Endometriosis, weight loss, and yaz

Options
I hate hormones, hate hate hate them. Unfortunately I hate the pain and bleeding my endometriosis causes MORE. During my cycles I have low iron and go through 1-2 heavy tampons an hour for 5-7 days STRAIGHT. Some months I spot/bleed CONSTANTLY and still get my week of hell. head aches, groin, hip, bowel, nausea, fatigue, and stomach pain are a constant combination during my periods. Endometriosis is literally destroying my sanity every month at a time causing me to be on antidepressants. So I finally cracked and my doctor recommended yaz only take the active pills no sugar pills. no period no problems right? I would love to hear from those who have taken yaz about weight loss or gain that you experienced. i would especially love to hear from those who take yaz AND have endo. thank you ladies!

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm on Yaz. I realize that there are risks. But, I have acne and it was either Yaz or Accutane. Both suck.

If the goal is to miss periods, why Yaz? Why not the depo shot? Or Seasonique?
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I take a generic form of Yaz and I have been on it now for 7 years. I've never had an issue with it - yes there are side effects but actually it did wonderful things for me. It decreased the length and pain associated with my periods and when I combined it with a weightlifting program and cardio I actually barely have any pain now. I'm even able to work out on day 1 and 2 when I use to barely be able to do anything without fainting on those days. It also decreased the length overall by about 2 days. I love it. I know friends who tried it who didn't have the same results that I did, everyone seems to react differently but for me it was the right call.

I did have a little bit of trouble with weight gain when I went on it and put on about 10-15 lbs pretty quickly (3-4 months) which took me a long time to drop, but I've managed to drop them now with mfp and my weightlifting.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was on Yasmin - which is a similar to Yaz in terms of production and composition of chemicals/products in it and is made by the same company (or at least it was).

So the thing about the pill in general is that is doesn't regulate your period - or in your case, get rid of it - it's all smoke and mirrors. Yes you can control it, and when you technically get it. But in general, it's smoke and mirrors.

Like others said - why Yaz? The reason I ask is because I had 3 pulmonary embolisms (I also found out I have a Protein S deficiency, which makes clotting easier but to put some perspective on this I didn't have any issues until I started on Yasmin. I was watched closely but didn't need any medical intervention; now I'm on warfarin (oral, daily blood thinners) forever) on Yasmin and there's several class action law suits against Bayer right now because of it. I am now on LouLou, which I really like and hasn't given me any issues.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The doc said yaz is a low hormone birth control specifically for PMDD and will help the endometriosis from advancing. she also has personally has taken for 7 years for her endometriosis. Its not just for stopping my period but apparently helps with the symptoms associate with endometriosis that I may still have whether or not i have a period.
  • mrsmammahunter
    Options
    I took yasmin as a teenager for 2 years didnt have any problems, I dont smoke or have any other family history of high blood pressure or blood clots.
  • mrsmammahunter
    Options
    "What makes Yasmin and Yaz different from many other birth control pills is that drospirenone was never used in birth control pills sold in the U.S. prior to the introduction of Yasmin and Yaz."

drospirenone is what specifically makes yas and yazmin more dangerous but specifically helps with endo from what i have read .
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't take yaz but I just would like to empathize with you. Endo is awful. I was in terrible pain for years. I finally had a hysterectomy. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do but I feel better now. You look young. Sometimes the choices out there aren't perfect but they work well for endo patients. My dr. recommended the mirena iud years ago. I'm not sure if that is still an option.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I took Yasmin when it was still relatively new. I also have endo. I don't remember a lot about it, specifically, other than it seemed to help my cycles/symptoms a good deal. Maybe not any better than any other HBC, though. They all kill my libido, so once I knew I was done having kids I had thermal ablation. Now my cycles are stupidly short, but I only spot and have almost no cramping issues.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't take Yaz, but another OCP called Minulet. I have severe endo, and after three major operations and a course of hormone replacement therapy before the age of 18, it was suggested that I take the OCP continuously to prevent monthly bleeds.

I have done this for nearly 16 years now, and for myself, it was the best thing I could ever have done. I have needed no more surgeries for division of adhesions, and I can totally control if and when I want a bleed ( I travel a lot, so this is particularly helpful.) I also tried Mirena at one point, which did not work for me.

I realise you were asking more specifically about Yaz and weight control. While not on Yaz, I can tell you I've found having a constant steady state of hormone levels means that I don't have the fluid swings, PMS or bloating that many women experience monthly, so weighing yourself as a tool for weight loss is easier!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents - I've been taking YAZ for years and I'm having no problems dropping the weight. It's not coming off fast, but it's coming off. If you stick to your allotted calorie daily and be patient the weight WILL come off.
  • iamchuckbass78
    iamchuckbass78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have horrible hormone issues as well. I know the struggle. Drs are always trying to put me on birth control to regulate my hormones. The first few months are always good, but ends up causing big problems. Yaz was great for about 3 months. I even dropped 10 lbs very quickly. Then it was like getting hit by a truck. I gained 20 lbs, had weekly migraines, and other symptoms that took me almost a year to get out of my system.
  • mrsmammahunter
    Options
    Catter_05 wrote: »
    I don't take yaz but I just would like to empathize with you. Endo is awful. I was in terrible pain for years. I finally had a hysterectomy. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do but I feel better now. You look young. Sometimes the choices out there aren't perfect but they work well for endo patients. My dr. recommended the mirena iud years ago. I'm not sure if that is still an option.

I am 23 been married for 5 years we have 2 small children and done having kids, my husband got a vasectomy but they still wont give me a vasectomy or an ablation. The only thing they offered me is pain medication and i'm not willing to be a zombie about my babies.
  • mrsmammahunter
    Options
    kmca1803 wrote: »
    I don't take Yaz, but another OCP called Minulet. I have severe endo, and after three major operations and a course of hormone replacement therapy before the age of 18, it was suggested that I take the OCP continuously to prevent monthly bleeds.

I have done this for nearly 16 years now, and for myself, it was the best thing I could ever have done. I have needed no more surgeries for division of adhesions, and I can totally control if and when I want a bleed ( I travel a lot, so this is particularly helpful.) I also tried Mirena at one point, which did not work for me.

I realise you were asking more specifically about Yaz and weight control. While not on Yaz, I can tell you I've found having a constant steady state of hormone levels means that I don't have the fluid swings, PMS or bloating that many women experience monthly, so weighing yourself as a tool for weight loss is easier!

Thank you for taking the time to write me your mini story i have tons of information to check out with my doctor at the 3 month check in. I just dont want to have a good 3 months and have a false sense of hope then BAM yaz makes it worse (if thats possible).
  • mrsmammahunter
    Options
    So i am almost done with month 2 and its terrible I have never had acne in my life.... I HAVE ACNE , bloating is BETTER but still present, periods have lightened to a regular flow but its still 2 1/2 weeks long pain is better but i have a ton of migraines.
  • joellevh
    joellevh Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had endo. I just had a full hysterectomy in Sept of last year. I feel 100 times better. However, I have 1 child who is 8 and my baby days are long gone.. The only bc that worked for me was the copper IUD.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry it's not helping at all! I would get a second opinion on the hysterectomy. If I was in your shoes, that's the route I would go... or at least the ablation. Sorry you're still dealing with this!
  • mrsmammahunter
    Options
    Saw the doc he put me on a high estrogen birth control.... he says he wants to try one more time before sending me to a woman doctor to discuss ablation. I have been bleeding for 20 days straight I dont even know 100% how much i actually weigh anymore because of this. I have to wait 2 months before going in to check with the doctor again to get the referral. I go to a military hospital (husband is active) and they do things really screwy because of tri-care. I am at my wits end. Its great to find other woman who have dealt with this though makes me feel like im not alone thanks guys!
  • mrsmammahunter
    Options
    Last time i went in i said to my doc (who is male) "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MANY BOXES OF TAMPONS I GO THROUGH A MONTH!!?!?!" lol poor guy blushed