Protein

Options
How many grams of protein should I be having? MFP has set it to 120g protein, 53g fat, 160g carbs and 58g sugar. Is that what I should be on? See stats below:

Height: 5ft 3in
Weight: 120.6lbs

Goals: to lose no more than 3-5lbs more, then to maintain and build muscle along the way.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• hellsbells28
    Options
    Hi, I am almost the same measurements as you. I have 2g of protein to every kg I weigh so currently on 110g protein a day. I am also doing strength training for the muscle build. I am using one protein shake a day to get the protein in without too many extra calories whilst I loose the last 5kg, Hope that helps x
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am almost the same measurements as you. I have 2g of protein to every kg I weigh so currently on 110g protein a day. I am also doing strength training for the muscle build. I am using one protein shake a day to get the protein in without too many extra calories whilst I loose the last 5kg, Hope that helps x

Thanks for your reply - I only consume around 60-70g protein currently. How can I up this without having too many more calories?! I add protein powder to a smoothie 3 days a week but that's about it. Thanks!
  • DaveQ6
    DaveQ6 Posts: 1
    Options
    To keep the calories down you need to look at the type of protein you are taking in. skinless breast V Thighs with skin on for example. If you are using shakes have a look at using a Whey protein powder as this is low in added sugars.

The other factor is when to eat your protein. If you are looking to build muscle then it is useful to eat within the 30 minutes of working out. The trick, however, and this would appear to go against commonly held beliefs you should be accompanying this with a small amount of sugars so for example a commercial protein shake made with milk. The reason for this is that when your muscles get tired they use up all their supply of energy and this needs to be replaced. if you eat the protein at the same time then the muscles suck both in and this process helps build the muscle. Sorry for going on and hope it helps
    Dave
  • angelklok
    angelklok Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Whey protein isolate has less fat and calories than regular whey protein. You can have 2-3 shakes a day mixed with water. I try to get one gram of protein for every pound of body weight. Good luck!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try to lose more weight.

I would eat at/or slightly above maintenance and start a resistance training routine 3-4 days/week.

• abartraw3
    Options
    Hi Katiejanecollins,
    I had gastric bypass surgery last August. As preparation for the surgery, I had to undergo nutritional counseling. I am 5'10" and 51 years. My goal Protein for the day is 70 - 80 g. per the counselor (My wife is the same height as me and her goal was set at that as well). Another great help is using dense, lean proteins when you eat. These help fill you up and keep your body satisfied for longer periods. I drink Premier Protein pre-mixed shakes. Each shake is 30 g. of protein which is a good amount for a single serving of anything. If you have a chance, go look up the values of these shakes. They are high in vitamin value, low in sugar, calories and carbs. I drink 2 of these (breakfast and lunch) 4 days a week, one of them (breakfast) 2 days a week and none 1 day a week (thats my cheat day...Saturday :8-) ). Hope this helps!
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Based on your stats as given - you need 96-100 grams of lean protein a day to maintain. If you want to increase lean mass (which helps burn calories) you'll need to lift some heavy stuff and eat a little more protein. That said, I'd shoot for 105 grams protein in around 1450 calories per day.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Thanks - I've just set my diary to maintenance, it now says 1800 calories and 90g protein. Sound ok?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I've just set my diary to maintenance, it now says 1800 calories and 90g protein. Sound ok?

go into MFP custom setting and put your macro % on 35 protein/35 carbs/30 fats….

make sure that you get about 80 to 90 grams a day of protein and fill in rest with carbs and fats….
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

go into MFP custom setting and put your macro % on 35 protein/35 carbs/30 fats….

make sure that you get about 80 to 90 grams a day of protein and fill in rest with carbs and fats….

I can't find where to edit it?
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

Ah found it! I've done that and it's changed my protein to 158g a day... seems loads for 35%?
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I use eggwhite protein powder, and eat lots of eggs, chicken, salmon, I shoot for 180....it's hard to hit...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Ah found it! I've done that and it's changed my protein to 158g a day... seems loads for 35%?

well you do not have to eat 150 grams ...the percent's are just a target so that you know you are hitting your minimums..

if you want you can adjust the protein % down to say 25% so that it gives you closer to 100 grams...

• katiejanecollins
    Options

well you do not have to eat 150 grams ...the percent's are just a target so that you know you are hitting your minimums..

if you want you can adjust the protein % down to say 25% so that it gives you closer to 100 grams...

Ok I'll do that - thanks :)