I know once you get too much protein, your body starts converting the extra protein into fat.

Thanks.

I'm 5'6 and 133-135. I can't imagine trying to eat 175 grams. blah. Good luck with whatever you decide. I personally think that's too much.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    At 1600 calories per day hitting 140 grams of protein is very difficult...175 would be almost impossible unless very low carb. Totally unnecessary too and you will end up eliminating the excess anyway.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I assume this kinesiologist has at minimum a degree in kin and there is certification as well. You should question the reason why he or she advocates such a high amount of protein and ask for the specific research to back it up. Also, he or she probably shouldn't be proscribing a diet anyway if he or she isn't a RD but that's a whole other area of discussion.

You should always ask for reasons when something doesn't sound right rather than just take their word for it no matter what title they go by.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and weigh a bit less than you and I aim for 110 to 120. I do cardio and lift weights every other day 6 days a week. Run your numbers through an online calculator and see what they come up with for your age, height, weight, BMI if you know it and your activity levels.

If you track your numbers already like your BMI, TDEE, and keep up with your calorie burn you can get a good approx. to shoot for and you can setup your macros under custom setting in MFP..
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You're fine with the 120-140g range.

^^this*.

*assuming you are maintaining or bulking, and even if cutting its probably ample.

Personally, I would put the excess calories to carbs (or create a smaller surplus) but it really depends on how your fats are, performance and personal preference.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited March 2015
    Options
    FWIW, my highest protein goal is 170g - thats when I am cutting. Its higher than usual as there is some argument to higher protein when older so it was a bit of a 'try it and see;. Usually my goal when cutting is 150 - 160g and when maintaining its 135 - 145g (these are set by my coach). I weigh quite a bit more than you - around the 161 - 163lb mark.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I bulk and cut just fine on .8g of protein per lb of body weight. I think any more than that is a waste, expensive, hard on the kidneys and digestive system and cutting into valuable carbs and fat.

It doesn't matter what macro it is, if you eat more calories than you need it will go to fat UNLESS you are progressively heavy lifting 3 x per week all body, then you may get half muscle to half fat gain.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    FWIW, my highest protein goal is 170g - thats when I am cutting. Its higher than usual as there is some argument to higher protein when older so it was a bit of a 'try it and see;. Usually my goal when cutting is 150 - 160g and when maintaining its 135 - 145g (these are set by my coach). I weigh quite a bit more than you - around the 161 - 163lb mark.

Hi! I'm older :-( can you tell me more about why us geriatrics need more protein? I would have thought it would get 'ignored' even more by the body due to lack of hormones etc ( I'm hypothesising out loud!)
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi! I'm older :-( can you tell me more about why us geriatrics need more protein? I would have thought it would get 'ignored' even more by the body due to lack of hormones etc ( I'm hypothesising out loud!)

At the risk of name dropping, my coach is Alberto Nunez and I actually discussed this very briefly with Eric Helms (sorry - sounds douchy with the name dropping, but just mentioning them so you know the reliability of the source). It's nothing actually 'proven' as such - just something they are looking at and extrapolating from what is known I beleive. There is evidence that older people need bigger bolus' (sounds rude lol) to activate MPS (I think Layne discusses it on one of his vlogs). I did not get into too many details with them but I think it has to do with not being as efficient at utilizing/partitioning protein and possibly that we use more for non MPS purposes.

Typing this out makes me realize that I should have asked more questions lol.

ETA: to clarify, the higher protein comment was about possibly 'optimizing' MPS. Sort of eeking out that little bit extra - which at the end of the day is not useful if it causes adherence problems.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Great thanks! Food for thought! Mmmmmmm fooood
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options

At the risk of name dropping, my coach is Alberto Nunez and I actually discussed this very briefly with Eric Helms (sorry - sounds douchy with the name dropping, but just mentioning them so you know the reliability of the source). It's nothing actually 'proven' as such - just something they are looking at and extrapolating from what is known I beleive. There is evidence that older people need bigger bolus' (sounds rude lol) to activate MPS (I think Layne discusses it on one of his vlogs). I did not get into too many details with them but I think it has to do with not being as efficient at utilizing/partitioning protein and possibly that we use more for non MPS purposes.

ETA: to clarify, the higher protein comment was about possibly 'optimizing' MPS. Sort of eeking out that little bit extra - which at the end of the day is not useful if it causes adherence problems.

Since you name dropped and referenced Layne as well, has the usage of BCAAs ever come up by Alberto or Eric to utilize in hypo-caloric states to help with MPS?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

Since you name dropped and referenced Layne as well, has the usage of BCAAs ever come up by Alberto or Eric to utilize in hypo-caloric states to help with MPS?

Have you seen youtube video this by Eric? The series is great, but this one is on supps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tp3ZIFKkLg

They have BCAA's as a 'possibly useful as a CYA but not necessary', and unlikely to provide additional benefits in a surplus category basically.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

Have you seen youtube video this by Eric? The series is great, but this one is on supps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tp3ZIFKkLg

They have BCAA's as a 'possibly useful as a CYA but not necessary', and unlikely to provide additional benefits in a surplus category basically.

Yep, have watched it many times. I just know Layne is a proponent of them (taking their potential efficacy in context of being minimal in the overall scope of things), but didn't know if Eric's thoughts on the matter had shifted since he did the series and as you mention, the older populace having to take in larger boluses of protein (thus more luecine) to activate MPS events. Also, my statement was in a hypo-caloric situation and not hyper...I know your statement was about "in a surplus category..." My thoughts were just utilizing BCAAs to stimulate those events at points where larger protein intake is not possible due to logistics or wanting to have a greater focus on say... carbs, yet being able to ingest BCAAs to induce MPS events without too many added calories.