Savory oatmeal?

Options
Has anyone tried savory oatmeal? What are your favorite recipes?

Replies

• Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of savoury oatmeal but once in a while it's good. I usually make my oats with water, a vegetable (broccoli florets or peas etc.) throw in some ham or bacon and then make an over easy egg for the top. It was pretty YUMM considering I usually eat my oatmeal sweet. You could also add some butter, Parmesan cheese and some Italian spices to the plain oatmeal. Don't overthink it, just throw stuff in :P
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Yum, yum, yum, yum -- it's surprisingly yummy. I treat it sort of like I would a risotto or pilaf. Make the oatmeal with chicken broth instead of water and add sauteed mishrooms, grated parmesan, and the like.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    oh yum! I am so excited to try this. :) Thanks!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    First check out The Oatmeal Artist.
    Second, oatmeal made with water, 2 runny eggs, 2 strips of bacon with salt and pepper all broken up and mixed together. MMMMMMM
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Yum, yum, yum, yum -- it's surprisingly yummy. I treat it sort of like I would a risotto or pilaf. Make the oatmeal with chicken broth instead of water and add sauteed mishrooms, grated parmesan, and the like.

I might try this for dinner sometime...

• girlchemist1
    girlchemist1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal with some peanut butter and a little salt. Yum!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I've had steel cut oats with red cabbage, hard boiled egg, scallions, and some salt. I liked it. But I don't mess around with oats typically.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Skirly. But it's not very low-cal.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Cook it in chicken broth, add some parm; add it when heating up soup or beans. I love savory oats.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I like crumbling crisp bacon into oatmeal and adding a handful of blueberries. Without adding sweetener, it is savory with a hint of tart.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Ham, sliced almonds, and cucumbers.