Getting in to a fitness flow!

Options
Hello!!

So I'm new to the gym scene, and I honestly have no idea what I'm doing, haha! I am fairly obese and would like to get in to a good workout routine but I have no idea where to start. I go to the gym 5-6 times a week and mainly do cardio, but I would like to get more into sectioning off days into legs, arms and such.

Any suggestions or advice on where to begin?

Thank you so much!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Body part splits are more for advanced lifters, especially bodybuilders. It's better to start with a full body workout done every 2-3 days. The cardio would commonly be done on non-lifting days, but you may add a short cardio session after your lifting. Popular strength programs here include NROL4W and Stronglifts. Or hire a good personal trainer. There's also a routine in my profile.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Jefit is a free app that offers free workout routines tailored for all types of gymgoers, including beginners. Check it out :)

I second NROL4W. I started with it and love it.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you’re really concerned about this, I’d recommend getting a trainer. Let the trainer know what your goals are and then work with them until you’re comfortable with your lifting form.
  • gummyy_bear_ninja
    Options
    I'm not too big on going to a gym (I'd rather stay at home and work out) BUT I do have some tips that might help (: 1) try T25 its a great full body work out that has exceptional results! 2) when you get to seperate body part work outs, I'd make sure leg day is the day before I'm going to be staying home (Saturdays is that day for me so I'd do legs on Fridays) that way you don't have to climb stairs (and fall if you're clumbsy like me) 3) cardio is great but eventually you gotta add some other work outs or your body will get used to it and you won't see results! So at the gym you could work on arms, abs, and legs with some machines instead of weights! I used to go to "work out any time" and they always had a trainer there so if I had a question they could help me. If thats not the case where you work out, ask someone who might be switching to another machine (don't ask when they are using it or getting water that could seem annoying to them) and I'm sure they will help!

That's all I have. Hope it slightly helps!