Running (Jogging) vs. Walking

Is there any added benefit from jogging vs. plain ole walking? I do a mix of both. I would like to get to the point where i can eventually jog 3 miles straight.

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    From a calorie burn perspective, you can burn off quite a few more calories running vs walking per unit of time
  • Nikstar70
    Nikstar70 Posts: 5 Member
    Running burns more calories than walking but to burn the most calories, try HIIT or high intensity interval training. I do intervals of sprints alternated with walking. I do 100m of sprinting, then walk for 100m and do this for as long as you can or roughly 15-20mins. Get the heart rate up fast and doesn't waste muscle like long steady state runs do.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Nikstar70 wrote: »
    Running burns more calories than walking but to burn the most calories, try HIIT or high intensity interval training. I do intervals of sprints alternated with walking. I do 100m of sprinting, then walk for 100m and do this for as long as you can or roughly 15-20mins. Get the heart rate up fast and doesn't waste muscle like long steady state runs do.

Okay. First of all, you do not want to go from only walking, to sprint intervals. That is a quick route to injury. Second, it is true that intense intervals burn more calories over a shorter period of time than steady-state cardio. However, because you can hold steady state cardio for a MUCH longer time, the two are basically a wash as far as overall calorie burning is concerned. (The "afterburn" effects of HIIT are *drastically* overstated.) Third, what is this about "wasted" muscle? The only way long, steady-state cardio burns muscle is if you don't eat enough calories and your body catabolizes your muscle instead of glycogen and fat for fuel. Eat protein and do some resistance training.

--

OP, jogging or running (same diff! you don't have to be fast to "run") have a few benefits over walking. Elevated heart rate is one, calorie burning efficiency, and also--at least for me--it generates endorphins and acts as a real antidepressant. Walking simply does not have the same mood effects. At least for me.

But walking is fantastic exercise, especially for people with joint problems, excess weight, or other things that make the repetitive impact of pounding your feet in running an extra danger.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Running comes with many physiological advantages, and of course burns a lot more calories (which may or may not be an advantage, depending on goals).
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    They're both fine exercise modalities.

Pick one you enjoy, fits into your schedule and you will do regularly enough to derive the benefit from and continue to improve at.

Walking IS NOT an inferior or slower form of running, it is it's own thing.

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    jimmmer wrote: »
    They're both fine exercise modalities.

Pick one you enjoy, fits into your schedule and you will do regularly enough to derive the benefit from and continue to improve at.

Walking IS NOT an inferior or slower form of running, it is it's own thing.

+1
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Walking doesn't burn as many calories but I don't think it's inferior in any way. It's still activity and you're still moving your body. I walk because I have a foot problem. The high impact of running hurts my foot and I don't want to injure it further. I know I should see a foot dr.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    doesn't waste muscle like long steady state runs do.

Running doesn't waste muscle poor nutrition does
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited March 2015

Yeah. I'm going to have to say no.

In the summer I like to go for some long runs. I've never lost an ounce of muscle.

Just eat more to account for the activity.

ETA: just seen that I was beaten to it...
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    For me, I started out walking. As I went along, I increased the intensity with speed and incline, but I did reach a point where I couldn't commit the time I needed to get the calorie burn I wanted. So, I started running. I burn more calories in less time. Along with other things people have mentioned, running also helps increase your bone density.

Walking is a fine exercise if you have the time to commit to it. Running is a fine exercise too. They both have advantages and disadvantages.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Whatever gets you up and moving is the best exercise for you. Some people enjoy running and some people don't. If you don't enjoy it, you aren't likely to stick with it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    If you go walk a mile or 2 it's a good form of exercise. When you get into jogging at different paces and sprinting, you're really getting into training the different energy systems (aerobic / anaerobic). If you're into a team sport like soccer or something you'll want to build a strong anaerobic base or if you're a marathon runner then you obviously need a strong aerobic base. If you're just trying to stay healthy, walking every day is good.
  • cdcruizer05
    cdcruizer05 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Guys you rock, thanks for the awesome input. I think i will continue to walk and jog, incrementally increasing my distances for jogging. I actually enjoy jogging more! I am glad i'm actually at point where i can now.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    edited March 2015
    I tried to run 6 miles this morning but had to get a ride home because all my muscle wasted away in the first 3 miles and I couldn't walk anymore.
  • cdcruizer05
    cdcruizer05 Posts: 1,006 Member
    scottb81 wrote: »
    I tried to run 6 miles this morning but had to get a ride home because all my muscle wasted away in the first 3 miles and I couldn't walk anymore.

How long had you been running before, you tried to run these 6 miles? Like did you just start running as of late?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    scottb81 wrote: »

How long had you been running before, you tried to run these 6 miles? Like did you just start running as of late?

Scott is pulling your leg.......he is probably one of the most accomplished runners on this site and was being sarcastic. (we need a sarcasm font)

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member

I love the smell of broscience in the morning!

• LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Guys you rock, thanks for the awesome input. I think i will continue to walk and jog, incrementally increasing my distances for jogging. I actually enjoy jogging more! I am glad i'm actually at point where i can now.

Awesome! Congrats on reaching the running (I detest the word jogging) stage :smiley: As someone who's been doing a walk / run thing for quite awhile trying to get up to speed to do some distance races I did want to offer one warning if you get interested in doing the same thing. I focused for a long time on increasing my pace and distance - and so while I ran more each week, it was still about the same ratio of walking to running because of the increased distance. Long story short, I ended up being able to make the times I wanted - but only because I'd inadvertently taught myself how to speed-walk (which uses different techniques and muscles than running). Whoops! So this season, I'm having to focus on doing much, much shorter distances - but working on those till I can run the whole way before I try increasing back to the 6 to 8 miles I was doing. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    If you want to be a runner then running is better than walking. From an energy expenditure standpoint, you're going to burn more calories running than walking. From a time standpoint, running is more efficient. From an enjoyment standpoint, I prefer walking.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    doesn't waste muscle like long steady state runs do.

Running doesn't waste muscle poor nutrition does

This. I run thousands of miles a year, I ride thousands of miles a year, I swim hundreds of thousands of yards a year. I lift nothing heavier than a beer glass.

Yet, my quads don't fit into most jeans that fit my waist, and nobody would call me "scrawny" although I am very lean.