Metformin: Useful or pointless?

Options
My doctor has me on metformin to help with the weight loss. I was pretty against it at first. But he pushed it a bit so I figured giving it a shot wasn't a bad idea at least. Metformin is typically for diabetics to help their cells better respond to insulin, I guess this also tends to help to prevent fat from being stored and removes triglycerides from the blood, which mine are high regardless of the rest of my panels being perfect (and I mean, perfect). I do notice I don't get blood sugar crashes anymore when I forget to eat (my bipolar meds suppress appetite, so foods out of mind). And maybe it's helping a bit.
But does it really do anything? Or is this just another pill for profit?

Replies

• SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    if it's helping you loose weight then it's working. :smile:
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    if it's helping you loose weight then it's working. :smile:
    I haven't been able to tell if it has or hasn't yet. If anything, it's helping me from gaining. But I don't have a scale at home so I can't keep a weekly (or daily and get the average) on my own.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think if if helps you, then there's nothing wrong with being on the Metformin. If you don't mind my asking, what do you take for your bipolar disorder? I'm bipolar myself and take Lithium and Paxil.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Looks like possibly an "off-label" use. I always like to read all the possible side effects and interactions to keep an eye on some doctors who toss meds. like candies.

http://www.drugs.com/metformin.html
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    Options
    I think if if helps you, then there's nothing wrong with being on the Metformin. If you don't mind my asking, what do you take for your bipolar disorder? I'm bipolar myself and take Lithium and Paxil.

I was on paxil and found out I was allergic. Plus the half-life is awful. An old doc put me on Effexor, which has been helping but not ending the cycling (rapid cycler, mixed episodes, type 2 BP) so she's pushing me to talk to my doctor about getting on a mood stablizer like lithium. How's the lithium working? That's the one I'd prefer to be on since it's more natural.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    Looks like possibly an "off-label" use. I always like to read all the possible side effects and interactions to keep an eye on some doctors who toss meds. like candies.

http://www.drugs.com/metformin.html

It's the first thing he's tossed at me that wasn't needed. Everything else has been for infections.

• doglover2015
    Options
    Metformin has never helped me lose weight. I was put on it several years ago because I have diabetes type 2.It has definitely helped my diabetes.About 3 years ago my A1C test was 7.6 which is really high.Last month my A1C was down to 5.8 which is really considered pre diabetic. I have lost weight mostly on Weight Watchers in the last 2 months.The loss has been slow but I have now lost 61 lbs and not only is my diabetes under control,so is my blood pressure,bad & good cholesterol and triglicerides. My NP is extremely happy both with my test results and my weight loss. I have just now cut down on my carbs and that has kick started me out of a 2 week maintenance.I do wish it would help me lose weight but my problem is I have a twisted colon and it has caused severe constipation in me which has made my weight loss so slow. I had read online not too long ago that Metformin can help you lose weight and I was really surprised because it has never helped me in that department but it has really almost cured my diabetes.