Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
Hey everyone! I am thinking about getting a heart rate monitor that tracks how many calories I burn. My questions is....will it be accurate for me? My sitting heart rate is about 120. I was on medication to slow it down but it caused my blood pressure to get so low I was passing out. I am a little worried that it will estimate my calorie burn to be much higher than it actually is. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It will not be accurate for calorie burns. It will accurately measure your heart rate.

Calorie burns are calculated assuming that when your heart rate is at a certain percentage of your maximum during steady state aerobics, your oxygen intake is at a certain percentage of your maximum. This oxygen is being used to metabolize fat, so it can use your HR to estimate this amount.

With you, this isn't even remotely accurate.

That being said, you can use it for training purposes and trending. Essentially self-adjusting the estimated burns.

And, of course, if you are tachycardiac you should talk to your doctor before beginning any exercise regimen.