Bicycling for weight loss? Type recommends.

Options
So I've thought about starting biking to help lose weight. There are a lot of pretty trails out here and I finally have proper transportation to take a bike somewhere. It's southern Utah, so can be very hot, rocky and lots of hills up/downs/curves.
I don't know what I need, other than a bike and a helmet, to get started.
Any other things I'll need? What sort of bike should I look for?
I'm 6' and 285.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Go to your local bike shop. They will know what kind of bike is best for the paths in your area/that you'll be wanting to ride, in terms of tire width for path surface, gearing (for hills), and so forth. :) They'll also be able to fit you to the right bike size for your height and size, which will make WORLDS of difference in terms of comfort and wanting to get back out there.

Basically any brand from a real bike shop will be awesome. (LBSs tend to be dealers for a couple of brands.) Honestly I would stay away from Wal-Mart, Target, etc bike brands (Kent, Huffy, Next) even if the price is super attractive. Of course, if you're testing it out to see whether you like biking and will stick with it, you could always give a cheapo a go. But you'll probably enjoy yourself more on something that functions. :p

I would also say that a good--and I mean decently expensive--pair of padded bike shorts will really help in terms of comfort. (Don't worry about a full-blown kit, but definitely the shorts). Aerotech Bike Designs sells good plus-size bike merchandise, although I don't know how their sizing runs. (Most bike kit is European sizing so can run VERY small.) It looks like they even have baggy mountain bike shorts if you're more comfortable in those, like a lot of beginners.

Have fun out there!
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I would suggest something in the hybrid/mountain bike family. They are more versatile and designed to be more stable. Hybrids tend to have more of an upright seating posture, and slightly less off-road friendly; mountain bikes are similar but a somewhat more aggressive body position and more suited to off road. There are a lot of "in between bikes" that fall along this spectrum.

Road bikes are much faster, but more difficult to ride and not as versatile. If you haven't been on a bike in a while, they can be a bit scary.

I agree with the tip about the Local Bike Store above. An experienced rider can go test ride a craigslist bike or order online and get something that will work for them. If you're just starting out, you will save money in the end by getting the expert advice, fitting, and service.

One other thing: I started my weight loss and fitness journey on a bicycle and for a while I was extremely resistant to wearing actual bike shorts. Mostly because of excessive body self consciousness and weight shame. Do not make this mistake. There are lots of very good reasons that cyclists wear strange looking clothing. Your bottom will thank you for wearing the appropriate gear. (there are also baggy shorts and skorts made with proper cycling pants on the inside if you absolutely feel you need to cover up)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    To start with, you just need a bike that is properly assembled and in good condition to ride. If you're riding rocky trails, something with knobby tires and maybe front suspension, depending on how much you wanted to spend. I'd second going to a bike shop for advice/recommendations, though their bikes will usually be more expensive than what you'd find at a general sporting good store. However, there is a good reason why they are more expensive. Regardless, I often suggest people go walk/hike the trails once or twice before they buy a bike, to get a feel for what the trails are like. It's good knowledge to have.

As for accessories, all you need is a helmet. I'd also suggest a water bottle and some sturdy shoes (no sandles/flip flops, etc). From there, just go ride a few times and go from there.

If you find you enjoy it and it's something you want to stick with, I'd suggest asking yoru local bike shop if they offer any sort of workshop on basic bike repairs (things like fixing a flat tire, fixing a chain if it falls off the gears, etc). Most good shops will and they aren't usually very long or expensive... but the knowing some basic fixes is hugely helpful.
  • starseedxo
    starseedxo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above about going to your local bike shop. And if the terrain is more bumpy, you may also want to get a pair of padded gloves. You can find them for pretty good prices online, and they'll help prevent your hands from hurting or going numb when riding over bumps.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Shop around at as many local bike shops as you can. Talk to the workers ... get a feel for them because they are great resources for when/where to ride, how to keep your bike in working shape, etc ... check out multiple brands ... and as a beginner, see which shops have used bikes.

The type of trails matters ... are they single track through the deep woods or more improved trails ... the difference changes the scope of which style bikes work, or don't.