Gain weight on low FODMAP diet

Options
My 13 yr old daughter has been suffering with IBS for the last 7 months. Incredible pain. She lost 5lbs through this ordeal. After cutting out dairy, gluten and grains we are having many, many more good days than bad now. Adding grains back and minimal carbs. But at 5'1" we should weigh more than 86lbs. Hope to gain at least 10, but will be happy to get the 5 she lost back.

How???? Using this ap and working with a nutritionist but I am not patient. How do I keep her on low FODMAP and help we gain weight? Keeping down the sugar and complex carbs is the challenge here.

Replies

• kevannon
    kevannon Posts: 2
    Options
    kevannon wrote: »
    My 13 yr old daughter has been suffering with IBS for the last 7 months. Incredible pain. She lost 5lbs through this ordeal. After cutting out dairy and grains (by process of elimination) we are having many, many more good days than bad now. Adding grains that are gluten free. But still -- at 5'1" she should weigh more than 86lbs. Hope to gain at least 10lbs, but will be happy to get the 5 she lost back.

How???? Using this ap and working with a nutritionist, but I am not patient. How do I keep her on low FODMAP and help we gain weight? Keeping down the sugar and complex carbs is the challenge here.

Suggestions on foods that will help. She loves coconut milk ice cream but it isn't enough. She takes in about 1200 calories a day. She has an appetite. Just not getting the calories I guess.
    kevannon wrote: »
    My 13 yr old daughter has been suffering with IBS for the last 7 months. Incredible pain. She lost 5lbs through this ordeal. After cutting out dairy and carbs (by process of elimination) we are having many, many more good days than bad now. But at 5'1" we should weight more than 86lbs. Hope to gain at least 10lbs, but will be happy to get the 5 she lost back.

How???? Using this ap and working with a nutritionist, but I am not patient. How do I keep her on low FODMAP and help we gain weight? Keeping down the sugar and complex carbs is the challenge here.

Suggestions on foods that will help. She loves coconut milk ice cream but it isn't enough. She takes in about 1200 calories a day. She has an appetite. Just not getting the calories I guess.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There are a few different lists that have minor variations so forgive me if not all of these are allowed by her nutritionist:

Potatoes, olives, pork, fattier cuts of beef/chicken, salmon, nuts/peanut butter, olive oil, real maple syrup, pesto (I might make gnocchi with pesto-- that's got to be good for a few hundred calories)

Those are the foods that jumped out as being higher calorie, excluding the dairy ones like butter. Have you talked with the nutritionist about your concerns regarding time line?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Can her doctor refer you to a dietician? That'd be your best bet.

I have no knowledge of the FODMAP diet so I can't really recommend any specific foods. However, more of the same should help her gain. Just make bigger or more frequent portions of the things she can eat. If you can increase calories in this way till she has, say, a 250 surplus she should gain 0.5 lb a week (500 for 1 lb etc.)

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Potatoes and white rice are both foods that should give her some calories. Especially if she has anything on them. Can she do dairy at all? Cheddar cheese is on the okay list and added to a potato could give her a nice calorie boost. I'm on a low FODMAP diet for the same reason but I seem to have no problem getting my calories in! :D
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    drench everything in oil and get fatty cuts of meat, sirloin steak, salmon, shoulder of lamb, roast chicken.
    avocadoes, nut butter, coconut!
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    If you are already working with a nutritionist, I can't see why you should listen to random strangers on internet. So discuss with him your concerns, and if you aren't satisfied, search another professional to work with.
  • Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Consult your nutritionist. The only other advice I can give from personal experience is to drink a protein shake daily. If your daughter can't have dairy then mix the protein shake with almond, rice, oat or soy milk (soy is not ideal but it works), or mix it with soups or smoothies.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Nakeshia88 wrote: »
    Consult your nutritionist. The only other advice I can give from personal experience is to drink a protein shake daily. If your daughter can't have dairy then mix the protein shake with almond, rice, oat or soy milk (soy is not ideal but it works), or mix it with soups or smoothies.

I assume you are talking about a soy, rice or pea protein and not whey protein powder.
  • Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Nakeshia88 wrote: »

I assume you are talking about a soy, rice or pea protein and not whey protein powder.

Indeed.