Cooking Tips

Options
LuckyMe2017
LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
What have you learned about cooking that you wish you knew years ago?
For instance, I grew up in the south where collards are cooked for two hours. I never knew I could get by with 20 minutes til I got married.
I have realized that many things can be cooked very quickly.
Please share how you've tweaked recipes, changed cooking or preparation methods, etc.

Replies

• DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Wow, I hardly know where to begin because I knew next to nothing about cooking when I got married 25 years ago. Now I cook most of the time (we rarely eat out) and love it. I guess as it pertains to my weight loss goals, I've learned a lot about how to tweak recipes to make them healthier. I've also learned that going "fat free" is not the way to go most of the time. It is the fat in foods that keep us satiated (feeling full) and satisfied. It is all about the kind of fats we choose - for example, as much as I love cheese, I'll give up a slice of cheese on my burger if that means I get a slice of avocado. I've also gone back to using butter - just smaller amounts - and leave the "low fat" versions on the shelf. I will take flavor over volume now. I do use low fat (not fat free) mayo, cream cheese, and sour cream though because I've found products that taste really close to the full fat versions.
    -
    Portion control is another thing I've learned the hard way. I used to pile on the rice, the potatoes, the pasta, the bread. Now I use smaller portions of those things to make more room for lean meats and veggies.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    Wow, I hardly know where to begin because I knew next to nothing about cooking when I got married 25 years ago. Now I cook most of the time (we rarely eat out) and love it. I guess as it pertains to my weight loss goals, I've learned a lot about how to tweak recipes to make them healthier. I've also learned that going "fat free" is not the way to go most of the time. It is the fat in foods that keep us satiated (feeling full) and satisfied. It is all about the kind of fats we choose - for example, as much as I love cheese, I'll give up a slice of cheese on my burger if that means I get a slice of avocado. I've also gone back to using butter - just smaller amounts - and leave the "low fat" versions on the shelf. I will take flavor over volume now. I do use low fat (not fat free) mayo, cream cheese, and sour cream though because I've found products that taste really close to the full fat versions.
    -
    Portion control is another thing I've learned the hard way. I used to pile on the rice, the potatoes, the pasta, the bread. Now I use smaller portions of those things to make more room for lean meats and veggies.

Great sharing. Regarding portions, your post makes me think of a professor who was sharing how she put 2 sticks of butter in her stuffing and macaroni and cheese. I told her I stopped putting butter in my Mac n cheese because the cheese has enough oils already. She was in awe!
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    For Christmas I brought myself a 5 serving family George Forman grill for £30.00 off Amazon. For a single man who is lazy with cooking it has really helped with hitting my protein goals and cooking good/fast/healthy food for myself every day. It's strange how all men become Master Chefs as soon as there is a grill/BBQ around. I think it's the caveman genes.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I've learned that vegetables don't have to be cooked to death! Growing up in a mid-western farm family, all of our vegetables were cooked forever until they were almost mushy and seasoned with copious amounts of fat. I learned from my Italian MIL how to blanch, steam, grill and roast veggies and how to use oils and vinegars for taste. Much healthier, and in my opinion, also much more delicious!
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I learned the my grandmother was a smart lady for using a pressure cooker. They are the bomb ! Especially for a working mom of 3 kids.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, the pressure cooker comment reminded me - my favorite kitchen gadgets! Slow cooker. Make a big meal on the weekend and voila! Lunches for the rest of the week. I also LOVE my immersion blender for making delicious creamy soups. No more transferring batches of hot soup to a blender and back. Just stick your immersion blender in the pot and whir to perfection. B)
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    For Christmas I brought myself a 5 serving family George Forman grill for £30.00 off Amazon. For a single man who is lazy with cooking it has really helped with hitting my protein goals and cooking good/fast/healthy food for myself every day. It's strange how all men become Master Chefs as soon as there is a grill/BBQ around. I think it's the caveman genes.

Funny! I heard they cook quickly. I have a grill but it's not a Forman. I was told Forman is the only way to go.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    I have started broiling a lot lately. It's quick and preserves natural moisture.

I am also a fairly new baker. I am curious about tricks to making deliciously moist baked treats ... for special occasions of course.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I learned that margarine is evil. My mom refused to cook or bake with butter because it was sooooo lethal! She didn't know any better. That was the conventional wisdom in the 60s. Then I left home, began to appreciate and bake with butter...and I guess I loved it a wee bit too much. It became my favorite food group.