Do you eat any foods as long as it's in your calorie limit

Options

Replies

• paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want so long as I reach my calorie goal. I'm trying to make it fit my macros, but I always overstate carbs and never hit protein.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I made it seem like I purposely eat more carbs than protein, sorry! I meant I end up eating morecsrcarbs than recommended and never hit my protein goals, which should obviously change sooner or later (or now haha). But basically, the calories are what I focus if I'm losing weight.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I see food as fuel. It is my friend and I enjoy it. Ithink I eat well and the food I eat fits my macros, pretty much. I eat foods on any part of the colour spectrum and love basmati rice. As previous posters have said it is calories in v calories out with plenty of water, which I need to work on.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've cut out a number of things.

* breaded/deep fried anything (switched to baked/grilled)
    * creams and sauces (switched to spices)
    * packaged foods that have 20+ ingredients on the label
    * most, but not all, sweets (switched to small pieces of 72% dark chocolate)
    * beverages with sugar (that includes fruit juices, pop and wine)

Basically, any one item that's crazy high in calories.

Once in a while, I might indulge in one of these but I'll avoid them as often as I can.

When I started eating this way, I stopped having an acid stomach. I haven't had an antacid tablet since early January. I used to pop those things like M&Ms.

does that come with a side of misery?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I eat what I like. I've recently switched around my macros a bit. I've upped my fat intake a bit, so I'll answer by saying that I pay attention to hitting my protein and fat macros, letting the carbs fall where they may and then add whatever I want. I eat food I like and tend to like food most people would consider healthy and I like ice cream too. There's room in my day for nutrient dense foods and ice cream if I plan carefully.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Once in a while, I might indulge in one of these but I'll avoid them as often as I can.

When I started eating this way, I stopped having an acid stomach. I haven't had an antacid tablet since early January. I used to pop those things like M&Ms.

Quite the opposite, I couldn't be happier. Why would you say that?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    Short answer: yes
    Long answer: NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

I make sure to hit my protein macro for the day, but other than that, if it fits my macros, I EATS IT.

You I like!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

laughter.gif
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I don't eat whatever I want as long as it fits my calories. I decided to lose the weight for my health, and eating nutritious food (along with doing exercise and not smoking etc.) is as much a part of looking after my health as losing the weight is.

I focus on fresh vegetables, some fruit, bit of meat, more fish, variety of nuts and seeds, whole grain carbs, lots of different types of fats, but mainly a huge variety of everything and practically all home-cooked and delicious.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat what I want - but since I am a volume eater it tends to be healthier things anyway. A giant plate of stirfry is similar to a large cookie, but I know which fills me up for longer. I don't really know much about macros, but I fill my diet with lots of veg and chicken. I try to avoid having too many carbs because it's so easy to overdo them, but I'll have wholewheat pasta or brown rice reasonably regularly.
    I do have days where I eat absolute ****, like yesterday (went around my parents' and oh god the carbs), but I don't worry about it too much, it's not every day.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't eat whatever I want as long as it fits my calories. I decided to lose the weight for my health, and eating nutritious food (along with doing exercise and not smoking etc.) is as much a part of looking after my health as losing the weight is.

I focus on fresh vegetables, some fruit, bit of meat, more fish, variety of nuts and seeds, whole grain carbs, lots of different types of fats, but mainly a huge variety of everything and practically all home-cooked and delicious.

Here's a bit of the issue with some of this.

most people who IIFYM on this site- and who are in phenomenal shape- they typically eat a large variety of "clean" foods- they eat a lot of lean meats and veggies.

They just don't make a huge case about it (i'm not saying you are here either) but most of us- we eat like this as well.
    We just eat a large variety INCLUDING all the other things- and fill the rest of our food with other delicious things.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »
    I pretty much eat what I want - but since I am a volume eater it tends to be healthier things anyway. A giant plate of stirfry is similar to a large cookie, but I know which fills me up for longer.

Do you mean similar calories? That would have to be one heck of a coookie!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I have only been a member for a couple of weeks but am struggling to find likeminded people. Most diaries I look at are attrotious! Not all calories have the same nutritional value. You can eat your allowance in *kitten* food and from what I see a lot of people do that.

I was thinking the same thing, but I probably would have just thought it, not wrote it. People have commented that she is judging. But, if she is looking for likeminded people, she has to "judge" in order to discriminate in her search. Judging is functional in surrounding ourselves with who we want.

We all judge. But I guess advertising that you're judging puts a bulls-eye on your back.

A blanket claim that most people here eat poorly (although she used stronger language) without specifying what is meant by that (again, I eat red meat usually, does that mean I eat poorly? I eat larger fish and potatoes and dairy, some would criticize that too) is a problem, because we can't discuss the merits of the judgment, IMO. Also, judging others while not being an open book yourself is awfully easy. I have certain standards I try to eat according to, but I also have an open diary so it's easy to see that I'm far from perfect (and I don't try for perfection either).

That (bolded) is not what the poster who said "Most diaries I look at are attrotious! " did though.

"Most diaries I look at " =/= "Most diaries on the site"
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Your first sentence sort of implies that people who are saying they fit in what they like after they hit their macros aren't eating for their health.

That's not true.

With the exception of the meat and fish (I'm a vegetarian), I could say the same things about my overall diet that you've said about yours. Except I also have ice cream. Scope my diary if you like. The thing is, I'm not unique. Look at the diaries of some of the other posters here who say they eat what they like.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »
    I pretty much eat what I want - but since I am a volume eater it tends to be healthier things anyway. A giant plate of stirfry is similar to a large cookie, but I know which fills me up for longer.

Do you mean similar calories? That would have to be one heck of a coookie!

Or one sad, sad stir fry.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    No I would not eat any food even if it was within my calorie allowance.

broadbeans.jpg

Just - hell no
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

so those of us that do eat what we want to eat and hit your calorie/macro/micro targets are not "healthy", because ice cream and stuff???
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Here's a bit of the issue with some of this.

most people who IIFYM on this site- and who are in phenomenal shape- they typically eat a large variety of "clean" foods- they eat a lot of lean meats and veggies.

They just don't make a huge case about it (i'm not saying you are here either) but most of us- we eat like this as well.
    We just eat a large variety INCLUDING all the other things- and fill the rest of our food with other delicious things.

In reading through the comments on this thread I'm thinking that a lot of it comes down to different ways of thinking about it.

I eat what I want, but I've trained myself so that what I want is mostly nutrient dense foods with some ice cream or cheese or other higher calorie options in moderation.

So when someone says "do you eat whatever you want" that's what I mean (although I also have specific focuses like getting protein and veggies). I get the sense that some are understanding the question differently.

I see no reason to cut out foods, but not cutting them out doesn't necessarily mean that I eat them any more often than most of those who have cut them out, depending on what it is.

On the other hand, the OP mentioned pasta and rice, and I really see no reason that someone who likes those foods and wants to eat them should cut them out. Watch serving sizes, sure.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I have only been a member for a couple of weeks but am struggling to find likeminded people. Most diaries I look at are attrotious! Not all calories have the same nutritional value. You can eat your allowance in *kitten* food and from what I see a lot of people do that.

I was thinking the same thing, but I probably would have just thought it, not wrote it. People have commented that she is judging. But, if she is looking for likeminded people, she has to "judge" in order to discriminate in her search. Judging is functional in surrounding ourselves with who we want.

We all judge. But I guess advertising that you're judging puts a bulls-eye on your back.

A blanket claim that most people here eat poorly (although she used stronger language) without specifying what is meant by that (again, I eat red meat usually, does that mean I eat poorly? I eat larger fish and potatoes and dairy, some would criticize that too) is a problem, because we can't discuss the merits of the judgment, IMO. Also, judging others while not being an open book yourself is awfully easy. I have certain standards I try to eat according to, but I also have an open diary so it's easy to see that I'm far from perfect (and I don't try for perfection either).

That (bolded) is not what the poster who said "Most diaries I look at are attrotious! " did though.

"Most diaries I look at " =/= "Most diaries on the site"

Fair enough. She seemed to be claiming that her survey was somehow representative to me, but perhaps I misunderstood.
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2015
    Options

To follow up my comment on Jo's post, I agree with all this except (perhaps) for the very first sentence.

And to me that's eating what I want. There's nothing inconsistent with (1) avoiding arbitrary rules about "no rice ever," and (2) focusing on eating a nutritious diet made up of delicious foods.