How long did it take for you to see a BIG difference?

Options
I was wondering how long it took for you guys to notice a huge change, for example belly fat totally gone and such. I started working out in November of 2014 and never counted calories or anything like that until start of March so I'm guessing due to that I've only lost around 20 pounds since November. The only main differences I've seen in my body is it turned from an out of shape look to a more toned and muscular definition for example my arms and legs are muscular toned and my face has lost all of its chubbiness. Despite those changes I still have a belly, chest fat, love handles etc. So basically I'm just wondering how much do you have to lose to see a HUGE difference in your body. I'm 6'0 and about 179 pounds and I think the ideal weight for my height is around 160 range.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you dont have much to lose, so it will take a long time.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I have lost 40lbs since the start of Jan and see no differences and no one has noticed.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I have lost 40lbs since the start of Jan and see no differences and no one has noticed.

Are you wearing the same clothes or loosely fitting clothes. I lost 10kgs and noone noticed until I wore some better fitting clothes.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50lbs in about 8 months

First 20lbs in the first couple of months meant I was OK in a bikini on holiday .. fabulousness hit around 40lbs

now thanks to weight training I'm just in awesome mode :bigsmile:
  • Neritel
    Neritel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    for me after about 30 lb I think. I think there are several factors to it, my personal no-expert thought on this is that I lost internal fat (around organs) first. The reason I think that is because during the first period of my weight loss I did not grow out of my clothes as quickly and consistently as I did after the first ~ 30 lb. Better fitting clothes (e.g. not wearing clothes that try to hide as much as possible) contribute as well.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I took about 25 pounds till people started to comment on my weight loss. I find that the more I weight, the more pounds it takes to see a significant difference. Now that I'm no longer obese and that I'm in the overweight category I see changes about every 10-15 pounds.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I think around the last few weeks is when I've noticed a big difference and I've had a lot of people tell me how tiny my waist is looking (hourglass figure so my waist is actually getting tiny lol). I started in September and have lost just over 60lbs now. To be fair, I still have a lot to lose, and because of my body type, I carry my weight very evenly over my body so it will take a lot for me to look different because all parts of me are smaller, so it's not like I had only a belly that is gone. All of a sudden though, it just seemed to become very obvious that I had lost a good amount.

I only realised how much I have changed when I put on the same outfit I wore in the picture I took of myself for a "before" picture. I could see a clear difference, and I suspect the more I lose, the quicker it will be to see a difference.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I generally say that in 4 weeks, you can usually notice a difference in the mirror. In 6-8 weeks other people you know might comment you look different. In 6 months, you can look markedly different and need a new wardrobe and in a years time you can look like a completely different person.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    you dont have much to lose, so it will take a long time.
    I completely disagree. In 9 weeks I have dropped 4 clothing sizes. I only had 18 pounds total to lose, and I've lost 12. There is a HUGE change in my body. I am not exercising, only dieting.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    OP, do you go to the gym? If so have them do a body fat test with calipers. You should be in the low teens body fat to have the fat over the stomach, chest and love handles start dissapearing. Not really sure what weight that should be for your height as im much shorter than you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    I think for everyone it's different.

I've lost close to 30 pounds since January (lots more to go!) and I don't SEE a difference. There IS a difference, I've lost 4" (as of last month) in my bust and had to go down top sizes and am down 2 dress sizes, but I don't SEE the difference. Others do. I just take their word for it LOL
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I think that it's different for everyone, too. My upper body shows I have lost fat sooner than my lower body -
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It took about 30lbs for me. But People are different. Some people carry weight more evenly than others, so the change may not be very noticeable. Also, we tend to focus on one area of our body that we don't like and we don't notice change if that area hasn't changed much.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    No one noticed for about 40 pounds for me which got discouraging but I noticed so I kept it up. Keep going though; pretty soon EVERYONE is going to notice.
  • Charliecatesq
    Charliecatesq Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've lost 14lbs and i haven't noticed, some people say my face looks thinner
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It took me about 8 or 9 pounds lost (after 3 to 4 months of counting calories) before I began to see a change. Other people still haven't noticed, and I'm now at 12.4 pounds lost. I have 6 (maybe 11) pounds to go.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on your build and the clothes you wear. I've lost about 20 over the last 6 months, and lots of people are noticing a big difference. The flip side is that I'm really slight and so every extra ounce also shows. (Worst comment award goes to my husband, "I can't believe how fantastic you look after losing only 20 pounds! You honestly looked like you had a hundred to lose!" :s )

If you have broad shoulders, etc, your body will camoflage both weight loss and and weight gain better than if you are very narrow and small boned.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I've lost 72 pounds and I still sometimes find it hard to see a difference. It's a mind/body disconnect. It sucks. I can objectively look at my photos and see changes, but in the mirror - not so much.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    (Worst comment award goes to my husband, "I can't believe how fantastic you look after losing only 20 pounds! You honestly looked like you had a hundred to lose!" :s )

wow........... LOL

mine tells me my butt looks smaller. but coming from him, im pretty sure hes just saying that with hopes of getting laid. LOL!
  • Cando86
    Cando86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was actually pleasantly surprised with how quickly I noticed changes. I started the beginning of Feb and six weeks later I'm down six lbs which isn't a huge amount at all but my frame is smaller so I can definitely see it. I feel more lean and toned (exercising too), my belly fat has significantly decreased and my face looks smaller. Definitely motivation to keep going!