How much did you lose in your first two months?

Options
This question is intended for those who started out with over 100 lbs to lose. How much weight did you lose in those initial months of healthy living? How many inches did you lose?

I'm currently wearing pants with a 46 waist, and would like to fit into a 42 waist by the end of July. Is this too much to expect? For shirts, I wear a XXL, but would like to fit (comfortably) into XLs.

I really need to get back into those sizes before August, but I'm worried that I'm expecting too much.

Replies

• katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    I have lost 27 pounds (1 day shy of 60 days). I am doing to this to become healthy and not for a certain event with a deadline like a high school reunion. Every person is different - depends on how much you like to exercise, etc.

I haven't been measuring so I can't comment on that part.

The time will pass whether or not you do anything :) Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    15ish, but I didn't have a scale when I started really.... I had 70ish lbs to lose.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    -8 the first month, -5.5 the second. I'm a slow loser (perfectly happy with those numbers - but most others lose a lot more at first)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 30 pounds in the first 2 months I was seriously buckled down. Good luck :)
  • Neshmi
    Neshmi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My "deadline" is totally self-imposed, and not my ultimate goal. It's just that I am leaving the country for six weeks and will be working outdoors, so I really want to fit into the gear I have that is currently too small. I'll be saving a lot of money if I can squeeze into things by the end of July. It's really just an issue of practicality for the moment.

I'd be happy to spend my money on even smaller clothes eventually, but luckily I kept most of my stuff from my thinner days.

I'm really hoping to drop down to about 285-290 by the end of July, which is about 25-30 lbs from where I am today.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    LOL, you're so practical - money can be a great motivator!

I lost 15 pounds in my first two months on MFP. You can meet your goal if you work hard enough! I have a lot to lose & am content to lose 2#/week. That's working for me and I am looking at this as my new forever lifestyle and not a diet. If you have a short term goal of fitting into your equipment, go for it! You may not be able to maintain it long-term by it should be a great kick-start!

Good Luck & keep us posted! Send me a friend request if you want...
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it x

My husband had a 46 inch waist end beginning of May and he is in a 42 atm but they're looking baggy on him. He started cutting down, hard as he gave up smoking at the same time but he did it. Three weeks ago he joined the gym and goes five days a week as he has an office job so doesn't get much exercise during the day.
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you have more than a 100 lbs to lose then you can easily lose 20 - 30 lbs in two months. (It's not considered healthy, but...)

Just set your goal to 2 lbs a week and never go over your allotted calories and move, move, move. (Start lifting heavy right now too) I predict if you work hard at it and stick to the plan you will lose 20 to 30 pounds in your desired time frame.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    THIS time around, 28lbs.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Probably about 28lbs over the two months. I weighed myself weekly, didn't deny myself and didn't track all the time and the lack of pressure was what worked for me. I've managed to carry it on so far. I think if you are going to approach this you need to consider the fact you may not drop exactly that weight in two months by doing it properly - and if you were to be too restrictive, the weight is likely to go back on once you stop.
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    51 pounds. I started at 342 on 21 Jan 2013, and was down to 291 on 18 Mar. It can be done, but you have to be dedicated and ready to work, and make some serious life style changes.
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    20 lbs :smile:
  • Neshmi
    Options
    51 pounds. I started at 342 on 21 Jan 2013, and was down to 291 on 18 Mar. It can be done, but you have to be dedicated and ready to work, and make some serious life style changes.

That's incredible! How did you accomplish that? Also, any idea how your other measurements changed in that time span?
  • Neshmi
    Options
    I think you can do it x

My husband had a 46 inch waist end beginning of May and he is in a 42 atm but they're looking baggy on him. He started cutting down, hard as he gave up smoking at the same time but he did it. Three weeks ago he joined the gym and goes five days a week as he has an office job so doesn't get much exercise during the day.

From 46 to 42 already? That's awesome, and exactly what I was hoping to hear. I've yo-yo'd quite a bit the last few years, but never tracked anything besides weight, so I had no idea what kind of changes to expect in terms of pants size and how long it would take. I'm tracking everything now.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    About 6-8lbs but my body is a freak :sad:
  • Neshmi
    Options
    LOL, you're so practical - money can be a great motivator!

I lost 15 pounds in my first two months on MFP. You can meet your goal if you work hard enough! I have a lot to lose & am content to lose 2#/week. That's working for me and I am looking at this as my new forever lifestyle and not a diet. If you have a short term goal of fitting into your equipment, go for it! You may not be able to maintain it long-term by it should be a great kick-start!

Good Luck & keep us posted! Send me a friend request if you want...

Money IS a great motivator. So is health, fitness, looking great, feeling great. There's just so many ways that being a healthy weight can improve life. At least that's how I see it. However, my lifestyle change goes beyond just weight loss, and money is definitely an area where I'm trying to be more responsible, so to speak. Kinda like bad food choices, I'm trying to avoid unnecessary purchases wherever possible. My closet full of nice clothes reminds me every day that I don't need to buy anything to dress well, I just have to do things right in terms of eating and exercise and I get to go "shopping" in my closet as I drop weight. Total lifestyle change!!
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    In the first 5 weeks, I took off 25 lbs...each person will be different though...I started at 260 lbs...It is my understanding that the heavier the person, the more they initially take off...water weight, exercise, and diet will dictate what happens for each individual. I didn't measure initially so I don't know how many inches I lost. From January 7 to now, I have gone from a size 20/22 to a size 14/16 if that helps. Brand, store, and cut of clothes matter so those sizes aren't accurate across the board. I went into a store a week or so ago and could fit an XL in the workout clothes.

Good Luck...Be Patient...we didn't get here overnight & it won't come off overnight.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it x

From 46 to 42 already? That's awesome, and exactly what I was hoping to hear. I've yo-yo'd quite a bit the last few years, but never tracked anything besides weight, so I had no idea what kind of changes to expect in terms of pants size and how long it would take. I'm tracking everything now.

To be honest his weight hasn't changed a lot, he hasn't dropped that much weight. He went into hospital last July and was 20 and a half stone, he hadn't been on the scale since then and refused to use mine. He weighed himself at the gym the other week and he was 18 and a half. So there is no way of knowing how much he has lost in the time frame. The important thing is not to rely on the scale, measure yourself and judge how your clothes fit :D
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options

That's incredible! How did you accomplish that? Also, any idea how your other measurements changed in that time span?

I went from 48 pants down to 44 to 42. Shirts went from 4&5XL down to 2&3XL. I have definitely come to find out that as I go down in sizes, the brand of the clothes determines the size I wear. And for who I did it, a lot of work and eating much better than I had been.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Today is my one year anniversary here. I started "watching" things mid May but used weight in May as my starting weight.
    Pulled up my stats and in the first month I lost approx 19 lbs. By next month it was a total of 28 lbs from day one, by third month I was down a total of about 35 lbs down. Of late the loss has slowed but I still have about 40 or so lbs I'd like to drop.