Mercury content in tuna

Options
LiftingRiot
LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
Does anyone eat copious amounts of tuna for the prtein? Any worries about mercury poisoning?

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I avoided tuna for about 10 years (childbearing years). I now eat Wild Planet brand tuna occasionally. I wouldn't eat it daily, personally. You can google to find the best types/lowest mercury.
  • nowweseeyou
    nowweseeyou Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm110591.htm

Here is a helpful link from the FDA.

I'm sure there are other sources but they confirmed what I thought. I love fish and used to eat it 4x's a week. I've slowed down to once a week recently but the topic of mercury swam in my mind quite a bit. (See what I did there?)

Let me know if you find other resources.
  • LiftingRiot
    Options
    I was eating two cans a day for tuna. It was always recommended as a protein source for body building. I stopped eating tuna. Switched to salmon and chicken
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sardines are low in Mercury and very high in omega 3. They are also more sustainable than tuna. A better option in my opinion.
  • LiftingRiot
    Options
    I'm trying to find something that won't stink up my office too much and eat on the fly. Not like tuna was a good option for that in the first place. I will try the sardine route and see how it goes.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    You can buy canned, shredded or chunk, chicken as well. A little less smelly.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I try to limit tuna to 2x per week.

Sardines are smelly. Not as smelly as tuna, but still.

You might try jerky as an option. I like smoked salmon for that type of food, often rolled with some cucumber or radish or similar for crunch. Otherwise, my protein go-to is baked chicken in ziplock bags. Portable, non-stinky. Tasty if made with sufficient seasonings.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    the recommendations are mainly aimed at women, as methylmercury has a long halflife and the low level effects are most seen in any developing cells and tissues.

Adult males are the most tolerant for methylmercury intake and any adverse effects.
  • LiftingRiot
    Options
    I'm going to try bringing a couple of chicken legs a day to work for my midday protein snack. Still cost friendly and less aroma.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    salmon is a good alternative to tuna as well.
  • LiftingRiot
    Options
    Cost is a major factor here too. Since in trying to bulk. I'm eating constantly and it's expensive
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I eat a can two or three times a week, I am not even remotely worried.

Plus, it's just damn delicious.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    wellsjr79 wrote: »
    Cost is a major factor here too. Since in trying to bulk. I'm eating constantly and it's expensive
    Costco.

Canned tuna/salmon is super cheap. Like $7 for 6 cans.
  • LiftingRiot
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    I eat a can two or three times a week, I am not even remotely worried.

Plus, it's just damn delicious.

I was eating 10 cans a week. Bit much so I was concerned. Didn't know if it was hoopla or not.