Dating Rules

Options

Replies

• legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Haha so the consensus is that the only rule is to have no rules! I guess I was thinking more about habits. I understand the whole go with the flow thing, I just have heard others (outside of MFP) share some of their do's and dont's.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My how things have changed since I was single...
  • legnarevocrednu
    Options
    Do any of you have/had rules regarding dates, or a dating relationship? I.e. texting, appropriate time to date before expecting something official, etc. Curious and maybe I can steal some. I have a tendency to overtext and send long text messages (I'm an English major so could write a book lol) and I'm trying sooo hard to stop. One of the reasons I left my phone at home actually! :blushing:

Wouldn't you use e.g. in this instance?
    Maybe I should have specified. I'm an ENGLISH LITERATURE MAJOR. My focus was on literature. My grammar is less than perfect. Thanks though! I'm sure you are right! :wink:
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    My how things have changed since I was single...

Yea, kids all over these lawns and stuff.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If a girl eats more than me at the restaurant I'll propose
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    main rule is be yourself .... unless you are some crazed nut job who has a star wars fetish ... if that is the case them be someone else. :tongue:

Really just be yourself. If you don't fool around until the 4(ish) date, be that person.if you over text, be that person. I say that because I am at the age where I do not like finding out on the 7th date that the person is a nut bag. save everyone, including your self, from that.
  • legnarevocrednu
    Options
    Okay so I'm bored at work, and purposely left my phone at home today. I need entertainment! Anyways, I'm new to the dating scene (last year or so) and really the only rule I have is regarding sexual relations. The earliest it would happen is the 4th date (and that's if I'm feelin it). Do any of you have/had rules regarding dates, or a dating relationship? I.e. texting, appropriate time to date before expecting something official, etc. Curious and maybe I can steal some. I have a tendency to overtext and send long text messages (I'm an English major so could write a book lol) and I'm trying sooo hard to stop. One of the reasons I left my phone at home actually! :blushing:
    Why did you purposely leave your phone at home today?
    I was out with some friends last night who pointed out that I'm overly dependent on my phone. So I decided to give myself a little break.
  • xprplstardust
    xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm not into "rules," per se, but there are definitely things that will happen (or not happen) that will suggest how compatible we are. I would never make a list because then I'm basically creating a test for him to pass or fail. I just want to get to know who he is. It shouldn't be a test. You either find each other attractive and enjoy each other's company, or you don't.

^ this. i'm new to dating too. only been dating for the past 1.5 years & i am 28. the only rule i have is i don't "put out" until he becomes my boyfriend.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't like rules. Just be yourself and be open/honest - better that IMO and have a few people not like it, than someone like you for who you're not. Because at the end of it, if something comes out of those dates, they're going to see the true you anyway :)
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Rule #1
    Don't date girls who have lists of rules and a list of everything they want in a 'perfect' man.
  • lanajaymurphy
    Options

You'll be surprised how quick you get hitched then.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options

And probably broke shortly after.
  • JohnMatrix
    JohnMatrix Posts: 59
    Options
    AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! So true!
  • mamas0811
    mamas0811 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have been married for 26 years. My opinion? Go fishing. Thats the only rule.

Lol...
    Married for 5.5 years, im 24 ... my husand is the only one i have ever dated and had "relations" with .. Lol.. Agree^^ :wink:

Im bored at work too, which is why im on all the post. lol
  • lanajaymurphy
    Options

And probably broke shortly after.

hahahahaha
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    no rules anything goes
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Rule #1
    Don't date girls who have lists of rules and a list of everything they want in a 'perfect' man.
    This
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Scared to ever enter the dating world :sad:
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options

LMAO!
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    A local radio station actually asked this during their afternoon talk show. It's an all-male show in the afternoon, but I've been listening for a while and they are funny, manly-men, but not terribly sexist. They all said basically that if they were over 30, and certainly over 40, and back in the dating scene that they would "expect" their date to "put out" by the 2nd date.

Now, I'm over 40, and NOT very prude (I work in women's healthcare, so sex pretty much pays my bills), but even *I* was a little taken aback by that. I won't say I wouldn't sleep with someone on the first date (assuming I was single) but to think that normal men "expect" it by the 2nd date is a little much, IMHO. But whatever, their loss. ;)