Do I need to cut back on carbs

Options
katiejanecollins
katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I eat around 200g carbs per day which is way above my allowance, but I can't seem to cut back! 25-30g of those come from fruit, but the rest come from oats/bread/rice cakes/pasta/rice/snack bars. Any lunch/snack alternatives that would help me cut back?

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Why? What macro are you falling short in? 200g carbs is right about my goal level, and I have my macros set for 40-30-30.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Why? What macro are you falling short in? 200g carbs is right about my goal level, and I have my macros set for 40-30-30.

Mine are set to 35% carbs, 35g% protein & 30% fat. I hardly touch the fat and protein, but consume endless carbs :\
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Eat more meat, eggs, full-fat dairy, nuts and nut butters.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Reduce the serving of the starchy food and increase the serving of whatever has what you tend to be low on (usually protein). Also, you can sub some veggies for a starch or to make up for having a smaller serving of the starch.

For example, instead of a sandwich for lunch, maybe a salad with protein or a half sandwich and a soup (with veggies and protein, not noodles). For dinner have less rice and more veggies or substitute root veggies or winter squash for potatoes, stuff like that. And then you probably have calories left to have more of the protein course or add in avocado or whatever fits your goals and you like.

Also, there are snack bars with better macro ratios.
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »

For lunch I'd love to have chicken salad, but I eat what my Mum buys and can't afford my own food - making it tricky
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Reduce the serving of the starchy food and increase the serving of whatever has what you tend to be low on (usually protein). Also, you can sub some veggies for a starch or to make up for having a smaller serving of the starch.

For example, instead of a sandwich for lunch, maybe a salad with protein or a half sandwich and a soup (with veggies and protein, not noodles). For dinner have less rice and more veggies or substitute root veggies or winter squash for potatoes, stuff like that. And then you probably have calories left to have more of the protein course or add in avocado or whatever fits your goals and you like.

Also, there are snack bars with better macro ratios.

For dinner I always have 70g of carbs (whether it be rice/pasta/noodles) with 35g veg and 50-100g meat and a sauce. Are there too many carbs in there?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »

For lunch I'd love to have chicken salad, but I eat what my Mum buys and can't afford my own food - making it tricky

For this it really then becomes about serving size--less rice, more meat and veggies.

If it's difficult I'd focus on getting the protein up if you are truly low (lots of women are, it seems), but maybe adjust the macros to 40-30-30 or even the MFP default to make it easier.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Mine are set to 35% carbs, 35g% protein & 30% fat. I hardly touch the fat and protein, but consume endless carbs :\

Have you tried to pre-plan your day around protein and fat? I will usually create a backbone and decide what protein I'm eating for the day, for example eggs, fish, chicken, dairy etc, then I enter in the fats (oils, nuts, butters), then fill the rest with carbs.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I think you're overthinking. You have your carb macro set pretty low, why not try bumping it up a little bit.

Also, you seem to be getting a bit anxious about your transition into maintenance. Relax and try not to get too caught up in micromanaging and criticizing your body!
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Have you tried to pre-plan your day around protein and fat? I will usually create a backbone and decide what protein I'm eating for the day, for example eggs, fish, chicken, dairy etc, then I enter in the fats (oils, nuts, butters), then fill the rest with carbs.

No but that's a good idea! What sort of things do you eat for lunch?
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    I think you're overthinking. You have your carb macro set pretty low, why not try bumping it up a little bit.

Also, you seem to be getting a bit anxious about your transition into maintenance. Relax and try not to get too caught up in micromanaging and criticizing your body!

I'd rather cut back than change my allowance to make it higher as having read a ton of posts on it, people are eating way less carbs than I am! (and they have similar goals)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I eat what my Mum buys and can't afford my own food

So you need to retrain her, or you're screwed. No point in asking what to eat here if your diet is preselected by another.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

No but that's a good idea! What sort of things do you eat for lunch?

Well my intake and carb % differs from yours I am sure, but usually have a light lunch: a veggie cheese omelette (2 eggs + egg whites) with salsa on a pita or tortilla with a side of fruit, or a salmon sandwich, chicken quesadilla, sometimes leftovers from the night before (meat, potatoes/rice/legumes, veggies) etc
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I eat what my Mum buys and can't afford my own food

So you need to retrain her, or you're screwed. No point in asking what to eat here if your diet is preselected by another.

It's not just about what I'm eating, I'm happy with that (apart from the snack bars and lunch choices) it's also about portion sizes. Advice with that would be great. I'm moving out this year, so if I can understand this better by then, then I'll get the food shopping right first time.