Wii fit - what should I get?

Options
maillemaker
maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
I'm considering getting a Wii fit.

I don't know anything about game consoles (my last one was an Atari 2600) or what it comes with or what should I get.

Someone give me the low-down.

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I will bump this for you!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I had a WII Fit. I sold the system in favor of the XBox Kinect. LOVE the Kinect!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I love my Wii. I don't have the Wii Fit (with the balance board) .... but I have a few games that don't require a balance board. I like how I can add on (or not).

There are lots of games you can play using the Wii console & remote controls. The balance board is an add on for additional games. Many times a console will come with a game .... look for Just Dance or Wii Sports .... SuperMario is fun but not active

Games I like: Just Dance ..... Walk it Out .... Gold's Cardio (Boxing) and Exerbeat ........ Zumba is very popular (but I have two left feet). In addition to a balance board there is also a dance mat (make sure your console accomodates that if you like dance games ... I use Just Dance w/o a mat). The requirements for games (remotes, balance board, mat, whatever) appear as little icons on the back of the games.

You can also rent fitness games (a few) from RedBox .... you can test drive a couple different games.

XBox (I don't have one) ..... allows you to do fitness games (whatever) ... without a remote control. I like the idea of no remote, no mat, etc .... however, if you play certain games .... the XBox can be a money pit with XBox points and whatnot.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If you don't play video games and are looking for an interactive system to work out with, then probably any platform would work for you. If you do play other videogames, then you may want to look at the systems out there and see which one has more of the style/type of games you like.

For my exercise. I use the Xbox with Kinect and find it works really well for me because it doesn't require any accessories - it simply tracks your body. I mainly do Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012. My wife loves it for the Zumba game. There are several other Kinect games I play that get me a bit of a workout (though I never count them as exercise).

Many of the franchise video games like YS:FE are available on all platforms, so if you prefer the Wii, you can usually get those games. I just looked and YS:FE 2012 comes with a body-tracking camera for the Wii...
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've worked out on both but I prefer the Xbox 360 and Kinect because it requires full body movement (I wasn't a Wii cheater but my friends were). Another reason why I prefer it is because I noticed that on a lot of the games had more songs for Xbox than they did for Wii. The Wii is cool because the Wii can also

Dance games are good like Michael Jackson Experience, Hip Hop Dance Experience. They have Zumba (I like Zumba Core the best). I read that UFC Personal Trainer and Nike+ Training are really good too.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I've used both Kinect and Wii. My wii died last year and my husband wants to get it again. There are a few games that I really enjoyed using on the Wii that aren't available for the Kinect, so I'm excited to get one again. I love the tracking that the wii fit game had and the balance games were cute and fun.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    I play video games but play on the PC. I've never been a big fan of consoles for video games. I'm mostly into simulators anyway.

So this would be only for fitness use.
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Gym will be great for fitness. Less time to spend on the video games.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Yeah I looked into a gym membership but we can't really afford $80 a month for a gym membership.
  • JustME1611
    JustME1611 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    All of the Just Dance games are fun and good exercise.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    where do you live? there are plenty of gyms in most cities/suburbs for a lot less than that.

and i think the wi fit is a bad idea. youd be better off doing bodyweight exerercises and cardio(jumping rope as an example) and such.
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I use my Wii for some of the exrercise games. I do the hula hoop and the stair step. I think they are on the disk that comes with it. If not they would be on the Wii fit plus. There are several things in there that are a form of exercise such as riding bike, walking, yoga, misc. All make you move and some are good for balance. I do have the balance board though, use it for most of it. Hope this helps. I also lost most of my weight by walking... and more walking.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Yeah I looked into a gym membership but we can't really afford $80 a month for a gym membership.

Try getting a membership at the Ymca, they offer assistance, and a family membership could be as little as 20 a month depending on your income :)
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a 9 yr old very active son. We enjoy playing Wii fit games (running, bowling, boxing, golf, tennis, step etc). I have the balance board. He is asking for Wii resort for his birthday this month so we can play basketball etc.
  • kshuysen
    kshuysen Posts: 1
    Options
    I really enjoy my Wii fit and now that I'm back on the wagon, I have no excuse. I like how you can monitor your progress and the training is fun and enjoyable.
    In my community, if you go to the pool/recreation centre, you can ask to get a play pass. It is for low income people/families; it gives you 48 free visits for the year, Best of luck. :)
  • likethe309
    likethe309 Posts: 26
    Options
    I bought WiiFit a few years ago and used it heavily for about a month. Now i use it once a week as a glorified scale.
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    Just Dance games are fun for a lower impact day! I also liked the EA Active 2, but found the required sensors to be a pain because they wouldn't read or work. I stopped using it part because the arm sensor wouldn't read even after I changed the batteries and I just gave up.

I use Wii Fit as my scale too, but don't really like the routines. I did the "aerobics" once, and even as a beginner, I found the offerings laughable. But that is just my opinion.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    where do you live? there are plenty of gyms in most cities/suburbs for a lot less than that.

I'm in Huntsville, Alabama. The going rate here is about $40/month for single, $80 for family.

I also have 2 kids who like the computer and think they would have fun and stay fit with it.