what time do you work out and what time should you?

Options
Hey I work out in the morning before I eat. But i feel really queasy afterwords, so i want to know what time do you guys work out? For those who have school and college what how do you guys fit in time?

Replies

• mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I work out on my lunch break at work before I eat. If I workout at home it would be when I get home before I eat dinner. I am not a morning person so I'm not even going to lie and try to say I get up before work. On the weekends, however, I do workout after I get up and before I eat. Either way, at least for me, I cannot eat before I workout.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I work out starting anywhere between 4:45 and 5:00 am most days. My alarm goes off at 4:15, but I'm rarely up and at 'em at that time. I do not typically eat first, and that works for me, but I know it isn't for everyone. I don't have school, but I do have two kids, and I work full time. Getting my workout "out of the way" first thing is what keeps me consistent.
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My workouts are all over the place because of my work shifts, just do it whenever it fits into your life. Some days, I work out between 10-11am, today it was 5.30pm and tomorrow I'm going for a run after work/meeting at 4pm.
  • Colliex3
    Colliex3 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I work out at night after I've eaten and gone for a walk... Everyones different, im not a morning person so mornings are no good for me
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i work out first thing when i wake up, gets the blood flowing and honestly, if i wait till later i just start to dread it for some reason even though i actually enjoy it now

if its not done by 1pm, its not going to happen for me

i think you should do it whenever you know you will actually do it!
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Slightly pathetic, but I schedule my workouts around Dr Phil and class...I'm a grad student, but I make that extra hour.
  • jujunnaichi
    Options
    Currently, I'm working out as soon as I get home from work about 5:30 PM then eat right after.

When I was experimenting with fasted training, I used to get up at 4:00 AM to workout before I eat my first meal of the day. I go to work soon after.

In the past, I have worked out at different times of days: early and mid morning, noon, afternoon, evenings. It all depends on what is currently going on with my life at the time.

They key is flexibility and willingness to adapt.
  • smmundy
    smmundy Posts: 12
    Options
    I have just started back up with exercising and I am a stay at home mom to a breastfeeding 8 month old. I have no time to hit the gym during the day and my daughter is still up through the night so early am is a no go for me. What has been working is hitting the gym before dinner after my hubs gets home. On the weekends I work out in the morning before breakfast.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    In the morning, before work. If I don't, it's so easy to blow it off later. Especially with the weather finally warming up. A lot of my exercising is running outside, so by the late afternoon, it's more fun to play in the back yard with the kids than worry about squeezing in a run. Though sometimes I will get a "bonus workout" and either take them on a bicycle ride or we all go out and take the dog on a walk.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I get up an hour earlier (around 5am) and workout. It makes me feel great when I workout in the morning. I am totally not a morning person either, but I am making myself one. You can make yourself do just about anything :). Also, I try to walk around at lunch time if I have time. After work I will do some yoga, or another exercise. I do a lot of low impact workouts for a long period of time it seems. I just like being active. I am busy, but I find time. Getting up earlier definitely helps.

If I don’t eat in the morning, I feel a bit nauseated as well. I try to eat a small cup of cereal or yogurt beforehand.
  • MooseKnuckle5
    Options
    Monday: 5 AM
    Tuesday: 5 AM and 10:30 AM
    Wednesday: 5 AM
    Thursday: 5 AM and 10:30 AM
    Friday: 5 AM
    Saturday: 8 AM (or a little later if I magically sleep in)
    Sunday: Rest Day
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I work FT and go to school FT, so I usually work out whenever I get the time. Right now I'm off school, but still working (at night though). I usually try to get to the gym between 10-11 am. I drink some coffee and usually have a small breakfast before I go. If I don't eat anything (on days I lift weights) then I start feeling dizzy or my vision will start to black out. If I'm only doing cardio I don't have to eat, but I still usually do.

I think the best time to work out is just whenever you have time. What works best for me, may not work at all for you. I like going to the gym mid morning because it's less crowded, plus I like having the rest of my day to do whatever.
  • runsandjumps
    runsandjumps Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I try out different classes usually in the afternoon. I like to change it up instead of always jogging in the morning.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, I tried to schedule my classes in the morning and for the most part, I got out around noon, had some lunch then get a good workout in before my next class later in the afternoon.
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    There's no way I could workout on an empty stomach! I wouldn't have any energy to burn. You should at least have a protein drink or toast with peanut butter or something.

My preferred time of day to w/o is AM because I usually have more energy. My sister prefers the later afternoon. I think you should w/o when you think it's best for your body but I'd definitely have something to burn before you workout. You'll have more stamina and strength.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I should say I was the type of person in college that wanted to go to class early in the morning and get it out of the way so I don't have to worry about not only getting a good workout in but the homework, projects, and tests in my mind.
  • bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options
    Typically morning for running (c25k days) and lifting, and evening for swimming (helps me relax and sleep better). Weekends whenever I want but do get it in. Also weekends usually dedicated to play bball and golf.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do it in the mornings before breakfast bc I feel like do better on an empty stomach. however its getting harder to wake up early enough. so I just workout in the evening around 5 or 6. I have a lunch at noon (include plenty of protein) and a snack around 3 to hold me over.

listen to your body. perhaps having a protein bar or banana would help. its light enough so u can have a bite or two without your stomach feeling full but should have enough fuel for u to not get sick after.
  • hlumpkins10
    Options
    I'm not sure if this has been posted, but from what I've heard it is best to work out in the mornings. One it starts your day off better. Two you are able to burn more calories throughout the day. Three you get it out of the way early. Make sure you eat a little something before you workout though. Working out on an empty stomach isn't good. Hope this helps!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5:00 am. I eat a couple of scrambled egg whites with a tablespoon of cheese (fried with cooking spray in a non-stick pan) and half of a banana before I go, then eat breakfast after.