Will a low carb, high Protein diet for PCOS actually work to lose fat and maintain weight?

Options
Jennym93
Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I believe a lot of advice for those with PCOS is to reduce carb intake, until very recently I was vegetarian and was just reaching for carbs and sugary junk (Not a healthy vegetarian at all I'm ashamed to admit and I do know you can do low carb high protein as vegetarian) But I've started eating meat again for multiple reasons.
I was hoping to increase my meat intake (and vegetable/fruit but watching carbs) and use that as a way to reduce my carb intake (not incredibly low just a fair bit lower than I am currently at) as a more long term lifestyle change, but I'm not sure if this is really going to work.
Does this kind of diet work and can it be done as a lifestyle change?
Has anyone else with PCOS done something along those lines?
If so, any meal ideas?
Suggestions for dining out/big family meals? I live with my parents and they are pretty big carb eaters so when we all eat together for special occasions it's not easy to avoid excessive amounts of carbs

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Yes, it works. I have been doing it for several years. Exercise is also a big key.

Friend people with similar issues and look at their diaries for ideas.

I rarely eat out and don't have a family, so I can't help you with that!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    PCOS here. I agree that it works. We cook very simply so most meals are meat, starch (rice or potatoes) and veggies. I eat more meat and my husband eats more mashed potatoes or rice.

As for dining out, it's not too hard. We just left the Olive Garden where I had herb crusted salmon and salad. It is very rare that I cannot find something to fit my needs while dining out.

I agree with exercise too. Your bmr is likely lower than average due to the PCOS. Exercise means more calories out to help offset that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't know anything about PCOS, but I reduced my carbs to around 100 grams when I first started dieting and increased protein to over 100 grams. I'm now eating more carbs (actually having to work to get them up, heh), but my protein is usually at least 125 grams. It sounds like you are looking for numbers more like that than really low carb and from my perspective it was easy. The main thing was approaching each meal by considering the protein source first and only including a significant starchy carb source with one meal. I'd usually also eat fruit and/or dairy with another meal, and unlimited veggies.

The general pattern of eating is one that I like and plan to maintain, with the specific amount of carbs variable.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Good point. Start off with a moderate reduction in carbs. 100g is good. I've never had to go super low for good results. And I use .8g of protein per pound of bodyweight as my goal. If you go over that is fine.
  • LadyElby
    LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I have been doing low carb since March, with minimal results - in weight loss, in clarity, in feeling good, etc., unlike many people in all the LC groups I'm in. I have recently decided to try a different approach. Instead of trying to stick to ~20 carbs a day and cutting out all fruits and limiting veggies, and drastically increasing fat, I'm trying a modified version of this. I'm doing no processed carbs/sugars, sticking with healthy fats - coconut oil, small amounts of butter, nuts and avocado, lean meats for protein, virtually unlimited veggies (just not the starchy ones like corn, peas and white potatoes), and small to moderate amounts of fruits - focusing on those with higher fiber amounts.

I really think this will be a better approach for me and something that my body will respond to better. I'd love to be MFP friends with anyone else who is doing a similar plan. Send me a request if you like!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Any diet will work if you keep the calories low enough. A lot of people really love their low-carb diets. :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about PCOS, but I reduced my carbs to around 100 grams when I first started dieting and increased protein to over 100 grams. I'm now eating more carbs (actually having to work to get them up, heh), but my protein is usually at least 125 grams. It sounds like you are looking for numbers more like that than really low carb and from my perspective it was easy. The main thing was approaching each meal by considering the protein source first and only including a significant starchy carb source with one meal. I'd usually also eat fruit and/or dairy with another meal, and unlimited veggies.

The general pattern of eating is one that I like and plan to maintain, with the specific amount of carbs variable.

This has been my goal lately as well. With 100 g of carbs a day (total grams not minus fiber) and 100g of protien I am having better control of my hunger.

I am a pcos-er and I have gone completely asymptomatic after losing weight and becoming fit. I did not try to moderate carbs while losing weight at all. I have only been toying with my macros since going into maintainance
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Oh, and op, I sometimes eat fish, but otherwise I am a veggie too. I shy away from the term "pescetarian" because I'm pretty limited in the fish I will eat, and the frequency of which I will eat it. I prefer vegetarian "plus", but that's just me.
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian with PCOS and insulin resistance and I managed to lose almost 50 pounds without eating meat again. I saw my endocrinologist after I'd lost around 30 pounds and she was so happy with my fasting blood sugar results that I was allowed to stop taking Metformin. I have my carb goal set to 100grams but honestly now that I'm in maintenance, it's usually ends up closer to 150grams. It is that little bit harder as a vegetarian since a lot of the mock meats which are good for adding protein also have carbs, unlike meat. I used to never really eat eggs though and now I eat at least one a day. There are a few other things I know I could swap out (I still eat ice cream almost every day...) but I don't want to restrict myself too much and end up going on a binge/gaining all the weight back. It's all about finding a happy medium :)