Fruit and veggie portions?

Options
how are we supposed to eat eight servings of fruit and veggies when a medium banana is 100 calories?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you can't fit a 100 calorie banana into your goals, cut it in half and save the other half for tomorrow.

Also, "medium banana" is unreliable - who decides what medium is? Better to weigh the banana in grams on a food scale, and record that way.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Choosing a variety of fruits and veggies is key. Only eating a portion works, but rather than eating what you're used to (banana's and apples were my go to fruits), switch it up and eat fresh berries. These have less sugar and more nutrients. They are also easier to measure in smaller portions, and can be added to plain greek yogurt, which provides protein and keeps you full longer.

There are so many veggies out there. We used to be a green bean and corn family. Now we regularly cook brussel sprouts, cauliflower, or when in season a big platter of cucumbers and tomatoes are on the table.

Good luck - it's all about planning ahead.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I generally eat 2 servings of fruit per day and 4-6 or more servings of vegetables. Greater ratio of veg to fruit.

Also, I don't know too many guys that need to do a whole lot of hand wringing over 100 calories. I lose easily at 2000 - 2300 calories per day as most guys would...a 100 calorie banana is a drop in the bucket.