Creatine?

Options
Has anyone used Creatine for a post weight work out supplement? If so have you seen any results? and what is you opinion on Creatine? Thx

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think you may be mistaken on the use of creatine.

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/
  • usmcmp
    Options
    In my experience creatine has helped my gym performance by allowing me to squeeze out an extra rep. I like the way my muscles feel full when I am using creatine. It's cheap, so to me it is worth trying. One of few supplements that I actually use.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    In my experience creatine has helped my gym performance by allowing me to squeeze out an extra rep. I like the way my muscles feel full when I am using creatine. It's cheap, so to me it is worth trying. One of few supplements that I actually use.

Do you take it everyday? Or only on work out days? Does it matter if you take it prior/post to a work out? Or can you takeit at anytime?
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    In my personal view Creatine, along with protein supplement are the two staples to use in trying to build muscle safely. Neither are a substitute for a good diet though (although it's virtually impossible to achieve 5g per day of Creatine in diet alone). I did a lot of research on the subject before I tried it and came to the conclusion that it was safe, useful, natural (obviously not in supplement form) and economical enough for me to try it and I have been pleased with the results.
  • MrCoolGrim
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    In my personal view Creatine, along with protein supplement are the two staples to use in trying to build muscle safely. Neither are a substitute for a good diet though (although it's virtually impossible to achieve 5g per day of Creatine in diet alone). I did a lot of research on the subject before I tried it and came to the conclusion that it was safe, useful, natural (obviously not in supplement form) and economical enough for me to try it and I have been pleased with the results.

Do you experience any bloating?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »

Do you take it everyday? Or only on work out days? Does it matter if you take it prior/post to a work out? Or can you takeit at anytime?

Read the examine link. There is a Q&A section based upon peer reviewed studies.
  • usmcmp
    Options

You should really read that link I posted.

Creatine is best when taken daily because your body needs time to load your muscles. There is no optimal time to take it, so you could put it in your morning coffee or take it right before bed. There is no need to do a loading period where you take multiple servings in a day, simply taking 5g daily will load your muscles.

Creatine monohydrate can cause minor stomach issues in a small portion of the population, but micronized creatine is generally well tolerated.

Please go read the link I posted.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Do you experience any bloating?

Some do. Some don't. I don't personally. I use creatine daily, 5g's/day (1 serving). I've experienced an increase in what I would consider "fatigued strength" or the last few reps. It's not exponential, but it's noticeable, safe, and cheap. I say go for it. Drink a lot of water, but that's a staple with or without creatine (more important with it, though).
  • MrCoolGrim
    Options

You should really read that link I posted.

Creatine is best when taken daily because your body needs time to load your muscles. There is no optimal time to take it, so you could put it in your morning coffee or take it right before bed. There is no need to do a loading period where you take multiple servings in a day, simply taking 5g daily will load your muscles.

Creatine monohydrate can cause minor stomach issues in a small portion of the population, but micronized creatine is generally well tolerated.

Please go read the link I posted.

Thank you for the article!
  • slideaway1
    Options
    In terms of bloating, I was a bit worried about that at first, but I never experienced it. The weight on the scale might increase a bit, but that is obviously not fat but water weight. As I drink over 3 litres of water a day as well then your water weight might increase a bit and show on the scale. Do not let this increase scare you though as it's not fat. I do not physically feel bloated (around the stomach I assume you mean). I just feel stronger and fuller. It's by no means a miracle supplement though. Just give it a try and see what you think.
  • MrCoolGrim
    Options
    I have read the article but one question in not referenced. Is it okay to continue using creatine when in a cutting phase?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I have read the article but one question in not referenced. Is it okay to continue using creatine when in a cutting phase?

Yes. Creatine is for gym performance, not recovery or building. You still need to perform well when cutting.
  • usmcmp
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When creatine is introduced to the body it binds with phosphate molecules. As we lift (or sprint) our bodies use an energy source called Adenosine Tri-Phosphate (ATP). When ATP is used a phosphate molecule is broken off to release energy, resulting in Adenosine Di-Phosphate (ADP). Our bodies need another free phosphate molecule to create ATP to be able to continue providing energy for exercise. Creatine is stored in the muscles and holds the extra phosphate molecules, allowing our bodies to crank out just a little bit more.
  • MrCoolGrim
    Options
    When creatine is introduced to the body it binds with phosphate molecules. As we lift (or sprint) our bodies use an energy source called Adenosine Tri-Phosphate (ATP). When ATP is used a phosphate molecule is broken off to release energy, resulting in Adenosine Di-Phosphate (ADP). Our bodies need another free phosphate molecule to create ATP to be able to continue providing energy for exercise. Creatine is stored in the muscles and holds the extra phosphate molecules, allowing our bodies to crank out just a little bit more.

Thanks for all the responses!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    There is actually some newer research coming out that suggests Creatine has anti-catabolic properties to it. Dr. John Berardi has even come out and written an article based on that and prescribes Creatine consumption during different portions of the diet. I think the research is pretty new and warrants further research and hopefully more researchers are conducting such studies and we'll see something in a year or two.

**no I don't have the 2 studies readily available... a keyword search on PubMed or Google Scholar should help if interested.
  • slideaway1
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    There is actually some newer research coming out that suggests Creatine has anti-catabolic properties to it. Dr. John Berardi has even come out and written an article based on that and prescribes Creatine consumption during different portions of the diet. I think the research is pretty new and warrants further research and hopefully more researchers are conducting such studies and we'll see something in a year or two.

**no I don't have the 2 studies readily available... a keyword search on PubMed or Google Scholar should help if interested.

Thanks for that info mate.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Thanks for that info mate.

You're welcome. The implications are pretty awesome if additional research can prove it out or at least draw some strong conclusions. It's kind of like were some academics are calling Vitamin-D a pro-hormone instead of vitamin because of what they're finding out about it, Creatine may one day become more than a pre-workout supplement. Research is also finding good support of Creatine have properties that help cognition and have been used as part of therapy in patients with Parkinson's and Hutchinson's disease.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Just posting to follow along. Good stuff here.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've definitely noticed improvements in my strength while using it. I take it every day and have noticed no bloat.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I just want to say I've been following along and was "sold" enough to go pick up a big supply of this myself. I think I made a mistake in buying the powder version -- I have no idea how to get 5g of that stuff up my nostrils.

I kid, I kid.

But seriously -- is it more or less ok to mix the powder with anything? I was thinking of putting it in my cereal or yogurt. I read somewhere that ideally it's taken concurrent with an insulin spike for maximal absorption.