I'm thinking of giving up coffee. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• dinunziod
    Options
    Drink it black or drink plain ice tea.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Brandzilla wrote: »
    I pile on the cream and sugar. I've tried cutting down on the cream and sugar but dammit I love it! I've cut down to one cup a day. For the past 4 days other than my one cup of coffee I've only had water and I've been eating cleaner. I had headaches (withdrawals? Sugar addiction?) for the first 3 days. I'm thinking of giving up coffee. Anyone done this? Thoughts on this? Am I crazy? I feel crazy for even thinking of giving up my love coffee.

You're advocating giving up coffee and 'eating clean', me and you are now mortal enemies.

Seriously, just ditch the extras and learn to enjoy black coffee - it really is quite a good thing to have when you're used to it.

And yes, you are crazy for even considering giving up coffee. What kind of person gives up coffee?!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The headaches are from caffine withdrawal. If you can bear with them for a few days they will go away.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If you love the coffee, and my first thought on reading your title, was "NO!!!!! Not the coffee!!!", then why give it up? One comment was just to make it fit your calories for the day. That says it all right there.

I have a huge mug of coffee each morning (12 oz), brewed at home, and have learned to love it with a single packet of Splenda and a single TEASPOON of half and half, just for a teensy bit of mellowness, but not to hide the awesome flavor that is coffee. Just walking through the coffee aisle or driving by a coffee kiosk gets me salivating, I love the stuff that much!

Maybe if you changed your coffee to something that is a mild brew, and a good quality bean, you would not find the need to load your coffee with a lot of other stuff in order to enjoy it? I used to "have to" use flavored creamer to enjoy my coffee, but over the years I developed a love of the coffee itself. I can drink it black, but prefer just a teensy bit of sweetness to it, hence the Splenda. Although, a teaspoon of sugar is just 15 calories, but that's not a heaping teaspoon, that's a leveled off teaspoon. ;)
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Don't give up what you love, burn it off if you think it's preventing weight loss. I drink mine black, but sometimes like it sweet, depends on my mood.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Measure your cream and sugar, and each week cut the amount you use; do it gradually until you don't use it anymore.

Without coffee, you cannot have properly filtered water.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Brandzilla wrote: »
    I pile on the cream and sugar. I've tried cutting down on the cream and sugar but dammit I love it! I've cut down to one cup a day. For the past 4 days other than my one cup of coffee I've only had water and I've been eating cleaner. I had headaches (withdrawals? Sugar addiction?) for the first 3 days. I'm thinking of giving up coffee. Anyone done this? Thoughts on this? Am I crazy? I feel crazy for even thinking of giving up my love coffee.

In the end I gave up basically all forms of Carbs and stuck with the coffee with heavy on coconut oil and whipping cream since it is basically carb free drink for the start of the day.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If you want to get rid of coffee, find a tea that you like. A black tea will probably appeal more to your taste than a green tea. Tazo has a good line of teas and their Awake (Black) and Earl Grey are pretty good.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I forced myself to drink it black when I first started. And that's fine, but it's not necessarily what I want in the morning. Then I went black with 4g of sugar, then 4g of sugar and two tbsp of half & half. (Or one tbsp of heavy cream, if I have it on hand.)

In any case, I enjoy any variation of the above more than the fancy coffee I get once-in-a-blue-moon from the coffee shop. Eventually the single servings of cream/sugar feel a lot more authentic and complex than when stuffed full of cream/sugar/milk/etc.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I can't give up coffee....But I switched to 1% milk, I use 1/2 cup and warm it before I add my coffee to it. I have 2 of those a day and count the calories and macros!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    That's just sad. Get good coffee beans and drink it black.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I gave up coffee because I felt like c**p if I didn't have my usual 8-10 cups daily (and I drank it black). I was obviously addicted to the caffeine. I stopped drinking it, but used caffeine pills to gradually cut down. Eventually I started drinking it again but only one cup in the morning and I don't have withdrawal symptoms if I skip that.

I did have to start drinking it with a small splash of 1/2 and 1/2 to cut the acidity. I can still taste the coffee, but the lower acidity is easier on the stomach.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You're nuts! Coffee's amazing. Those are my thoughts.
  • Brandzilla
    Brandzilla Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    No.
    This sums up most of the responses here. :D Perhaps I'll try some good coffee black and see if I can hang with it.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Coffee that isn't black =/= coffee. Learn to like it black, and you'll be set.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's still coffee. I just happen not to like it without cream and sugar.

1 cup a day with 4tbsp of half and half and 2tsp of sugar - 114 calories that I will always make room for in my daily budget.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    Coffee is the elixir of the gods that keeps me from committing various degrees of violence in the morning. The only way one should take is it backity black black.

racist.

just kidding- I drink it black too.
    -
    and also- coffee shall be drunk- because the idea of going to prison for life doesn't appeal to me.

For the same aformentioned reasons @tat2cookie‌ has stated.

^^ what they said.

But seriously, I see no reason to give up coffee. As everyone said, either (1) drink it all-dressed and adjust your overall caloric intake accordingly, or (2) try to having it black. In terms of caffeine content, if that’s a concern you can always try half-caf (i.e. americanos) or decaf drip coffee.

I like a big black coffee in the morning. It tides me over until lunch and generally makes me a much more pleasant human being. But that’s the ritual, not the caffeine, which doesn’t seem to do much for me. I stopped drinking coffee for a long while and there was no change in my mood/energy/etc.
  • ivoluntas
    ivoluntas Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I only have one cup maybe 1-2 times a week. I never used to drink it but there's a machine at work and sometimes I need the energy. One splenda and one of those small creamer cups. I never overdo it though because it makes me edgy. I would eventually like to get to just black coffee.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    freechewy wrote: »
    I won't give up coffee, ever, I love the taste and smell of it too much and I am particular of the types I drink. I don't use sugar though. Might I suggest Stevia? I use it in the occasional cappuccino that I have and I can't tell the difference. Also, I at times will use a half teaspoon of raw sugar. I find I use less of that than the refined type. ;)

Stevia is great. I used to use it back when I started drinking tea 2 months ago and kind of weaned myself off of it recently. I suggest using almond or cashew milk as a sub for what you normally use.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    GIVING UP COFFEE????!!!

Sheldon-GIFS-sheldon-cooper-32149968-500-223.gif
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    1554558-picard_earl_grey_hot_super.png?w=300&h=262