Weighing food

Options
i finally bought a food scale, and I'm having a really hard time finding food measurements on my fitness pal in grams. For instance I just had some mayo (9g) and I couldn't find the measurements on my fitness pal in grams. Only teaspoons, tablespoons and cups etc. I'm having a really hard time finding a lot of my foods in the right measurements.i know there must be an easier way. Please give me any and all tips possible because I really want to do this right.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will make new entries that show the grams. I'm too lazy for that, so I divide the grams I used by the grams per serving and enter that no matter the entry.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I just made my own private database. I only use the public stuff if it's e..g take out or something I use infrequently.
  • Chikika
    Chikika Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If I can't find the right amount on the site, I just calculate out how many calories it should be and match whatever measurement they have to the calorie amount I calculated.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if Im unable to find it, I create it and use my own entry.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I just make my own entry , for example if that 9 grams was 30 calories then create your own entry for it . then it'll be saved in your foods for next time
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the MFP database is full of "1 tbsp" entries which is not particularly helpful, you have to search for one that has grams also and then enter your fraction of a serving. There's an entry for Hellman's mayo, 1 tbsp (14 g) is 90 calories. Select it and enter your serving as 0.64 (9 divided by 14).
  • BeardedStudWarrior
    BeardedStudWarrior Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just make my own entries!!!!!! Why???? Cause Hunter MFP. Superstar and I am a certified G and a bona fide stud.... BOOM!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    A lot of people will make new entries that show the grams. I'm too lazy for that, so I divide the grams I used by the grams per serving and enter that no matter the entry.

Ditto. I can tell you how many grams is a serving for most things now, even if it's not in grams in the database, lol.
  • katherinemfries
    katherinemfries Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with scanning the barcode on everything I make, then on the actual food item it has a serving size in grams.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I use the barcode too. There is a drop down menu on the phone app to choose the serving size. I usually select 1g or 100g, then I can enter the exact weight of whatever I'm eating. I haven't had too much trouble finding things. I did just have to enter my wine in fluid oz but luckily my scale measures liquid too so that wasn't a problem.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I just figure out how many grams are in one serving and divide it by the serving I took. I just did that for some sweet corn that was left over. It is easy and I dont have to take the time to make my own entry. I make all my own recipes and meals on here so that took long enough.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You can also use the recipe builder tool for things that you will always make with the same amount of ingredients like pancakes.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I sometimes search the USDA Nutritional Database for the info then make my own entry here.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For fruits and veggies use the plural form and add usda or raw and the grams should come up easier. For other stuff it is hit or miss. I'll either search for the grams one, make my own, or do the math and use the tsp/tbsp/cup entry.
  • billiebutton
    billiebutton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I find if I type the item in google for example Raw String Beans myfitnesspal, it will show me an entry that has grams as an option. If I can't find one I'll make my own entry or do the conversion. I usually find if you google it outside of myfitnesspal an option comes up where it's in grams.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't find it tricky - I normally find one within a couple of tries that has a decent number of member confirmations - if I haven't found the non-asterisked version that is

You know there's a drop down menu that shows the different weights for each entry yes?