Alcohol=lose weight?

I thought drinking a lot of alcohol tended to make you gain weight but every time I go drink I actually lose weight. I eat a little less when I go out but other than that I don't do anything different. Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me??

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Alcohol dehydrates you. It is not uncommon to drop weight after drinking alcohol. It is just water weight.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Are you staying within a deficit?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    I can lose up to a kilo after a big night out, it's pure dehydration.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    I can lose up to a kilo after a big night out, it's pure dehydration.

Yep
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited March 2015
    Yep, dehydration. A single shot of vodka and you're up a hundred cal. Casual drinkers, and of course, the bingers are pretty much destined for a life of guttiness.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    I lost weight one summer while being drunk most of that time. did not track calories or work out all that much. I lost because when I drink I tend to preemptively eat much less food during the day so as to enhance my drunken state, and then the next day I'm too hungover to eat much.

Not a healthy way to lose weight. But drinking while losing weight is fine.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Casual drinkers, and of course, the bingers are pretty much destined for a life of guttiness.

Not true. I am losing and still drink alcohol. I just make sure I do with alcohol what I do with everything else - Keep it in my calorie allowance.

I an undeniably a binge drinker. I drink once a week and go way over what I probably should. I'm not suggesting this a good plan and certainly I need to cut it out for my health, but it's perfectly possible to lose weight while doing it.

OP, if you are noticing a loss the day after drinking it is probably dehydration.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Yep, dehydration. A single shot of vodka and you're up a hundred cal. Casual drinkers, and of course, the bingers are pretty much destined for a life of guttiness.

A one ounce shot of vodka is around 65-70 calories. Not exactly a calorie bomb.
    I would classify myself as a casual drinker and have never really had a gut.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    From the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_glass "There is no standard size for a single shot, except in Utah, where a shot is defined at 1.5 fl. oz.[14] Elsewhere in the U.S., the standard size is generally considered to be 1.25–1.5 fl. oz."

So, a shot could contain anywhere between 65 and 110 calories, or so.

But, yes, dehydration is a primary cause of good news from the scale after a night of drinks. It is false, as far as good news goes. The water weight will be back as soon as you rehydrate.
  • 3dogsrunning
    From the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_glass "There is no standard size for a single shot, except in Utah, where a shot is defined at 1.5 fl. oz.[14] Elsewhere in the U.S., the standard size is generally considered to be 1.25–1.5 fl. oz."

So, a shot could contain anywhere between 65 and 110 calories, or so.

But, yes, dehydration is a primary cause of good news from the scale after a night of drinks. It is false, as far as good news goes. The water weight will be back as soon as you rehydrate.

Where I am the standard shot is 1 ounce which is why I went with that.
  • ana3067

A one ounce shot of vodka is around 65-70 calories. Not exactly a calorie bomb.
    I would classify myself as a casual drinker and have never really had a gut.
    yup, my uncle drinks a ridiculous amount of beer and he's super skinny.

Alcohol doesn't defy CICO.
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    This has nothing to do with the topic, just curious as to why I've been seeing so many posts with the bars and keyhole in front of them
  • 3dogsrunning
    This has nothing to do with the topic, just curious as to why I've been seeing so many posts with the bars and keyhole in front of them

LOL. If you are on the mobile site the bar and keyhole appears across the whole post. On the desktop version they only appear over the person's avatar. It is a new thing with the warning system. I'm not sure exactly how it works but the person has gotten reports or warnings. They appear behind bars but can still post. I think they are limited in timing between posts as well.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member

incognito
  • ana3067

People who are barred are not allowed to talk about why they are barred or they will get banned/in more trouble. Or so I've heard............. shh.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »

People who are barred are not allowed to talk about why they are barred or they will get banned/in more trouble. Or so I've heard............. shh.

It drives me crazy not being able to see it Haha. :angry:
  • 3dogsrunning

It drives me crazy not being able to see it Haha. :angry:

I know the feeling. If someone quotes them you can see.
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Along with dehydration if you made room food alcohol by cutting food in order to stay in a caloric then you would also have less food in your GI track than normal that is breaking down.
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

incognito
    That's right I am.

There you go (on my laptop, usually I'm on my phone).
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    LOL! The jail bars ARE pretty amusing.

And I've lost 45 lbs while being a casual drinker, so i doubt I'm doomed to a lifetime of guttiness. :confounded:

I only take pictures of myself when I'm in a bar, otherwise I'd never have any pics of myself. XP
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member

The first rule of Jail Club issss....
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    kdubz14 wrote: »
    I thought drinking a lot of alcohol tended to make you gain weight but every time I go drink I actually lose weight. I eat a little less when I go out but other than that I don't do anything different. Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me??

Alcohol is a large calorie source so it's not going to help you lose weight other than dehydrating you which will show up in lost water weight. My Saturday morning weigh-ins are usually my lowest result for the week due to the bazillion beers I drink Friday night. I then see an increase on Sunday and Monday as I re-hydrate.